Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15798
Vegas 24.1 Dash AC Vacuum system location

HI. Apology if this question exists. I looked and cant find it so asking here as its an immediate issue for me. We have a 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1. The in dash AC has stopped blowing through the main vents. Only blows through the defrost vents. I understand this to be a 'vacuum' issue with either a tubing break, a failure of the non return valve or a broken reservoir canister. My question is: Where are these located on the Thor 24.1? Id rather have some pointers before I tear into things or decide to take it to an RV mechanic. Ive heard horror stories on conventional Ford trucks about having to remove the whole dash. In Phoenix - Its HOT ! - Thanks for any pointers or ideas on this issue.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:02 AM   #2

THOR #15798
SOLVED - Vegas 24.1 Dash AC Vacuum system location

So. After a little digging in various places about ford setups and an email to Thor I was able to solve the problem. If you have a similar issue I am posting the info here incase it helps. Here is the problem. You run the blower and get outside air on the dash vents no problem Turn on the AC and the air gets re-directed to the defrost vents by the windshield. The AC direction is controlled via a vacuum operated paddle. This is part of the assembly under the dash. A small yellow tube runs from this valve under the passenger footwell back to the engine compartment. In my case this tube had been severed. You can see in the pictures the ends of the hose. I cant speak to the reason the hose was broken, but after some contortionist moves and a half hour of time, problem solved. The drawing from Thor was helpful to figure out how they configured things. The RV shop I stopped at quoted me $1,200 just to look at the issue, with 'we will have to pull all the dash out to get to the blower assembly" was the quote. So. If you have a similar problem. Look under the passenger footwell and you can test the issue by manually operating the valve. Tube cost me $7.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7377.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	26588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7379.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	26589  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dash Layout copy.pdf (406.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 02:38 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Thanks.
I screen captured your post so I can put it in my rv 'dammit! ' file.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #19095
Terencgb1,
Thanks for the information, was the performance consistent with the air always blowing to the defrost ducts or was there times when the AC would blow correctly from the main dash vents?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #5

THOR #15798
Hi. Before, when I turned the AC on, the air would blow out of the dash vents. Then it stopped blowing out of the dash and only came out of the defrost. Normal 'Vent' setting or heat would blow out of the dash but not the AC. On investigation there is a vacuum driven flap in the blower box and when you turn on the AC it moves the flap to direct air to the dash vents. Without a vacuum it defaults to the defrost windshield vents. The break in the tube removed the vacuum. Hope that answers the question.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Thanks so much for that information and the photos If my MH was not in storage right now I would be outside looking for that yellow hose. I have the exact same problem and its been like that for 3 years. I know its a vacuum line just didn't know where to look. Thanks a million for the information.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Question

Just curious - did that tube break inside the cab (by the passenger footwell) or in the engine compartment? Were you able to do something to minimize the chances of it happening again?

Nice detective work, and thanks for taking the time to post your findings in such great detail !
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #8

THOR #15798
Easiest access is from behind the radio. There are some threads on how to remove that whole center console (four nuts to unscrew) or from underneath the passenger foot well. depends on where the tube is broken / disconnected. Let me know if you need more support.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #9

THOR #15798
The tube broke inside the cab. Not sure if its my wifes 4" heels that snagged it (she like to wedge her feet under the dash) or it just wore from rubbing on something but it was looped down in the corner where she puts her feet. I re-installed with corrugated electrical tube around the hose as well as securing it with cable clips. In pulling out all the dash etc to find it it seems Thor doent fasten anything down very well. :-)
Old 10-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by terencgb1 View Post
In pulling out all the dash etc to find it it seems Thor doent fasten anything down very well. :-)

^^^^Understatement of the year.^^^^

Inform SWMBO that she is limited to flip flops when in the copilot seat henceforth!
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash ac, vegas 24.1, vents