Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2022, 11:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Hampshire
THOR #7347
Roof Material Re-coating.

Roof Material. I was thinking of coating my 8 yr old (2014 Thor ACE 27.1) roof. I have not been able to identify, with any certainty, the roof material. Owners manual mentions both EDPM/TPO possibilities. Tried looking under roof fans as suggested by various videos but previous owner changed fans and apparently trimmed back material. Information about coating material suitable for both/ either materials is not convincing. Would appreciate hearing from the Forum.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
My 2016 is TPM.

TPM is slick as compared to EPDM which has some texture. TPM also seems to stay cleaner.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:10 AM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
My 2013 ACE 30.1 is fleece backed TPO but of course that does not mean Thor continued that version in 2014 or later. I have had no issues using Dicor lap roofing sealants over the years.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:42 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have been using dicor lap sealant since the early 90s. Never had a problem.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:21 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
I had the same question on my 2005 rig. Epdm is more like a rubber substance whereas tpo is solid and doesn't give when pressed with your finger. Hope that helps. DiCor makes coating products for both types.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Forget Dicor.... unless you love climbing on the roof every year to check it and add more Dicor.

Clean the roof and inspect the existing sealant. If there is significant cracking or pieces missing, clean it out and add Dicor this one last time.

Then use Eternabond Tape over all of the sealant overlapping the roof material. Cover every seam, joint and opening that was sealed. Follow the instruction for Eternabond and you will never need to worry about leaks or adding more Dicor or other sealant ever again.

I have put Eterbabond down as soon as I have gotten my coaches and never had a leak... and no more roof maintenance other than cleaning once a year. I also carry a roll of Eternabond for possible emergency repairs.... roof tears, skylight cracks, etc.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #7

THOR #7347
Tanks. This is the easiest method of determining the roof type I've heard. Will climb up and test it out. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
I think the OP was asking about a coating rather than a repair of a specific area. My experience is with EPDM and the thin white top layer was deteriorating with age. I made the decision to reseal all the visible defects with dicor and also eternabond then recoat the entire roof with an epdm product for rubber roofs. I think TPO might just require the repair and cleaning but really depends on the condition. I agree about eternabond tape and it will probably outlast the roof.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Forget Dicor.... unless you love climbing on the roof every year to check it and add more Dicor.

Clean the roof and inspect the existing sealant. If there is significant cracking or pieces missing, clean it out and add Dicor this one last time.

Then use Eternabond Tape over all of the sealant overlapping the roof material. Cover every seam, joint and opening that was sealed. Follow the instruction for Eternabond and you will never need to worry about leaks or adding more Dicor or other sealant ever again.

I have put Eterbabond down as soon as I have gotten my coaches and never had a leak... and no more roof maintenance other than cleaning once a year. I also carry a roll of Eternabond for possible emergency repairs.... roof tears, skylight cracks, etc.
I would add a big "AMEN" to using Eterna Bond tape on your roof. If I were to get a leak again, I'd cover the whole damn roof with this stuff. It's tough as nails and be sure it's where you want it when to lay it down cause it AIN'T coming back up. I had a leak and got the 4" roll and ran it along the left and right sides, around every vent, A/C opening and every seem or location there was that crappy Di-Cor. NO LEAKS ANYWHERE so far. That stuff is PURE GOLD!!!!! Bob Trice
Old 07-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #10

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

2 questions. Do you use the lap sealant? Do you put the tape over the sealant when it is still wet or wait until fully dry? Thank You in advance. K.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
2 questions. Do you use the lap sealant? Do you put the tape over the sealant when it is still wet or wait until fully dry? Thank You in advance. K.
The way I do it is:
Clean and inspect the roof/seams for cracks in the lap sealant.
Touch up the lap sealant as you normally would
Let the lap sealant dry completely (Takes several days, up to a week)
Apply the eternabond tape over the seam ensuring you are covering all the lap sealant and have good adhesion to the roof/cap material.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:48 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post

Sorry for the late reply but I do basically what Ace said. You want the Dicor to be dry.

I have done this when I buy a new coach so the Dicor / lap sealant is relatively new and in good shape.

I clean the roof and lap sealant and then apply the EternaBond over it but makign sure I overlap the roof and / or gelcoat / fiberglass.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #13

THOR #7347
Thumbs up Roof Questions answered.

Thanks to all who responded to my questions regarding roof type (TPO) and sealants. Did the seals and roof edges. Think I will go the etrnabond tape route next time. Also refreshed the Dicor sealant on all the fans, vents, TV antenna base and ladder rail. I have learned so much from this group. Greatly appreciate the knowledge and experience of the forum members. Regards, Allen & Purita.