Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2022, 12:28 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #28252
The 12v switching (clunk sound) when I switch from STORE to USE is in the "Battery Control Center", a box in the engine compartment area.

it is the solenoid type, circled (behind the circuit board. It works as it clunks and the radio and storage bin lights turn on and off with it.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:34 AM   #42

THOR #28252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

You need to trace out the 4 big wires off the splitter need to be traced out. They should go:

One to the solenoid on the leveler motor.
One to the generator for starting
One to the Trombetta relay for connecting to the battery bank
One to the 50 amp breaker and then to the battery disconnect latching relay behind the power center.
One to the solenoid on the leveler motor. - leveling jacks work
One to the generator for starting - Generator starts
One to the Trombetta relay for connecting to the battery bank ?
One to the 50 amp breaker and then to the battery disconnect latching relay - Relay works, turns on the storage lights and console radio only.

Door step also works on house power.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:10 AM   #43
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2RV View Post
so the breaker box / inverter are 12v only? or a mix of 12v and 110v?

Yes. The clunk comes from in front of the RV, behind the grill and in the power justion box. It is working as the dash radio and the storage bin lights turn on and off as you toggle the use/storage switch.

only the storage bin lights and dash stereo work right now. All other have no power.

I have the shore power disconnected ands the chassis battery disconnected so the only power source is the house battery.

Thoughts?
Gotta keep your terminology straight: You have a CONVERTER.

A CONVERTER takes 120 VAC and converters it to 12+ VDC to power DC loads from the house buss and charge batteries.

An INVERTER takes 12 VDC from the house batteries and creates 120 VAC to run selected AC loads like TVs and some plug outlets.

The Power Center houses the 120 VAC breakers on the left side and the 12 VDC load fuses on the right side. Both side "should" be labeled. There are also two large 30 or 40 amp "reverse polarity" fuses on the right; out of line with the load fuses. You need to verify all those fuses are good.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:19 AM   #44
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The 12v switching (clunk sound) when I switch from STORE to USE is in the "Battery Control Center", a box in the engine compartment area.

it is the solenoid type, circled (behind the circuit board. It works as it clunks and the radio and storage bin lights turn on and off with it.

OK, you have a BCC (battery Control Center). That's a whole different animal and takes the place of the latching relay(s) and the BIRD/Trombetta combo as well as some other functions. Are you sure yours is 1 2016? I thought they had moved away from BCCs by 2016. I know mine does not have one.

There are fuses and relays in the BCC - obviously verify all the fuses are good but otherwise you'll need to get the documentation for it to troubleshoot further.

Get you VIN and head to the Thor Owners Resource page at:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners
and create an account there so you can download all the documentation for all the equipment in your RV.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:40 AM   #45

THOR #28252
Quote:
Gotta keep your terminology straight: You have a CONVERTER.

A CONVERTER takes 120 VAC and converters it to 12+ VDC to power DC loads from the house buss and charge batteries.

An INVERTER takes 12 VDC from the house batteries and creates 120 VAC to run selected AC loads like TVs and some plug outlets.
Right.

I actually knew this just frazzled from the day I have had.

Quote:

The Power Center houses the 120 VAC breakers on the left side and the 12 VDC load fuses on the right side. Both side "should" be labeled. There are also two large 30 or 40 amp "reverse polarity" fuses on the right; out of line with the load fuses. You need to verify all those fuses are good.
Yeah, thanks, that's what I determined today. Getting to know this thing more and more which is good.

All fuses are good and have fail lights. One of the first things I checked.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:48 AM   #46

THOR #28252
Quote:
OK, you have a BCC (battery Control Center). That's a whole different animal and takes the place of the latching relay(s) and the BIRD/Trombetta combo as well as some other functions. Are you sure yours is 1 2016? I thought they had moved away from BCCs by 2016. I know mine does not have one.

There are fuses and relays in the BCC - obviously verify all the fuses are good but otherwise you'll need to get the documentation for it to troubleshoot further.

Get you VIN and head to the Thor Owners Resource page at:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners
and create an account there so you can download all the documentation for all the equipment in your RV.
You know what... it might be a 2015, I'll need to look again. I think he had it listed as a 16 and title said 15. Again, Looooong day today on several levels so burning fumes.

I think the BBC contains the issue. Some fuses are not energized at all. Maybe a relay is bad in there? Working and thinking about it. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #47

THOR #28252
Resolved!!!! Thank you all for the help.

Noting that I have a BCC I searched the forums and found this little tidbit...

Ran out and looked in my BCC and look at that, there's the reset and it is out. Pushed it in and EVERYTHING works!!!! Love it. So stoked.

If you look at my BCC pic above you can clearly see the little grey box with the button sticking out. That was the culprit.

Hope this helps someone else.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:14 PM   #48
Site Team

THOR #7035
Glad you figured it out!

That "reset" is the equivalent of the 50 ampd DC breaker on newer coaches without the BCC.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:18 PM   #49

THOR #28252
Quote:
Glad you figured it out!

That "reset" is the equivalent of the 50 ampd DC breaker on newer coaches without the BCC.
Thank you. So happy to have sorted it out and appreciate your time. I was about to take it to a shop which I did not want to do. The process has thought me a lot about the RV which is good as we are hitting the road tp live in it soon.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:26 PM   #50

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Hi, I'm Kelly, sorry to make this my first post but it is time sensitive.

2016 Thor 27.1 22k miles

Short - Bought to sell our house and live in / early retirement. We have not really used it yet. It's in very nice overall shape. We used it once, seemed fine.

My daughter is here from college and we are taking her to camp for her birthday. BUT...

ISSUE:

Noticed while parked here nothing seems to run off the house batteries. Bought a new fancy $900 Lithium battery. Same issue. Now it also looks like the auto levelers dont work either. Assuming the same issue?

Everything works when on power

Everything works when on generator

Generator starts fine.

Battery compartment switch seems to work

Battery connect is on USE

Why would the house battery now be switching in.

We leave tomorrow morning on our what is not a glamorous tent ha ha ha

HELP please

THANKS!!!
I know this is very basic but have you checked your disconnect switch? I accidently switched mine off in Florida and nothing worked on DC but everything worked when I ran the genny. Just a thought!!! Bob Trice
Old 10-29-2022, 12:01 AM   #51
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I know this is very basic but have you checked your disconnect switch? I accidently switched mine off in Florida and nothing worked on DC but everything worked when I ran the genny. Just a thought!!! Bob Trice
Did you read the thread? The OP dug in, found his issue, and resolved it. It was not the disconnect switch.