Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There was no belittling.

You said you wanted smaller roads, I showed you how.

I said I have an excellent navigator you didnt say if you had one.

I said my way might not be your way and ridgid travel might need a ridgid gps and not something as flexible as I use.

I offered up over 20 programs for you to try because you don't like your program you now use.

I said to not follow my path if it doesn't fit your needs.

I said i was wrong in my offerings if you needed something different.

Then I offered up a tracker to keep track of you.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:18 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Did you contact RV Trip Wizard?

I sent them an email about the distance circles and received a response in a very short time.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
There was no belittling.

You said you wanted smaller roads, I showed you how.

I said I have an excellent navigator you didnt say if you had one.

I said my way might not be your way and ridgid travel might need a ridgid gps and not something as flexible as I use.

I offered uo over a dozen programs for you to try because you don't like your program you now use.

I said to not follow my path if it doesn't fit your needs.

I said i was wrong in my offerings if you needed something different.

Then i offered up a tracker to keep track of you.
Go look at the original post in this thread. What you are talking about has nothing to do with it.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #24

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Did you contact RV Trip Wizard?

I sent them an email about the distance circles and received a response in a very short time.
Yes. They were quick to reply to me about logging out and then back in to refresh my trips.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 09-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Go look at the original post in this thread. What you are talking about has nothing to do with it.
Had the information been solely for you I'd have sent a pm.
The thread has turned from what you can't do, to what map might possibly do what you want to do.

Hundreds of people will read this post, thus the 'you all' in my apology for posting programs which might do exactly what you asked allowing you to throw away the one you have which doesn't do what you want.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:58 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Had the information been solely for you I'd have sent a pm.
The thread has turned from what you can't do, to what map might possibly do what you want to do.

Hundreds of people will read this post, thus the 'you all' in my apology for posting programs which might do exactly what you asked allowing you to throw away the one you have which doesn't do what you want.
There are already thousands of posts dealing with the different apps and GPS systems that hundreds of people can view.

This started as a thread on integrating RV Trip Wizard planned trips into apps of GPS systems. There were no such threads and as usual someone wants to throw in their pet app or system that does absolutely nothing to answer the question at hand which is how to import a RV Trip Wizard trip with routes and destinations into a Garmin or Magellan GPS or some other app in a simplified manner.

And FWIW that Sygic truck GPS is nowhere close to having the functions and features of RV Trip Wizard.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #27

THOR #21941
Quote:
There are already thousands of posts dealing with the different apps and GPS systems that hundreds of people can view.

This started as a thread on integrating RV Trip Wizard planned trips into apps of GPS systems. There were no such threads and as usual someone wants to throw in their pet app or system that does absolutely nothing to answer the question at hand which is how to import a RV Trip Wizard trip with routes and destinations into a Garmin or Magellan GPS or some other app in a simplified manner.

And FWIW that Sygic truck GPS is nowhere close to having the functions and features of RV Trip Wizard.
Thank you for putting it so eloquently.

This smiley comes to mind:

Old 09-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We just returned from a "local" trip down into one of Ohio's most beautiful wooded state parks. No phone service, no internet, decent GPS - lost comm once I think.

This trip sounds like an ideal candidate for RV Trip Wizard. We navigated at least 7 different 2 lane highways through rolling wooded hilly country. 75% of the route was spotty for internet - so Google Maps was just a backup.

I relied nearly 100% on the route I had plugged into Garmin - using the method I described earlier - which works reliably, but is very tedious. This is a TYPICAL scenario for us in the Appalachian mountains within 3 - 5 hours from home. VERY poor cell service = NO INTERNET. (and no streaming "speedy data" from the Winegard ).

We have a longer trip planned middle of October to southern WV - more mountains - spotty to no internet... the nature of the beast. This makes RV Trip Wizard attractive because (from what I can tell) I can pre-plan segments of the trip at home in a browser, then "bring those into" the Garmin AND Google maps as one continuous trip. I'll of course have to watch/read details from their website, but looks promising. Note that this WV trip, as most of ours are, is a "one day - long drive" destination trip. Until the wife retires, this is a necessity. So "stops" are usually limited to meals/potty breaks.

Thanks for the suggestion! Will give the RV Trip Wizard an honest try-out.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #29

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We just returned from a "local" trip down into one of Ohio's most beautiful wooded state parks. No phone service, no internet, decent GPS - lost comm once I think.

This trip sounds like an ideal candidate for RV Trip Wizard. We navigated at least 7 different 2 lane highways through rolling wooded hilly country. 75% of the route was spotty for internet - so Google Maps was just a backup.

