Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #11719
Fourwinds 24f Stabilizer Jacks

Anyone know where the circuit protection is for this coach both left and right don’t work

Old 08-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I see no responses to your question yet so lets get you back to the top of the list again. It always helps if you provide the year of the coach and maybe who makes the stabilizer system (model number etc) if you can. Sometimes Thor installers don't always put things like breakers in the same place either. I can't answer your question, but if this is a Lippert electric stabilizer system the "typical" schematic info (link attached) says its a 20 amp fuse or breaker minimum. I would also expect this to be installed close to the battery location, or the jack motor location, but that is just a WAG. They also show a 6 amp reset breaker.....so if you have also have that in your system it may have also tripped. Hopefully someone with your coach will respond with better info.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-262016.html
Old 08-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I have a 24F but it is in the shop - can’t go out and look.

Looking at the wiring diagrams Thor sent me there is no mention of the stabilizers.

The LCI manual says 6amp breaker is auto reset. It also shows that each motor has a breaker but you can never be sure it was wired that way. If wired to OEM directions then both breakers would need to be bad.

The only wiring I have that heads back under the coach are the tank heaters and stabilizer. I’d check that 15 amp tank heater fuse in the power converter to make sure it is good. I bet that is where the stabilizer power is wired in.

Just a reminder - the use/store switch needs to be in use to power the stabilizers.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #27138
I have a Fourwinds 24F also and have the same issue - no power to the stabilizer jacks. Did you ever locate the breakers or fuses? or anything else that fixed the issue?
Old 06-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #5

THOR #9511
I have a rest day today so I took a closer look at my stabilizers. I have a 2017 Four Winds 24F. Neither the jacks or their wiring show up on my “as built” sheet or the coach chassis diagrams Thor sent to me. I asked Thor to send me the specs on the jacks and they couldn’t find them and sent me a generic jack manual.

From what I can tell mine are BAL Powered “C” jacks for travel trailers and fifth wheels. BAL has both manuals and installation guides on their website. My switches are mounted just inside the door under the flip-up countertop. The switches are wired a with spade lugs using 10ga wire. The wires are in a loom that goes under the coach and I have no clue where they go. I’m on a dirt site so I’m not crawling under today.

There is a wire bundle that comes out of the floor back by the jacks and mates with a molex connector going to the jacks. The standard BAL has been modified with a plate added that has two switches at each end. These are what turn on the alarm when the jacks are lowered and the ignition is on.

The jacks are suppose to be wired directly to the battery but I can’t see that on my coach. There is a self reset breaker with 10ga wire on it in the battery compartment - that might be where the power tap is. Or it could be under the bed since there is a lot of 6ga battery wire connections to tap into.

Once I get home I’ll try to figure it out - 3 weeks.

JimAttachment 38166
Attachment 38167
Old 06-17-2022, 01:29 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have 2020 Chateau 24F with stabilizers just like Jimbo12 described. I no longer use ours, as I had Big Foot hydraulic levelers installed. I once tried removing the whole bar mechanism, but the bolts were tightened by the Hulk himself... likely using red Loctite... so they're still on there.

I'll try to go out tomorrow and see how they're wired into the batteries... I might suggest popping the cover off your switches and see if you can trace the wires into a loom - which probably goes the short distance to the under-steps battery compartment - then travels back to the rear... hopefully in a wire loom along a frame rail.

Start with a volt meter at the switches to see if power is getting sent rearward to the jack motors.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #7

THOR #9511
One more piece of info - today was a driving day so I unhooked shore power and placed to use/store in store to disconnect batteries from the coach. The stabilizers still worked so they are tapped into the batteries before the latching relay.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #8

THOR #27138
Stabilizer jacks with no power

I've double-checked and there is no power to the 2 toggle switches just inside the door. And I can't determine if that power comes from the coach or house batteries. Tried the Thor Motor Coach technical call-in phone line... hours of "on hold" music, but no real people yet. there was the (automated) promise of a call back without "losing my place in line"... that was a week ago though... must be a very long line!
Old 06-24-2022, 07:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepearls View Post
I've double-checked and there is no power to the 2 toggle switches just inside the door. And I can't determine if that power comes from the coach or house batteries. Tried the Thor Motor Coach technical call-in phone line... hours of "on hold" music, but no real people yet. there was the (automated) promise of a call back without "losing my place in line"... that was a week ago though... must be a very long line!
Did you create an account on the Thor Owners Resource page and download the electrical schematics for your RV?

I suspect they will tell you the jacks are powered from the House DC buss, not the Chassis buss.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #10

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I have 2020 Chateau 24F with stabilizers just like Jimbo12 described. I no longer use ours, as I had Big Foot hydraulic levelers installed. I once tried removing the whole bar mechanism, but the bolts were tightened by the Hulk himself... likely using red Loctite... so they're still on there.

I'll try to go out tomorrow and see how they're wired into the batteries... I might suggest popping the cover off your switches and see if you can trace the wires into a loom - which probably goes the short distance to the under-steps battery compartment - then travels back to the rear... hopefully in a wire loom along a frame rail.

Start with a volt meter at the switches to see if power is getting sent rearward to the jack motors.
The red Loctite comes off easy if you heat it with a torch
Old 06-24-2022, 08:44 PM   #11

THOR #27138
Stabilizer jack power

Making progress! The Thor tech support picked up the phone. After a bit of research, they said that the power to the stabilizer jack switches comes from the coach battery. It flows from the battery to the "isolator" then through a 7.5amp inline fuse then to the switches... They said the isolator should be "under the hood" and the fuse within 2 feet of that. Any ideas on where the Isolator can be found?
Old 06-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #12

THOR #9511
The battery isolator will be tucked under the coolant overflow tank, at least on my E450. But the 7.5 amp fuse is next to the top of the overflow tank in a wire bundle clearly marked “7.5” in a black fuse holder. I can’t send a pix due to limited cell service.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #13

THOR #9511
Attachment 38307
Old 06-26-2022, 04:11 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
The battery isolator will be tucked under the coolant overflow tank, at least on my E450. But the 7.5 amp fuse is next to the top of the overflow tank in a wire bundle clearly marked “7.5” in a black fuse holder. I can’t send a pix due to limited cell service.
Exactly the same for my E-350 chassis. A little awkward to get to, but they're there!

Tags
fourwinds 24f