Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So where are the ten-speed "slushboxes"?

Old 05-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #42

State: Texas
THOR #2121
The new 10-speed automatic from Ford is presently limited to pickups and chassis cab, with the F-53 and E-Series motorhome chassis retaining the same 6R140 6-speed for now.

That’s unfortunate in my opinion, because the gas engine can benefit more from 10-speed transmission upgrade than the PowerStroke diesel, particularly on steep grades.

Who knows, maybe Ford is offering the 10-speed along with 7.3L V8 first in applications where it competes with diesel option in order to improve acceptance of new gas engine offering. With F-53 and E-Series there is no diesel option so buyers have no choice and must accept the new 7.3L V8 and 6-speed regardless.

It will be interesting (to me) to see if any RV manufacturer offers their version of a Super C based on F-550 (or F-600 a little later) with gas engine and 10-speed which will save over $10,000 compared to diesel.

With RVs normally being driven so much less than commercial trucks, the PowerStroke cost premium won’t pay for itself in fuel savings for many owners, and since both gas and diesel engines have similar power ratings, it will come down to drivability differences due to diesel’s added torque and less shifting. Perhaps the new 10-speed may make a difference with those on the fence between gas and diesel.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #44

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The new 10-speed automatic from Ford is presently limited to pickups and chassis cab, with the F-53 and E-Series motorhome chassis retaining the same 6R140 6-speed for now.

That’s unfortunate in my opinion, because the gas engine can benefit more from 10-speed transmission upgrade than the PowerStroke diesel, particularly on steep grades.

Who knows, maybe Ford is offering the 10-speed along with 7.3L V8 first in applications where it competes with diesel option in order to improve acceptance of new gas engine offering. With F-53 and E-Series there is no diesel option so buyers have no choice and must accept the new 7.3L V8 and 6-speed regardless.

It will be interesting (to me) to see if any RV manufacturer offers their version of a Super C based on F-550 (or F-600 a little later) with gas engine and 10-speed which will save over $10,000 compared to diesel.

With RVs normally being driven so much less than commercial trucks, the PowerStroke cost premium won’t pay for itself in fuel savings for many owners, and since both gas and diesel engines have similar power ratings, it will come down to drivability differences due to diesel’s added torque and less shifting. Perhaps the new 10-speed may make a difference with those on the fence between gas and diesel.

It’s certainly interesting to watch. Perhaps they simply don’t have sufficient numbers of the new transmissions for every application and are allocating them to the more popular vehicles (pickup trucks) first. My personal experience with such transmissions is pretty mixed. The nine speed in my wife’s Terrain is a marvel of smooth shifting and choosing the best gear for keeping the RPM low but I dislike it just the same. The combination of start-stop engine, turbo lag and constant shifting makes the driving experience less than stellar. Of course RVs won’t be so burdened so maybe it will be more pleasing. And actually I probably would get used to it if it was my daily ride. But in comparison with my old Jeep’s classic tech it’s vexing. The “truck-like” nature of my RV is just part of its personality.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Pete, as far as I know (read), F-53 and E-Series motorhome chassis engines will not have stop-start, and since they are naturally aspirated, there’s no turbo to have turbo lag.

If you want turbo lag and stop-start in combination with 10-speed auto (lighter-duty version though), the smaller Transit chassis should offer both. I personally hate stop-start and prefer larger naturally-aspirated engines over smaller ones with turbos.

The real benefit of 10-speed for gas engine in my opinion when installed in large and heavy motorhomes is due to it rotating about twice as fast as diesel to make same or greater power (depending on engine model about 4,000 vs 2,000 RPMs), which means climbing steep grades in lower gears (like 3rd on a 6-speed transmission) when in 40~45 MPH range.

If we look at Ford data for 6-speed below, gear spacing is much wider between 3rd and 2nd, or 3rd and 4th, than it is between the higher gears a PowerStroke diesel will be using. That puts the gas engine at a significant disadvantage when climbing in that 40~45 MPH speed range.

However, gear spacing data for the new 10-speed shows much closer steps even in lower range, so gas engine will be able to operate in efficient RPM range much more of the time. For same conditions, it’ll be in 5th gear instead of 3rd (both same ratio), so an upshift or downshift will be more possible without redlining or bogging down the engine.

I think the new 10-speed will help diesel engine also, but not as much as the new gas engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	581CD5E8-6C65-41D2-AB60-AF753087750E.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	23683   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA4EEE4D-A9D8-46B1-BE2F-052125BCAF48.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	23684  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10E15BB6-D902-4EF0-A7DA-50CA273070C9.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	23685  
Old 05-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #46

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Your posts always are interesting! None of this stuff is really important to me. I like my new rig and I’m not really into the latest and greatest tech. (I drive a 16 year old Jeep and once bought a 4 cylinder Mustang for goodness sake!). But the evolution of stuff is interesting.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #47

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
(once bought a 4 cylinder Mustang for goodness sake!)

So your "need for speed" and desire for more power than your peers is virtually nonexistent
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #48

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Your posts always are interesting! None of this stuff is really important to me. I like my new rig and I’m not really into the latest and greatest tech. (I drive a 16 year old Jeep and once bought a 4 cylinder Mustang for goodness sake!). But the evolution of stuff is interesting.

This new stuff isn’t “that” important to me either. I’m sharing information with others simply because this stuff will soon be what’s sold in place of V10, so we might as well all get up to speed (no pun intended).

My first new car which I still own is way older than your Jeep. I like some old stuff too.

I’ve also owned many 4-cylinder vehicles — about as many as all others combined. I buy the base engine when possible because they normally get better fuel economy, cost less to buy, and cost less to maintain.

I do like the promise of a V8 over my V10, but if Ford made a 4- or inline 6-cylinder version of that OHV engine, I’d have no problem with it as long as the motorhome was light enough for the smaller engine.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #49

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you really want to get up those pesky mountains faster: get yourself the right
car and driver!
See how that thing keeps going side to side on the road... he needs that Safe T Plus Stabilizer bad. I also didn't see an awning or outdoor kitchen? I don't see how he will be able to eat chips and a cold beverage with those big gloves on? Doesn't matter because I didn't see a table in the cockpit area anyway.

If you wish to see real Recreational Vehicle racing... enjoy

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote