Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;307460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Is there anything in that man
Yeah... Don't try it!
We don't even let our awning get wet. It gets retracted before it catches any moisture, and gets a chance to grow mildew.
x2, we will even bring the slide in if we know it is going to rain. And after a good rain and when sunshine returns; I may let it out just to be sure the edges don't have any moisture.

Now that I think about it, I have an umbrella too, and it has NEVER been wet If it is raining, I am not going outside; and if I have to, I am gonna take off and run til I get there, I don't have time to stroll across a wet street or sidewalk with a fancy smancy umbrella

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
In beautiful big sky country..guess where?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
[QUOTE=dkoldman;307465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

x2, we will even bring the slide in if we know it is going to rain. And after a good rain and when sunshine returns; I may let it out just to be sure the edges don't have any moisture.

Now that I think about it, I have an umbrella too, and it has NEVER been wet If it is raining, I am not going outside; and if I have to, I am gonna take off and run til I get there, I don't have time to stroll across a wet street or sidewalk with a fancy smancy umbrella
Did you brush your teeth before leaving the house this morning?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #24

THOR #13058
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;307478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Did you brush your teeth before leaving the house this morning?
and what, get my toothbrush wet? Don' be silly.

I actually have a Water Pik though
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-24-2022, 12:55 AM   #25

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
i came up with a fix to water dripping down the side of the RV. I installed a weather strip along the entire roof line, this forces the water fwd and aft. So, now only have to wipe with cleaner in two spots. The sides are clear of dripping and staining from the roof overflow.

I am looking for a good cleaner to keep the side rail mildew free..after a few months they always start turning dark black, needing a good scrubbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-09-23_20-53-20.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	39548   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-09-23_20-56-04.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	39549  

Old 09-24-2022, 01:01 AM   #26

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
i came up with a solution to water dripping down the side of the RV. I installed a weather strip along the entire roof line, this forces the water fwd and aft. So, now only have to wipe with cleaner in two spots. The sides are clear of dripping and staining from the roof overflow.

I am looking for a good cleaner to keep the side rail mildew free..after a few months they always start turning dark black, needing a good scrubbing.

How do you handle sideways rain
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 09-24-2022, 01:06 AM   #27

THOR #22342
i spray boat loads of Turtle Wax (wax and dry) with a microfiber cloth. I should take out stock in Turtle wax... and micro fiber....Keep a step ladder in the rear compartment, just enough to reach underneath the awning... if you keep up with it,,, it becomes a spray and wipe routine... comin up on 2 yrs... since new...

I am getting ready for the sideways rain coming up thru FL this week......
Old 09-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #28

THOR #22342
I was able to buy some exterior mildew remover, this seemed to work a little on the edge trim. I applied to the entire roof surface and got it back to the original white condition.

i am surprised how fast this mildew comes back. We had alot of rain here in SC during Aug. Is there a clear coat i can apply to the edge to essentially seal the edge trim? I applied a clear coat during the summer, but that has already deteriorated. Flex seal clear is not working at all. The picture above is when all the sealant dried and a fresh coat of flex seal was applied.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
I was able to buy some exterior mildew remover, this seemed to work a little on the edge trim. I applied to the entire roof surface and got it back to the original white condition.

i am surprised how fast this mildew comes back. We had alot of rain here in SC during Aug. Is there a clear coat i can apply to the edge to essentially seal the edge trim? I applied a clear coat during the summer, but that has already deteriorated. Flex seal clear is not working at all. The picture above is when all the sealant dried and a fresh coat of flex seal was applied.

Out of curiosity I have asked several times on what is Mfg recommended procedure for maintaining a membrane roof? There may not be solution short of frequent washing of the roof and/or some paint coat that may seal?

I have Fiberglass that I wax twice a year. I have never seen the black stuff or black streaks that folks complain about, but I have seen the streaks of water and whatever deposits that may been on the roof while dripping on the side. I do nothing with those streaks but was like normal and they go away. I have good coat of was on sides so it washes easily.

New observation (Fiberglass):
I am thinking to experiment by only waxing my roof once a year. About 5 weeks ago we nothing but rain for about 2 weeks straight. It was awesome But leaves / twigs had started to fall on my roof (early Fall). I never got around to do anything but I saw the stains on the roof and it looked bad. So I plan to clean it by washing to get the stains off on first cool weather day that never came. It has been hot. So I moved it where I could just rinse it off and simple brush. The RV was parked at a angle away from tree. I go up on the roof 2 weeks later the stains were gone!!! I did nothing So I assume the sun UV or whatever must have bleached the leaf stains away? Consequently, I have delayed my 2nd roof waxing for the year that I would have normally done by now.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:

Hi I use this on all edges and has worked consistently in minus 20 and 110 degrees.
Good luck my friend

Sashco 13010 10.5oz Sashco Sealants Clear Lexel Adhesive Caulk, 10.5-Ounce https://a.co/d/a7wsvrM

https://a.co/d/a7wsvrM