Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
Tire Patch?

I had a slow leak in a rear tire on my 2017 ACE 27.2. The tire was leaking about 2psi every week. I finally took it to a tire dealer recommended by the local RV dealership (right next door). They handle big trucks in addition to RV's. (There was a large crane getting a tire replaced when I arrived). They immediately found a small screw in the tire. They went and patched the tire and the air has been holding. I currently have Goodyear 245/70R/19.5 G670 RV tires all around. Mileage on these tires is 13,500 and date of tire manufacture 1/2016. My question is would you trust a patch with normal highway driving? The dealer mentioned that I "should get all tires replaced prior to any big trips". Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Patches are better than plugs and as long as either was in the tread area I wouldn't think about it again.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Patch is ok under normal use. 5 year old tires, consider replacing before a long trip or get a spare
Old 01-27-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry... I'd rather play it safe: I'd replace the tire.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:31 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Patch is ok under normal use. 5 year old tires, consider replacing before a long trip or get a spare
I had been watching our 6 yr old tires and depending on our tpms
Pressure & temperature all ok when we started getting a bad and getting worse bumping noise.
Pulled over checked under mh and all 6 tires...nothing hmmm
On the interstate again, really noticable now, feel it a little, trucker passes us motioned at left rear.
Pulled over again, checked everything again... nothing
Off interstate again, found Rv/ truck tire store.
Looked again inner tire was comming apart, hanging by a thread.
carcass still holding air and cool to the touch.

Needless to say we now have a new item on our 5 yr budget, new RV tires.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A literal
5,000,000,000,000 tire patches done.
Failures? Almost unheard of.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:12 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Tire Patch?

I’d trust the patch if it was in the tread area. I’d put the repaired tire on the back and trust my TPMS. Then again, your tires are 5 years old and if they were mine I’d be thinking about replacing them before too long anyway. Lots of people trust their tires for longer so you might get a few hundred dollars of “trade in” credit. Or maybe ditch the repaired tire and one other and put two new tires on the steer axel and then maybe do two more each of the next two years always putting the newest on the front. Keep records and then do the same three year dance five years from now if you still have the coach. You might even keep that second tire for a spare. If you aren’t able to carry a spare just toss it in the basement at home. It might come in handy.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:22 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
It’s up to you. Ppl have lots of opinions but it’s your safety not theirs. That tire can be had online for ~$400. I got one last year as a spare in that exact tire.
When I took it to be mounted on my spare wheel the tire shop manager said, “nice tire, expensive too”. He’s right normally $650 I got a great deal and the date code was only 3 mos old.
When it comes to replacing tires they should be done in pairs if not all at once based on mileage or time. Putting 1 new tire in with 13K mile tires might be noticeable.
Do what you think is safe. A flat tire on a coach can be catastrophic for the cost of a tire or two.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When I get a flat or a nail in a tire, I always replace the steers and move the best of the rest to duals in the back. That is how I been doing it since I quit rotating the tires. Works for me.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
patch the tire on the inside in the tread area only and never ever think of it again!!!
Old 02-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sorry... I'd rather play it safe: I'd replace the tire.
What he said! A new tire(s) is much cheaper then a blow out and it's consequences, let alone the chance of getting in a serious accident.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A literal
5,000,000,000,000 tire patches done.
Failures? Almost unheard of.
We ran many Hi Way trucks fully loaded and had many flats over the years

Save on the RV's or pickup trucks

Every single one was patched and put right back on unless it was a front steer tire and then it depended on age. older ones went on the drivers or trailer depending on tread design and size
Old 02-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite FE22
State: Oregon
THOR #19474
In school I worked part time in a service station and patched more tires than I care to remember. There are many "patches." Plugs, patches on the inside, and great big "boots" on the inside. I have seen all types work, and all types fail. The main question is what the injury was. You don't patch the sidewall. You don't plug a large puncture. You don't patch a very large puncture, although a "boot" might be a reliable fix. And it depends on how lucky you feel. I have plugged tires on my own cars and never experienced a problem. However, on my motorcycles, a patch or plug was never anything but temporary.

In considering whether to replace the tire, its age, and the age and condition of the other tires that will be working with the new tire matter. You might get some funny handling if you add one new tire to a set of well worn tires.

Proper preparation and application of the plug, patch or boot is also very critical.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:21 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I patched more tire the I can count, many on slower moving but often overloaded logging trucks.. in the RV world if one does fail it can do more damage because of the enclosed area. This is why people buy tires every 5 or 6 years, even though they are good for 10 or more. I worked on tires that were 20+ years old on farm equipment and old trucks..