Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Screws holding in electrical outlets stripped out

I purchased a used Axis 24.1 from CW back in August and have discovered that a couple of the electrical outlets will pull out from the wall when you pull out a plugged in cord. It appears the screws holding the outlets in have stripped out of the paneling for whatever reason. Have any of you experienced this? If so, how did you go about fixing it. Thanks!

Old 11-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Which outlets? Many of the outlets the screws don't screw into anything; instead they extend arms out the side to press against the inside of the wall (at least that is the way they are on our 2014 24.1). (There is a name for these but I forget now.)

We had one that would always pop out and I found that the screws/arms were not securing against the wall. A little fiddling with a screwdriver and all is good.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I had some that were screwed in and pulled out. I glued some wood behind the screw holes and refastened the outlets into this wood.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Ah found them here: http://www.hubbell-wirecon.com/liter...ure.pdf#page=4

Ours look like they are part WDRDU20BR

Or these in brown: http://www.dyersonline.com/diamond-s...eceptacle.html
Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

THOR #5647
Thanks, you guys are awesome. I'll check which it is when I go to the storage unit. It seemed like it was screwed into the paneling instead of the butterfly nut like the one Jamie sent. I thought that was kind of odd too. I guess it comes down to whatever parts they have at the factory or whoever is installing it. There are two, one by the left facing wall by the couch pop out (this is the one I looked behind). The other is on the right hand side by the passengers chair (I have not looked behind this one yet).

I talked to Thor service and they said something about gluing wood to screw it into as well which makes me think that they have seen this before.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler
I talked to Thor service and they said something about gluing wood to screw it into as well which makes me think that they have seen this before.
I do this whenever I'm replacing a screw in the camper: First dip it in wood glue. It keeps all the screws tight against the road rattling.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Had to do the wood and glue trick on shelving in our last camper; the wood shelving support was stapled to the paneling. Don't leave home with Elmer's or duct tape
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Also you can get "molly screws" at any hardware / building supply place.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Something else you will see if you keep digging around is that in many spots were they used a scrap wood backer they dont even bother to glue it, they staple it to the nearest cabinet frame. One leg of the staple in each piece. Talk about a drum going down a bumpy road, I have glued as many as I can find and it has decreased the low bass noise inside noticeably. Its still not quiet but the more of that bass note I can get out the lower my radio volume needs to be.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #10

THOR #5647
Another QC issue I guess

Well I was finally able to check out the electrical outlets that have come loose and found that they do indeed have the butterfly type plastic piece that Jamie told me about. Only problem is whoever installed them just decided not to use them and use super short screws in the paneling to hold them in. I know this because the plastic butterfly was never screwed out far enough to flip behind the back side of the wall. Go figure... I was able to easily install them the right way and now life is good. I guess we can chalk it up to another quality control issue during the assembly process. Thanks for all the help.