Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Max RPMs

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows the "Red Line" maximum RPMs for the 2018 F53 V-10. I have had an issue a few times driving in the mountains. When using tow/haul mode and descending a steep grade the engine will, at times, rev to over 4000 RPM. If this happens 3 times the check engine light will come on. After starting and driving two more times the light goes out. Am I over-revving the engine on those grades? I start on the grades slow and try to keep my speed at a reasonable level. I just don't see how to keep it from going over 4000 RPM sometimes.

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The rev limiter is set at 5500 RPM. That engine can run at 4500-5500 in the mountains easily. The check engine light is set due to a parameter out of normal. You would need a code reader to find out what code is triggering the light.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #3

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The rev limiter is set at 5500 RPM. That engine can run at 4500-5500 in the mountains easily. The check engine light is set due to a parameter out of normal. You would need a code reader to find out what code is triggering the light.
Thanks for that info. I bought a code reader, but the light hasn't come on since I got it...of course.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I had this issue with my Miramar and bought a code reader. It simply said excessive RPM. I cleared the code to reset the light. I try now to drive in a manner to keep from revving so high and haven't had the problem now in 3 years.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The mechanic I use has worked in the "city garage" for years, and worked specifically on those Ford V-10 engines. They're legacy engines with something like a 20 year nearly bulletproof history.

The first trip with our V-10 I experienced the high revving - I thought I was going to blow the engine! He just laughed and said I was used to pedestrian car engines... that V-10 is a proven industrial work horse... it's designed to handle the load of hard use in municipal vehicles and such.

I might suggest practicing modifying your tow/haul method. I often use a blend of tow/haul and occasional light brake use. On very long steep grades, if engine speed picks up too much, I use the brakes to slow down, but never ride the brake. The whole idea is to use tow/haul as a tool to work with the brakes, but not eliminate their use. It's a give and take.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:36 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #28145
Does anyone know where to look for the ODB II connector to plug in the code reader?
I have a 2018 ACE 30.3 on an F53 chassis. It is currently in the shop to replace some minor trim bits than have shrunk over the last 4 years.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Does anyone know where to look for the ODB II connector to plug in the code reader?
I have a 2018 ACE 30.3 on an F53 chassis. It is currently in the shop to replace some minor trim bits than have shrunk over the last 4 years.
From memory... It was under dash just left of the steering wheel... I think.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #8

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
From memory... It was under dash just left of the steering wheel... I think.
Yes...it's under the steering wheel.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The mechanic I use has worked in the "city garage" for years, and worked specifically on those Ford V-10 engines. They're legacy engines with something like a 20 year nearly bulletproof history.

The first trip with our V-10 I experienced the high revving - I thought I was going to blow the engine! He just laughed and said I was used to pedestrian car engines... that V-10 is a proven industrial work horse... it's designed to handle the load of hard use in municipal vehicles and such.

I might suggest practicing modifying your tow/haul method. I often use a blend of tow/haul and occasional light brake use. On very long steep grades, if engine speed picks up too much, I use the brakes to slow down, but never ride the brake. The whole idea is to use tow/haul as a tool to work with the brakes, but not eliminate their use. It's a give and take.
Bullet proof other than spitting out spark plugs, especially the most difficult ones to reach & cam position sensors.
We had 1 ton 4x4 pickups at work with the V10s & those 2 mentioned mechanical issues happened to nearly all of them at some time or another.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:50 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
On my 2019 30.3 it is square under the steering wheel.

Should be able to read history codes even if the light is not lit. I would think till someone clears the code.

I freak out when I get to 4,500 RPM.

If it is limited to 5,500 RPM what happens going down a hill? It changes gear? Explodes?
Old 11-13-2022, 01:04 AM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Bullet proof other than spitting out spark plugs, especially the most difficult ones to reach & cam position sensors.
We had 1 ton 4x4 pickups at work with the V10s & those 2 mentioned mechanical issues happened to nearly all of them at some time or another.
You are talking ancient history. That was when the engine was new 20 years ago. Ford would have ditched it sooner than they did if it was as bad as you suggest. But the truth be told, it was not as prevalent as the Chevy active fuel management fiasco. Ford settled their class action against the plugs for 2 million but it cost Chevy more than 100 million to settle theirs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I tow a trailer with a smart car on it. Total weight is about 3000 lbs. if I’m entering an interstate type highway, that if fairly flat, I use tow mode to get up to speed, then put it back in normal. If I’m going up and down ( driving in WV) I’ll use tow more frequently due to the brake assistance. I never try to charge up Black Mountain on I40 at 65 mph. I find a comfortable rpm, get in the RH lane, and enjoy the scenery.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #25694
max rpm

install a 5 star tune it took all of that stuff out of my 2016 v10. made it a much better driver pulling a ford escape.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:17 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by push toy View Post
install a 5 star tune it took all of that stuff out of my 2016 v10. made it a much better driver pulling a ford escape.
Not until my drive train warranty is up.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #15

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

I have experienced the high revving when going down some hills in the mountains, I panicked and thru it into nuetral. I did not have it in tow/haul mode that I know of. How do you know if it is in tow/haul mode?
Old 11-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #16

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
I have experienced the high revving when going down some hills in the mountains, I panicked and thru it into nuetral. I did not have it in tow/haul mode that I know of. How do you know if it is in tow/haul mode?
A light on the dash shows Tow/Haul mode on.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #17

THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
A light on the dash shows Tow/Haul mode on.

So is it normal to have that revving in normal drive? K.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:15 PM   #18

THOR #11266
Quote:
So is it normal to have that revving in normal drive? K.
Yes. It will downshift and the RPMs will rev up high. The trick is to start out slow on the downhill to keep the revving to a minimum. I would not shift into neutral. You want to use the brakes and the engine to keep you slow on the downhill runs.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:46 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
About, throwing a motorhome into neutral coming down the hill, all I can say is wow! better start looking for the runaway truck lane
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:12 PM   #20

THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
About, throwing a motorhome into neutral coming down the hill, all I can say is wow! better start looking for the runaway truck lane
It was approx. 1 mile of windy downhill, back road. I was only going 25 miles an hour.