Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2021, 03:28 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #20826
Seabee,

How did you determine your new lock assembly was made of steel?

Old 07-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #22

Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #21560
As I said, The latch mechanism, which is the thing that goes in and out when you close the door and has the slanted end (NOT the deadbolt!), in the old lock ass'y was NOT magnetic all the way through- including the end INSIDE the ass'y with the two 1/8th inch square rods. If you try to scratch it you are wasting your time. Using a magnet, it is definitely ferrous all the way through. Pot metal or a derivative is soft, scratches easily, and is NOT a ferrous material.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:15 AM   #23
Ghh

Model: A. C. E. 30.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #1348
I experienced a break of the part in mention on my 2017 Ace 30.5 this weekend. Can you buy just the plunger or do you have to buy a new unit. Everything else looks ok. Thanks
Old 08-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #24

Model: Vegas
THOR #21560
Door Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghh View Post
I experienced a break of the part in mention on my 2017 Ace 30.5 this weekend. Can you buy just the plunger or do you have to buy a new unit. Everything else looks ok. Thanks
I doubt that individual parts are available. I would just change the whole thing- It may turn into a can of worms- take it apart, then try to get everything back in place while you try to get the cover back on.
I asked for extra keys. He told me that it only comes as a kit and I could get blanks from Tri-Mark and get them cut locally. The locksmiths here carry the blanks so it was cheaper and easier to get them here.
also, read Jimeth1616 's post earlier. It may already be a "can of worms". Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
This is nuts .was this fixed after 2017?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #26

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
Not only did they not fix it, they made it worse with the lock change in 2018, IMHO. Jimeth1616 is absolutely right. I've had the same problems and my mechanic has also seen problems with the new lock. At least with the old lock there are alternatives.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
But I have a 2020 vegas..how can I tell if fixed?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #28

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
Scubawise, we are talking apples and oranges. The old lock thru 2017 can be fixed by replacing it. The newer lock is a different model and doesn't have the same problem of pot metal vs real metal. IMHO, the newer lock is a poor lock and because of its dimensions there are no aftermarket substitutes.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #29

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
THOR #24413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Woods View Post
IMHO, the newer lock is a poor lock and because of its dimensions there are no aftermarket substitutes.
I'm curious what makes the new lock poor? I just got new 2022 Vegas and the bottom lock sometimes opens when driving, even though it was verified closed. For now I can't use the top lock as it needs adjustment to fit into slot. So, clearly the lock is not perfect, but I wonder if you know of some other problems with it, which I should be aware of? Thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #30

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
I'm curious what makes the new lock poor? I just got new 2022 Vegas and the bottom lock sometimes opens when driving, even though it was verified closed. For now I can't use the top lock as it needs adjustment to fit into slot. So, clearly the lock is not perfect, but I wonder if you know of some other problems with it, which I should be aware of? Thanks
Becuz of the large size, you cannot replace with a digital lock

You need to fix your upper dead bolt becuz without it functioning properly, you will always get that partial opening from the bottom lock while traveling over bumpy roads
Old 12-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kansas
THOR #18877
How to ID a pot metal plunger

There is a way to ID which plunger that a new handle has other than a magnet, which if you're ordering a new handle is not possible. If you look at the plunger part where it goes into the handle, there are 2 dark places that are barely visible, but if they can be seen, you are seeing a pot metal part. The steel part does not have those grooves. I have yet to see one on Amazon that has a steel part.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Here are instructions for adjusting the Trimark 030-0900 door latch:
https://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/media...tment_Rev3.pdf
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #33

State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I have a 2022 Vegas and the door handle lock assembly isn't found on the Trimark website. Not sure if it's a new vendor or just a brand new design with brand new problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	35322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	35323  

Old 12-25-2021, 03:27 AM   #34

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
I had the same problem on 2016 Siesta..24ST. last month- There is a repair kit, replaces only the pot metal latch assembly with machined steel part. Easy install with good directions. Old latch must be removed from the door to repair or parts (spacers) will fall inside the door.. Repairs only one common model of trimark, see the photo..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/T507-RV-Des...d/154472314555

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:55 AM   #35

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
FWIW- Only some stainless steel is magnetic. Adding chromium and nickel in the stainless steel (higher quality) makes it less magnetic.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:13 AM   #36

State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
So this just did happen to me tonight. Stopping for the night at a Cracker Barrel off of 95S in NC. Went outside to check if I was up far enough. Door opened from outside. Went in moved up a bit then went to go into the restaurant for dinner. No luck. Door wouldn’t open from the inside. Luckily someone pulled up and I asked him to try the door. No problem. I took out the screws to see what was going on and that little plastic piece fell out and yes it was broken. I saw I could move the piece with a screwdriver so I put the inside back on leaving out the screw covered by the screen. I figured I would take the piece off in the morning again to get out. At least I could lock the door. After putting the inside piece on I tried the handle and it works perfectly.
So now my question is should I still replace the whole system even though it works but the plastic piece is off. BTW I couldn’t figure out where that piece is supposed to fit. I have a 2014 Vegas. Thanks
Old 01-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #37

State: Maryland
THOR #19595
2016 Vegas

I don’t think my doors are working correctly but they are opening and closing. To open from inside I have found that first I must open the handle for the inside screen door to release its latch and then open the outside door. When we first bought two years ago (used - and maybe a rental) it seemed the doors worked in tandem for exiting the Vegas. Maybe will help someone else on the future.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:52 PM   #38

State: British Columbia
THOR #25206
Happened to us as well on our Vegas 24.1. And yes had to climb out the window to get tools. Lock replaced. But now I leave a screw driver in the bottom drawer inside.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:59 AM   #39

State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedcom View Post
Happened to us as well on our Vegas 24.1. And yes had to climb out the window to get tools. Lock replaced. But now I leave a screw driver in the bottom drawer inside.
I have a 2014 Vegas. What brand and model did you get. Are all the door locks standard on the Vegas
Old 01-27-2022, 02:48 AM   #40

State: British Columbia
THOR #25206
https://www.amazon.ca/RV-Designer-T5...%2C169&sr=8-28

Although I think I would go for a combo one if it ever happens again. I found my failure was the lock was all cast except one very small L shaped piece that was hard plastic and it broke. Anyway, good luck.