Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #28045
Freezer 2 Degrees - Fridge 47

New 2023 Magnitude - GE Fridge - Freezer works perfect, fridge won't go below 47. 50 AMP shore power connected, level in my garage, 50 degrees outside temp... any suggestions?

Old 09-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
New 2023 Magnitude - GE Fridge - Freezer works perfect, fridge won't go below 47. 50 AMP shore power connected, level in my garage, 50 degrees outside temp... any suggestions?
What type fridge? Residential 120volt? 12volt? Dual 12volt/Propane?

On my propane/electric there's a thermister which can be adjusted.

If propane, try using on propane and see if there's a difference.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:10 PM   #3

THOR #28045
Sorry... Residential 120. I have adjusted the "1-5" in both directions (just in case it was reversed) without any luck on getting it below 47.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #4

THOR #16721
The next thing I'd check is the voltage being delivered at the pedestal. Compressors are picky about voltage, and don't do well with under voltage.

Do you have an Electrical Management System... NOT just a simple "surge protector"? If not, I would suggest something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...003AN1UA8?th=1

It protects the entire electrical system, including appliances, from "dirty voltage" or even miswired pedestals... VERY common!

It won't let the electric connect until it runs a check. If all is okay, it connects. Otherwise, it shows an error code on the display.

Not cheap at $300, but the alternative may be MUCH more expensive damage and replacement of a refrigerator, microwave or roof top AC unit... plus the headaches involved!
Old 09-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #5

THOR #28045
I am using one actually... I feel like I have exhausted everything. If the freezer was struggling, it would make more sense but it is working perfectly.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #6

THOR #16721
Could just be a bad refrigerator? That happened to me several years back with a residential Samsung (bad circuit board). If it's new and still under warranty, I'd contact the dealer - or look in your coach documents regarding warranty.

Here's a troubleshooting guide I found:

https://samedayappliancerepair.com/b...%20as%20needed.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #7

THOR #28045
Thank you very much!
Old 09-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Several threads on this forum regarding this issue - something about air in the freezer not getting to the fridge. Try a search.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:06 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Could just be a bad refrigerator? That happened to me several years back with a residential Samsung (bad circuit board). If it's new and still under warranty, I'd contact the dealer - or look in your coach documents regarding warranty.

Here's a troubleshooting guide I found:

https://samedayappliancerepair.com/b...%20as%20needed.

Good luck!
I'd contact the fridge manufacturer for troubleshooting or warranty service.
Your rv dealer is not an appliance repair facility, they can barely do the rv repairs in most cases.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:45 PM   #10

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Quote:
I am using one actually... I feel like I have exhausted everything. If the freezer was struggling, it would make more sense but it is working perfectly.

Your freezer may be struggling. FDA recommends 0F or below. At 2F I wouldn’t consider it working perfectly. Set the controls and give it 24 hours to reach a temperature. A new fridge may take extra time to reach the correct temperature.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:51 AM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I'd contact the fridge manufacturer for troubleshooting or warranty service.
Your rv dealer is not an appliance repair facility, they can barely do the rv repairs in most cases.
That's exactly why I referenced looking in the Big Black Bag of documents/booklets etc. that Thor provides with every motorhome. Each appliance book is in there, with warranty info, phone numbers, everything needed for warranty claims.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #12

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Several threads on this forum regarding this issue - something about air in the freezer not getting to the fridge. Try a search.
Definitely look for an air flow problem between the freezer and the frig section. Often the frig is cooled by ducting controlled air from the much colder freezer.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Don't go down a rabbit hole with this issue based on some of the above recommendations......

I have a '20 Magnitude SV34 and had the same problem with the Whirlpool fridge and it is a very simple fix given your freezer is cold (so it is not the compressor or voltage issues, etc).