I relied nearly 100% on the route I had plugged into Garmin - using the method I described earlier - which works reliably, but is very tedious. This is a TYPICAL scenario for us in the Appalachian mountains within 3 - 5 hours from home. VERY poor cell service = NO INTERNET. (and no streaming "speedy data" from the Winegard ).

We have a longer trip planned middle of October to southern WV - more mountains - spotty to no internet... the nature of the beast. This makes RV Trip Wizard attractive because (from what I can tell) I can pre-plan segments of the trip at home in a browser, then "bring those into" the Garmin AND Google maps as one continuous trip. I'll of course have to watch/read details from their website, but looks promising. Note that this WV trip, as most of ours are, is a "one day - long drive" destination trip. Until the wife retires, this is a necessity. So "stops" are usually limited to meals/potty breaks.

Thanks for the suggestion! Will give the RV Trip Wizard an honest try-out.
It was pretty easy to plan the trip on the computer. It shows all of the state/national park campgrounds, KOA, Good Sam etc along the route. Click on the one you like and add it to the trip. It gives you the option of where to put it in the trip.

When I am satisfied, I output a .gpx file and then in Google MyMaps, I import that .gpx file. Unfortunately, it will load it as waypoints and draw straight lines between the waypoints. No problem, open a new layer and you can put it up to 10 of those named waypoints into each layer.

I also email myself an itinerary. That will give you a list of what to put in your Garmin.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
It was pretty easy to plan the trip on the computer. It shows all of the state/national park campgrounds, KOA, Good Sam etc along the route. Click on the one you like and add it to the trip. It gives you the option of where to put it in the trip.

When I am satisfied, I output a .gpx file and then in Google MyMaps, I import that .gpx file. Unfortunately, it will load it as waypoints and draw straight lines between the waypoints. No problem, open a new layer and you can put it up to 10 of those named waypoints into each layer.

I also email myself an itinerary. That will give you a list of what to put in your Garmin.

Hope this helps!

I was mistaken earlier my GPS is a Garmin RV 760. I sold my RM RV GPS to a trucker after it took me down so goat trails in a 37 foot motorhome. The Rm did allow me to import a trip but like you mention it stored the locations as individual points of interest that could be selected along a route.

Now I need to see if I can upload custom POIs into my Garmin by way of GPX or CSV files.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #31

THOR #21941
Quote:
I was mistaken earlier my GPS is a Garmin RV 760. I sold my RM RV GPS to a trucker after it took me down so goat trails in a 37 foot motorhome. The Rm did allow me to import a trip but like you mention it stored the locations as individual points of interest that could be selected along a route.

Now I need to see if I can upload custom POIs into my Garmin by way of GPX or CSV files.
Magellan doesn't allow that!

Old 09-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #32

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
We are about to embark on our first "big" trip in our 2021 Four Winds 28A: A trip from San Diego to Longview, WA, where my daughter lives.

We're taking the 101 up to Salinas where we'll head inland. Coming back, we're going through the Central Valley on the 5.

I bought a subscription to RV LIFE and liked its ability to plan the trip. I put in the stops, researched the overnights, etc.

That's all fine and good, but now I want to put it into some kind of GPS. I wish that RV Trip Wizard had a direct export to any GPS. Instead, you have to use some convoluted set of steps to kind of get it in.

I ended up with Google Maps and importing the GPX file, which just gave me straight lines from waypoint to waypoint, no routing. I added a layer and and put in stops, but were limited to 10. Fortunately for me, that worked for each way. A really long trip would require a layer for every couple of days unless you just put in your overnights.

Then, I tried it with an older Magellan GPS I used when I traveled for my job. There is supposed to be a GPX to MGLN converted, but I never found it, so, again, I manually put in each stop on the SMARTGPSECO.COM website and synced that with the GPS.

I'm going to try the Magellan first and have the Google Maps as a backup.

The advantage of Google Maps is that I can use my iPad. The iPhone isn't much bigger than the Magellan's screen.

I wonder why RV LIFE can't integrate directions in it's GPS app?

UPDATE: I guess I misspoke. I contacted customer support and all I had to do is log out and back in. My bad.

If you need to stop around Red Bluff - Durango is awesome. Right on the Sac River. It is a glamping location but sometimes they are worth it.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:07 PM   #33

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
If you need to stop around Red Bluff - Durango is awesome. Right on the Sac River. It is a glamping location but sometimes they are worth it.
Red Bluff is on the itinerary as a rest stop both ways!

We're trying to make it in two days each way. First time out like this. We'll see!

Old 09-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Magellan doesn't allow that!

Supposedly you can use Garmin Basecamp to do it