RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 24
THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Wow still don't have it ?
I never dreamed the Edge"s GVW is 5230 lbs !


We ordered it 3 weeks ago, they are working on it. She said they are cranking them out as fast as they can. Itís surprising what certain cars weigh. Iíve never paid real close attention to a vehicles weight until I now.
__________________

__________________
4Jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,172
THOR #1150
Yeah the Edge is a portly beast LOL

You know an Edge can be flat towed 2018 Edge Owner's manual (page 237, PDF).
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 24
THOR #10785
Whatís the curb weight of your Edge? You might be ok with a regular tow dolly, or if you can flat tow I would go with that option. Iíve heard the flat tow is an easy hookup compared to a tow dolly.
__________________
4Jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Maxjr758's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
Posts: 259
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
Whatís the curb weight of your Edge? You might be ok with a regular tow dolly, or if you can flat tow I would go with that option. Iíve heard the flat tow is an easy hookup compared to a tow dolly.
This 2015 model can't be flat towed. Checked with Ford Technical Services, it's also in the owners manual, for our 2015.
__________________
Max Shaver Jr.
2017 Thor Challenger 37 TB
Maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
Posts: 92
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomare View Post
The Chateau (F550 Diesel) doesn't seem to know it's there.
What year/model of Chateau do you have? We have a 2015 33SW and wondering about towing with a dolly.
__________________
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Maxjr758's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
Posts: 259
THOR #11321
Update:
I was confusing " Curb Weight" with GVWR, So I'm good with using standard Tow Dolly.
__________________
Max Shaver Jr.
2017 Thor Challenger 37 TB
Maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 24
THOR #10785
Click image for larger version

Name:	54750145233__04F5914C-EF03-46A0-B08B-4E5A3BEDA809.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	10153

Got the dolly last night, loaded up the Pacifica. Fit on the dolly just fine, drove it around the block and didnít even know it was back there. Towed it with my F150. Going to get the MH today and hook it all up.
__________________
4Jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 24
THOR #10785
We are about 2000 miles into our trip and so far the dolly has performed great. The only issue is long and steep down grades. I had an issue with the surge brakes overheating. Iíve worked out a system,I slow way down on the top of a hill then when the tow/haul engine brake engages I ride it for a bit then disengage it. When speed gets passed my comfort I use the brakes to slow back to my speed. Then re engage the tow/haul. That seems to keep the surge brakes from engaging too much, and picking up too much speed. Going up the Ford V10 does a pretty good job. We are at 25,500 and itís handled the trip well so far.
__________________
4Jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Maxjr758's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
Posts: 259
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
We are about 2000 miles into our trip and so far the dolly has performed great. The only issue is long and steep down grades. I had an issue with the surge brakes overheating. Iíve worked out a system,I slow way down on the top of a hill then when the tow/haul engine brake engages I ride it for a bit then disengage it. When speed gets passed my comfort I use the brakes to slow back to my speed. Then re engage the tow/haul. That seems to keep the surge brakes from engaging too much, and picking up too much speed. Going up the Ford V10 does a pretty good job. We are at 25,500 and itís handled the trip well so far.
Great to hear all is well with your trip, and the dolly !
I was able to find a Pre Owned, Acme EZ-TOW dolly a couple of Hours from me for a great price. Hooked it all up to the Motorhome today, centered the strap Ratchets, marked the location for the ramps. Ready to head out on a 4-5 hr. Trip soon.
Have a great trip, be safe ! Watch out for idiots ! Saw a car actually stop on a Interstate Highway to let another vehicle merge !
__________________
Max Shaver Jr.
2017 Thor Challenger 37 TB
Maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #30
Member
 
geno929's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
Posts: 62
THOR #8692
U-Haul Tow Dolly

So, I've been looking for a Tow Dolly. I thought I would try one out from U-Haul! U-Haul won't allow their Tow Dollies with an RV! WTH?
My RV could easily tow anything my SUV could! They allow my SUV, Ford Flex, to use a tow dolly, Why not my Thor 23U?
Any advice?
__________________
geno929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,172
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
So, I've been looking for a Tow Dolly. I thought I would try one out from U-Haul! U-Haul won't allow their Tow Dollies with an RV! WTH?
My RV could easily tow anything my SUV could! They allow my SUV, Ford Flex, to use a tow dolly, Why not my Thor 23U?
Any advice?
Yeah don't go to U-Haul.

I can see them not wanting to rent to RV'ers (even though RV'ers would probably take care of their dolly a lot better than people just using it to move). I'm guessing that RV'ers would put a lot more miles on the dolly..(Hey I'll rent this for the summer for my 14,000 mile trip across the US, to AK, to MX, etc.)

That is a good idea, however, wanting to rent a dolly to see how you like it before purchase.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 24
THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Great to hear all is well with your trip, and the dolly !
I was able to find a Pre Owned, Acme EZ-TOW dolly a couple of Hours from me for a great price. Hooked it all up to the Motorhome today, centered the strap Ratchets, marked the location for the ramps. Ready to head out on a 4-5 hr. Trip soon.
Have a great trip, be safe ! Watch out for idiots ! Saw a car actually stop on a Interstate Highway to let another vehicle merge !


Thatís great! Thank you, have a safe trip as well. Weíve have seen that, the idiots come out more so when the weather is nice. We were going down a steep grade on 90 towards Seattle and another MH swerved into our lane, lucky for us there was a decent shoulder to move over to.
__________________
4Jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #33
Member
 
geno929's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
Posts: 62
THOR #8692
Anyone know who might rent a tow dolly for RV use?
__________________
geno929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 24
THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
Anyone know who might rent a tow dolly for RV use?


Did you call some RV dealers? I think some of them may rent tow dollys. Or RV rental places, they might have them as well.
__________________
4Jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,334
THOR #6411
I just checked with the U-Haul web site and they still rent dollies for RVs. I have rented from them several times in the past before I bought my Master Tow dolly. I have picked a dolly from U-Haul with my VW Jetta which is not rated to tow anything but I do have a Curt class 3 receiver hitch on the rear.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×