Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Wow still don't have it ?
I never dreamed the Edge"s GVW is 5230 lbs !

We ordered it 3 weeks ago, they are working on it. She said they are cranking them out as fast as they can. It’s surprising what certain cars weigh. I’ve never paid real close attention to a vehicles weight until I now.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah the Edge is a portly beast LOL

You know an Edge can be flat towed 2018 Edge Owner's manual (page 237, PDF).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #23

THOR #10785
What’s the curb weight of your Edge? You might be ok with a regular tow dolly, or if you can flat tow I would go with that option. I’ve heard the flat tow is an easy hookup compared to a tow dolly.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #24

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
What’s the curb weight of your Edge? You might be ok with a regular tow dolly, or if you can flat tow I would go with that option. I’ve heard the flat tow is an easy hookup compared to a tow dolly.
This 2015 model can't be flat towed. Checked with Ford Technical Services, it's also in the owners manual, for our 2015.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #25

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomare View Post
The Chateau (F550 Diesel) doesn't seem to know it's there.
What year/model of Chateau do you have? We have a 2015 33SW and wondering about towing with a dolly.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #26

THOR #11321
Update:
I was confusing " Curb Weight" with GVWR, So I'm good with using standard Tow Dolly.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #27

THOR #10785
Click image for larger version

Name:	54750145233__04F5914C-EF03-46A0-B08B-4E5A3BEDA809.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	10153

Got the dolly last night, loaded up the Pacifica. Fit on the dolly just fine, drove it around the block and didn’t even know it was back there. Towed it with my F150. Going to get the MH today and hook it all up.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #28

THOR #10785
We are about 2000 miles into our trip and so far the dolly has performed great. The only issue is long and steep down grades. I had an issue with the surge brakes overheating. I’ve worked out a system,I slow way down on the top of a hill then when the tow/haul engine brake engages I ride it for a bit then disengage it. When speed gets passed my comfort I use the brakes to slow back to my speed. Then re engage the tow/haul. That seems to keep the surge brakes from engaging too much, and picking up too much speed. Going up the Ford V10 does a pretty good job. We are at 25,500 and it’s handled the trip well so far.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #29

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
We are about 2000 miles into our trip and so far the dolly has performed great. The only issue is long and steep down grades. I had an issue with the surge brakes overheating. I’ve worked out a system,I slow way down on the top of a hill then when the tow/haul engine brake engages I ride it for a bit then disengage it. When speed gets passed my comfort I use the brakes to slow back to my speed. Then re engage the tow/haul. That seems to keep the surge brakes from engaging too much, and picking up too much speed. Going up the Ford V10 does a pretty good job. We are at 25,500 and it’s handled the trip well so far.
Great to hear all is well with your trip, and the dolly !
I was able to find a Pre Owned, Acme EZ-TOW dolly a couple of Hours from me for a great price. Hooked it all up to the Motorhome today, centered the strap Ratchets, marked the location for the ramps. Ready to head out on a 4-5 hr. Trip soon.
Have a great trip, be safe ! Watch out for idiots ! Saw a car actually stop on a Interstate Highway to let another vehicle merge !
Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #30

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
U-Haul Tow Dolly

So, I've been looking for a Tow Dolly. I thought I would try one out from U-Haul! U-Haul won't allow their Tow Dollies with an RV! WTH?
My RV could easily tow anything my SUV could! They allow my SUV, Ford Flex, to use a tow dolly, Why not my Thor 23U?
Any advice?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
So, I've been looking for a Tow Dolly. I thought I would try one out from U-Haul! U-Haul won't allow their Tow Dollies with an RV! WTH?
My RV could easily tow anything my SUV could! They allow my SUV, Ford Flex, to use a tow dolly, Why not my Thor 23U?
Any advice?
Yeah don't go to U-Haul.

I can see them not wanting to rent to RV'ers (even though RV'ers would probably take care of their dolly a lot better than people just using it to move). I'm guessing that RV'ers would put a lot more miles on the dolly..(Hey I'll rent this for the summer for my 14,000 mile trip across the US, to AK, to MX, etc.)

That is a good idea, however, wanting to rent a dolly to see how you like it before purchase.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #32

THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Great to hear all is well with your trip, and the dolly !
I was able to find a Pre Owned, Acme EZ-TOW dolly a couple of Hours from me for a great price. Hooked it all up to the Motorhome today, centered the strap Ratchets, marked the location for the ramps. Ready to head out on a 4-5 hr. Trip soon.
Have a great trip, be safe ! Watch out for idiots ! Saw a car actually stop on a Interstate Highway to let another vehicle merge !

That’s great! Thank you, have a safe trip as well. We’ve have seen that, the idiots come out more so when the weather is nice. We were going down a steep grade on 90 towards Seattle and another MH swerved into our lane, lucky for us there was a decent shoulder to move over to.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #33

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Anyone know who might rent a tow dolly for RV use?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #34

THOR #10785
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
Anyone know who might rent a tow dolly for RV use?

Did you call some RV dealers? I think some of them may rent tow dollys. Or RV rental places, they might have them as well.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I just checked with the U-Haul web site and they still rent dollies for RVs. I have rented from them several times in the past before I bought my Master Tow dolly. I have picked a dolly from U-Haul with my VW Jetta which is not rated to tow anything but I do have a Curt class 3 receiver hitch on the rear.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote