Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: New York
THOR #13482
Unhappy leveler pump runs when E-brake released

On my 2014 ACE 29.2 when I release the E-brake, engine running, the levelers are fully retracted the LCI panel will light up showing the the jacks down and the pump will run for a few seconds, repeat, like it is trying to retract the jacks. If I reset the brake it stops. This makes it hard to travel. I have replaced the controller (whole different issue). I have cycled the jacks up and down 5 times with not bubbles or foam in the hydraulic fluid tank. No leaks anywhere. The fluid in the tank is about 1 inch from the top of the tank. I am at a lose and hope this forum can help as they have in the past for me.

David

Old 06-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
leveler pump runs when E-brake released

It is likely one of two things causing the Jacks Down alarm.

There is either a hydraulic leak causing the pressure to drop and it is triggering the Jacks Down alarm even though they are in the up position. This would be easy to determine because you’d see a puddle of hydraulic fluid under the coach somewhere.

The other possibility is the pressure sensor on the power control unit is not working properly. The pressure could be fine and the jacks properly stowed but if the sensor is reading the pressure to be too low, it will send a Jacks Down alarm.

I had this problem on my old coach. It was a 2018 Outlaw 29H. After troubleshooting I determined it was a bad pressure sensor. I ordered one on Amazon and it fixed the problem. It was under warranty but I ended up fixing it myself and sent the info to Thor and they reimbursed me for it.

I would bet the pressure sensor is your problem. If the pump runs long enough during trying to get the pressure where it is supposed to be, it can trip the 100amp breaker as an FYI. I had this happen as well until I repacks we the sensor.

I also just has had this error happen on my new coach as well ... a 2020 Magnitude SV34. I had a small leak at my power control unit that got worse. I was going to have the dealer take care of it during an upcoming appointment this week but it got so bad it caused the Jacks Down Alarm when driving. I ended up fixing it this weekend because the leak almost drained the tank. Turned out to be a damaged o-ring on one of the return hoses at the T-fitting. Picked up one at the auto parts store and after refilling and cycling the Jacks the error cleared and no more leak.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #3

THOR #13482
Thanks for the quick reply. I can not find any leaks at the jacks or the pump unit itself. So I will conclude that the sensor is the culprit. It looks easy enough to replace. I will look on amazon for it tonight.
Again thanks.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Just a note one of your jacks could have a internal leak that lets the pressure bypass the piston.

Friend had this problem on his fifth wheel cedar creek. Problem there is he had no alarm, only stopping he saw the jacks dropping while traveling.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #5

THOR #13482
None of my jacks are slowly lowering so I suspect that it is the pressure solenoid.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:29 AM   #6

THOR #13482
LCI leveler Pump runs when parking brake off

I contacted LCI and they told me to unplugging the High Pressure Switch and see what happens when the E-brake is released. I did so and the pump did not run and all was good. I have ordered a new High Pressure Switch. it looks easy to replace. I should be back in travel mode by the end of the week.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #7

THOR #13482
LCI pressure switch

I contacted LCI and they sent out a new pressure switch. I installed it and I still have the same issue when I release the Parking Brake. I spoke to a RV mechanic and he said the E-brake switch is good it if the brake light goes on and off, which it does. So that rules out the brake switch.
Does any know how to test the pressure switch to see if it is working? This is getting very frustrating. I don't really want to have to go to the dealer to get it fixed.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1a2guy View Post
I contacted LCI and they sent out a new pressure switch. I installed it and I still have the same issue when I release the Parking Brake. I spoke to a RV mechanic and he said the E-brake switch is good it if the brake light goes on and off, which it does. So that rules out the brake switch.
Does any know how to test the pressure switch to see if it is working? This is getting very frustrating. I don't really want to have to go to the dealer to get it fixed.
I assume you cycled the jacks a few times to purge the lines of air after installing the new Pressure Switch. It can take a few cycles to purge the air out before it build and holds pressure.

Take a look at these Troubleshooting Guides and they may help you pinpoint or at least narrow down your problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert_LevelerTroubleshootingGuide.pdf (611.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf LCI_Level_Up_TroubleshootingGuide.pdf (1.64 MB, 49 views)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #9

THOR #13482
leveler pump runs with E-brake off

Has any one heard that the e-brake switch could be my issue? It appears to to be working as the light lights when engaged and off when released. It is not an easy thing to get access to. Not like I have a drivers side door to open for access. I did look and took some pictures, there is a wire spliced in to one lead, but I can not trace it out as it goes into the wire harness.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:57 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Has any one heard that the e-brake switch could be my issue? It appears to to be working as the light lights when engaged and off when released. It is not an easy thing to get access to. Not like I have a drivers side door to open for access. I did look and took some pictures, there is a wire spliced in to one lead, but I can not trace it out as it goes into the wire harness.
I have not heard of the brake switch causing the Jacks Down Alarm. The way I believe it works is that when the parking brake is released, the ontroller is looking to make sure the pressure sensor is indicating the proper pressure (2150 PSI) for the jack to be retracted.

If the brake switch was not working properly, I would expect that the alarm would not go off when then brake is released and the pressure was below 2150 PSI.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:13 AM   #11

THOR #13482
Appreciate your feed back.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
On my 2014 ACE 29.2 when I release the E-brake, engine running, the levelers are fully retracted the LCI panel will light up showing the the jacks down and the pump will run for a few seconds, repeat, like it is trying to retract the jacks. If I reset the brake it stops. This makes it hard to travel. I have replaced the controller (whole different issue). I have cycled the jacks up and down 5 times with not bubbles or foam in the hydraulic fluid tank. No leaks anywhere. The fluid in the tank is about 1 inch from the top of the tank. I am at a lose and hope this forum can help as they have in the past for me.

David
The sensor is very "sensitive" and if a leg on your jack is just down a mm or two, it will give you a warning. Happens to mine. Jack looks like it's seated up and I'll get th edown warning. E brake, comes off....pump runs, done! Something to live with I suppose. The sensor might be off and is there as a safety measure so if you're running down the road and a strut drops, you'll know it before you tear it off. Lippert search will give you the over ride panel switches to hit if you get constant warnings.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #13

THOR #13482
LCI levelers lost fluid

I had the pressure tested by a local RV dealer and it showed 2500 PSI when the jacks where raised and went to zero as soon they were stowed. The service writer could not provide any more info as if it normal or it should still show 2500 PSI when stowed. I was not able to talk to the Tech. I will contact Lippert and see if this is normal and what my nest step is. The dealer said they would be contacting Lippert to see how to trouble shoot this. Allot of help they where.

David