Most refrigerator / freezer's have an evaporator fan in the freezer that pushes the cold air from the evaporator coil down to the refrigerator compartment. There is also a manual control in the freezer usually (or could be in the fridge compartment) that controls the amount of cold air that gets down to the fridge compartment or the amount of cold air that stays in the freezer.

The evaporator motors are cheap Chinese components and they can fail in a short time. Many GE and Whirlpool fridges use the same motor and mine failed in the second year and my fridge is turned off completely 7 months out of the year.

Once the evaporator motor fails, it stops pushing cold air to the fridge. The freezer will be fine but the fridge will be in the high 40's or 50 degree range from the heavier colder air falling down to the fridge compartment instead of being forced down to it.

If you turn your temperature control to the coldest setting so the compressor starts running then open the freezer door and you don't hear a fan running in the back, your evaporator motor died (there is also a small chance there could be an ice build-up that is preventing it from spinning).

There is a plastic panel in the back of the freezer. Just remove the screws that hold it in place (you may have to use a small screw driver to remove the beauty caps that cover the screws). Then remove the back panel and you will see the evaporator coil and the motor.

If the fan is not spinning but you can hear the compressor running, turn the fridge off and remove the motor and get the numbers off it. Then search Amazon (you will need to reuse the plastic fan blades).

I bought one last year for $20 and the fridge has been working great since. I even bought another one as a spare that I carry with me in case it fails on the road. It is about a 20-minute job to replace it and not worth going to a dealer or calling GE Service if my diagnosis is correct.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #14

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Don't go down a rabbit hole with this issue based on some of the above recommendations......

I have a '20 Magnitude SV34 and had the same problem with the Whirlpool fridge and it is a very simple fix given your freezer is cold (so it is not the compressor or voltage issues, etc).

Most refrigerator / freezer's have an evaporator fan in the freezer that pushes the cold air from the evaporator coil down to the refrigerator compartment. There is also a manual control in the freezer usually (or could be in the fridge compartment) that controls the amount of cold air that gets down to the fridge compartment or the amount of cold air that stays in the freezer.

The evaporator motors are cheap Chinese components and they can fail in a short time. Many GE and Whirlpool fridges use the same motor and mine failed in the second year and my fridge is turned off completely 7 months out of the year.

Once the evaporator motor fails, it stops pushing cold air to the fridge. The freezer will be fine but the fridge will be in the high 40's or 50 degree range from the heavier colder air falling down to the fridge compartment instead of being forced down to it.

If you turn your temperature control to the coldest setting so the compressor starts running then open the freezer door and you don't hear a fan running in the back, your evaporator motor died (there is also a small chance there could be an ice build-up that is preventing it from spinning).

There is a plastic panel in the back of the freezer. Just remove the screws that hold it in place (you may have to use a small screw driver to remove the beauty caps that cover the screws). Then remove the back panel and you will see the evaporator coil and the motor.

If the fan is not spinning but you can hear the compressor running, turn the fridge off and remove the motor and get the numbers off it. Then search Amazon (you will need to reuse the plastic fan blades).

I bought one last year for $20 and the fridge has been working great since. I even bought another one as a spare that I carry with me in case it fails on the road. It is about a 20-minute job to replace it and not worth going to a dealer or calling GE Service if my diagnosis is correct.
To check if the fan is running fool the refrigerator into thinking the door is closed by pushing the fan, light button on the frame providing it has one. The evaporator fan only runs when the door is closed.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #15

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Freezer 2 Degrees - Fridge 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
To check if the fan is running fool the refrigerator into thinking the door is closed by pushing the fan, light button on the frame providing it has one. The evaporator fan only runs when the door is closed.

Yes….. The fan runs with the freezer door open if the fridge door is closed.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Read the manual. My whirlpool has a way to check diagnostics by open door, flip light switch on and off for a certain number of times, presto, in manual check mode.
Then, push the on/off so many times then the compressor turns on, repeat the process, the evaporator fan turns on etc.
Look in the papers, next to the compressor on under the front panel.
Good luck,
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote