Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2022, 03:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: New York
THOR #25074
Slideout stuck :cry:

Our first camping trip, out 2nd night...

We have a 2016 Thor Vegas 25.3.

The slideout is about 1/2 way out and wedged at an angle. The problem started with it only going out a couple of inches with one side seeming to get "stuck", so we followed the manual suggestion of going "back and forth" to try to get the two slides to be in sync. The problem is now much worse. The angle is worse and the slide is now 1/2 way out instead on almost all of the way in.

Is this something I can fix myself? Is there anything to try that won't make it even worse? I'm afraid if I try much else the angle of the slideout will cause damage to the surrounding structure (if it hasn't already).

Since we're at a campground and they will be full tomorrow (when we're not supposed to be here), how terrible is it to move the RV a hundred yards or so (dirt road) with the slideout 1/2 way out to a spot where the campground will let us park it?

Thanks in advance for any help/information/suggestions!

Jeff

Old 04-16-2022, 03:31 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Evening Jeff and welcome to the forum.

If you don't already have it goto the LCI website and download the manual for the slide.

Then goto Youtube University and check out the Schwintek slide videos including the motor replacement videos so you know what you are working with.

It sounds like you have a weak motor on one site and now the slide is cocked to make it worse. Here is what I would do:

- get the slide straight: Have someone operate the slide switch and coordinate to push the closest side out as you move the switch to EXTEND and the farthest side in as you move the switch to RETRACT. Once straight, you may be able to continue this method to get it retracted again.

- You can try the Lippert procedure of unplugging the motor wires from the controller and pushing it in. Most are not successful with this due to the weight of the slide and the inverse mechanical advantage of turning the motors by pushing the slide.

- Luckily, your slide is part way in/out so with a Phillip's screwdriver and a ladder you should easily be able to remove the slide motors and then push the slide in. Once in you will need to either slide the motors back in if possible and reconnect the wires to the controller, or secure the slide with some 2x4s at the top between the slide ledge and the wall so it can't go back out while traveling.

If the slide is only out 12" to 16" you should be able to carefully drive to a "repair" spot a short distance away.

Good Luck!

EDIT:
Slide manual attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek-Slide-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf (2.65 MB, 109 views)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #3

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Agree with ACE. Review the op manual and videos.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #3584
We had this happened to us, first thing, make sure nothing is stuck under the slide, Dog toys, kids toys, electrical or plumbing interference . With us it was a plumbing issue with the sink hose interfering with the side not going out. Obviously I thought it was everything else until my wife actually looked under the slide with a flashlight from inside and spotted this issue. After this we synced the motors as mentioned above.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I was helping out a guy last week with a slide stuck open. A shoe got caught under the floor. It took a while before someone saw the toe of the shoe sticking out the side of the floor
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:39 PM   #6

THOR #25074
Thanks everyone. In an effort to get on the road (we're in Missouri now and trying to get to California in time for our grandson's birthday), I unplugged the two motors and we pushed in the slide. We won't use it again until we get to California.

Thanks again, we really appreciate the help!!

Jeff
Old 04-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #7

THOR #3584
Safe trip!
Old 04-16-2022, 09:58 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuga View Post
Thanks everyone. In an effort to get on the road (we're in Missouri now and trying to get to California in time for our grandson's birthday), I unplugged the two motors and we pushed in the slide. We won't use it again until we get to California.

Jeff

You might want to consider replacing your Schwintek Slide Mechanism with the Vroom Slide System once you assess the issue. If you need to have the Schwintek system repaired, I would not spend the money on the same system.

If you do a search, you will find a review that I did after having slide issues and having the Schwintek Slide Mechanism replaced with the Vroom System.

There are some other threads about it as well.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

Jeff
Glad you managed the work-around and got back on the road!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Jeff
Hopefully you plugged the motors back in. Unplugged they don’t serve as a brake to keep the slide from extending going around corners.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:52 AM   #11

THOR #25074
I did ��
Old 04-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Here is a great video about the Vroom Slide System going into a 5th Wheel that also shows how crappy the Schwintek motor is mounted and how much it can move around. Just one of the several problems with the design.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Here is a great video about the Vroom Slide System going into a 5th Wheel that also shows how crappy the Schwintek motor is mounted and how much it can move around. Just one of the several problems with the design.

Judge
A local shop here in So Cal is now an authorized installer of the Vroom system
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:10 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Judge
A local shop here in So Cal is now an authorized installer of the Vroom system

That’s good to know.

When I talked to Brian he was working on setting up someone in rhe northeast. He told me he was going to open a shop in Tucson in a different location on some other property he owned.

I’m a little surprised he now has someone that close to Tucson but everyone I’ve been talking to says he is backed up past July at this point. I guess his new system is taking off enough that he needs to expand even more.

I’m glad to see some good ole US ingenuity that solves a problem and does it right. I’m glad that I had my slide changed…. and supported a small US business in the process.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:00 PM   #15

THOR #25074
Final (I hope) report from California. We made it here in time for the birthday (tomorrow). I reset the controller and "retracted" the slide (it was theoretically all the way in from when we pushed it in). Then I tried extending it and it worked fine :-).
We leave here on the 28th and I don't expect any problems then....

Thanks again to all who offered help/advice!
Old 04-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #16

THOR #3584
Great news, safe and happy travels!!
Old 04-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
I deploy our slides very infrequently due to the number of problems inherent with them all.
I *never* deploy when boondocked at Walmart, Cabelas, Crackerbarrel, etc. since I could never be sure the slide would retract. The Vroom system is impressive! I will be looking into these.
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #18

Model: 2022 Chateau 31W
THOR #24543
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
We had this happened to us, first thing, make sure nothing is stuck under the slide, Dog toys, kids toys, electrical or plumbing interference . With us it was a plumbing issue with the sink hose interfering with the side not going out. Obviously I thought it was everything else until my wife actually looked under the slide with a flashlight from inside and spotted this issue. After this we synced the motors as mentioned above.
Something very similar just recently happened to us. Didn't affect our slide much, but did create a plumbing issue in the form of a running stream of water coming out from under the slide when the sink was engaged. We re-synced slide as a precaution. Slide actually severed the sink flexhose. Was recently able to repair it and move on, but checking those hidey holes where the slides are is always a good idea at the first sign of trouble.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I deploy our slides very infrequently due to the number of problems inherent with them all.
I *never* deploy when boondocked at Walmart, Cabelas, Crackerbarrel, etc. since I could never be sure the slide would retract. The Vroom system is impressive! I will be looking into these.
I would never own something I couldn't use. Maybe you should look at a coach with no slides.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I owned a Challenger with 3 Schwintek slides and with the exception of a loose wire during the shakedown we never had any issues.

We have had more problems with a non-Schwintek slide in our current rig and it took the dealer 8 months to repair this one due to their high level of incompetence.