Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
My Hurricane34j just did the same thing. Hose came off. Factory never screwed the fitting tight. I will make a permanent fix also.

FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
I finished Stan's flexible pipe fix on my RV today & it solved my leaks perfectly.

Not sure why the factory chose the zip tie contraption over something as simple as this in the first place.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:37 AM   #23
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty.Deuce View Post
I finished Stan's flexible pipe fix on my RV today & it solved my leaks perfectly.

Not sure why the factory chose the zip tie contraption over something as simple as this in the first place.

I used the same flexible rubber fittings on the kitchen and shower tailpieces. Should take any road shock away.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:54 AM   #24

Model: Quantum KW29
State: Alabama
THOR #19175
Quote:

A zip tie is a few bucks less expensive than the cost of the rubber coupling. How do you measure the cost of lost confidence in a companies reputation or the frustration on the part of those purchasing the product. Confused indeed!
Old 01-01-2022, 03:06 AM   #25

Model: Quantum KW29
State: Alabama
THOR #19175
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:
Someone early into this thread said, “It will come apart again.” It did.🥲 There were two issues with this attempted repair. The pipe eventually would slip out of the slip joint nut and trying to utilize the piece of flex pipe that was already there with the wrong pipe ends on them. I’ve included pics of my parts list. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	35411Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	35412Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	35413Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	35414Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	35415

Four feet of new flex hose, two new slip joint nuts, two heavy duty flanged tail pieces, two tail piece washers, two hose clamps.

My reasoning for this approach, the flanged tail piece can’t be pulled out of the nut, heavy duty flanged tail piece for strength to hold the tightening of the hose claps, when using a flanged tail piece you must use the appropriate washer and not the common slip joint washer. Be careful when tightening the hose clamps, they must be tight enough to prevent leakage but I would think you could compress the pvc pipe if you over tighten the clamp.

Good luck in 2022, may all your rv systems stay heathy, may you and your significant other stay healthy and may your sewer hose never come loose while emptying the black tank. 🥴
Old 01-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #26
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:

My experience with those white tailpiece couplings are that if over tightened they tend to pop loose off their threads. That said, Unless you have one I cannot see downstream, I would highly suggest strapping the pipe against the wall (After) the coupling to keep any bending force off that (white) coupling.

I Would also get rid of that plastic strap. They are cheap and will break. I replaced all with metal ones after I found them broken.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #27
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
On a Tiffin bus we had for twelve years, the kitchen sink, stove with its propane lines and Microwave with its wiring were all on a large slide. Never had a problem with any of it in twelve years, so it can be done so it is less likely to cause problems.
I agree. RV's are like earthquakes on wheels. Any issues with plumbing more than likely are from road travel and not from the slide (gently) coming in and out.
If they are properly constructed, there should be no problems. The problem is they are not.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Won’t be helpful advice for the majority of folks reading this thread, but for people considering a new coach I strongly recommend extra consideration be given to floor plans without any plumbing in a slide. I learned my lesson the hard way.