Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Change of direction; now looking at Axis/Vegas 24.1

So, we are looking to buy our first MH in the fall of this year and have narrowed down the list significantly. Actually, the list narrowed itself down, as we realize we REALLY want the rear twin/king bed configuration. This leaves the 25V in class C, and the 24ST in the Sprinter chassis. We thought for sure that the 25V was the direction we were going, but we really were concerned with the lack of functionality of the cab seats, which left only the dinette for seating in the living space. The cab seats are basically used for driving and that's it. They serve very little purpose once parked. Then, we (re-)discovered the Axis/Vegas 24.1. This has basically the exact same floorplan, but the captains chairs are actually functional as part of the living space once parked. Additionally, the passenger seat has a small workstation area where we can place our computers while driving or while parked. There is a whole list of other things that we liked better about the 24.1 over the 25V, so we are very excited by this unit.

A couple of questions that we have for anyone who has (or had) one of these:

Is it uncomfortable driving in or towards the sun with this much glass? There's only so much a visor can do for that.

It has no oven, but it does have a convection microwave. Is the absence of a traditional oven something you have missed, or even noticed?

Are there airbags in the front passenger seat? (I'm assuming the driver has one?)

We would appreciate ANY help/opinions/advice etc. that you are willing to share with us. It's exciting and scary, all at the same time.

Thanks!

Tim

Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Is it uncomfortable driving in or towards the sun with this much glass?
ANSWER...No, the front shade can be extended half way down the front windshield. It's not what you think until you drive one into the sun

It has no oven, but it does have a convection microwave. Is the absence of a traditional oven something you have missed, or even noticed?
ANSWER...My wife complains from time to time. We carry a small 1200 watt toaster oven that is easily accessible. We place it on the counter, serves it's purpose. Also, we make toast and crisp items in a frying pan on the stove

Are there airbags in the front passenger seat? (I'm assuming the driver has one?)
ANSWER...No airbags in either seat. All "standard" Class A's do not have Airbags (to my knowledge). If you want airbags you need a class C or B.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Windshield: I haven't ever used the shade for that--just wear sunglasses. You'll find the reflections in the side windows in the dark more annoying than driving near sunrise/sunset.

Oven: Is this your first camper of any kind? If not have you ever used the oven? (For us the lack of an oven and the extra two drawers because of that was a much better trade off--yes we've used the convection oven maybe twice.)

If you haven't already download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas manual found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
After you've gone through that it won't seem nearly as scary.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
We traded our fairly new class C for a Vegas 24.1. After a year of travel and camping we realized the C just didn't give us the layout and flexibility we wanted. We love our Vegas. It's a great layout for traveling and camping.

No problems with the sun and I love the Wow factor driving across our beautiful country (or watching the neighbors while drinking my morning coffee).

I have used the desk as my office area while parked. I like keeping work and living separate. The area works well.

I've never used the oven in any of our RVs, so for us, it was nice to get the extra storage space.

You do give up air bags and an easy exit door at fuel stops but the trade offs are so worth it.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
We had to lower the front shade a few times, about a foot, to block the sun. It hasn't been a problem. The big windshield was was great when we went through the Badlands and the Arches.

I was happy to see no oven when we bought ours. We use a countertop convection oven, and the microwave, for everything. We never used the oven in our last motorhome.

Definitely downliad Ed's manual. It's a goldmine of information.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

THOR #15054
Thanks for the excellent and helpful replies! I will definitely check out that manual by Ed.

I should have been more clear about the airbags. I was really hoping that they DIDN'T have them, at least in the passenger seat, so this is good news!

Feel free to share any other thoughts about the 24.1 with me. This unit has been around for several years, so I'm thinking Thor should have most of the kinks worked out by now. (A guy can dream, right? )
Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The fun is in the shopping: isn't it?
Enjoy the process!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
You will love our Axis.

Something I noticed before we purchased ours was most all of the Axis floor plans had MORE outside storage when compared to a 23 - 26 foot class C's that we looked at.

So thats an added bonus.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #9

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The fun is in the shopping: isn't it?
Enjoy the process!
Yes, it is. The scary part is when you go from shopper to buyer!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #10

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You will love our Axis.

Something I noticed before we purchased ours was most all of the Axis floor plans had MORE outside storage when compared to a 23 - 26 foot class C's that we looked at.

So thats an added bonus.
Yes, we have noticed the storage. The only downside for us is, we have a couple of bikes that we were hoping to keep in the basement storage. The 25V could handle that, with just a front wheel removal (30 seconds to do that). The 24.1 can not, simply because the storage isn't tall enough. That's about the only tradeoff that I see the 24.1 coming out on the losing side against the 25V, so far. Not a deal-breaker. It just means I have to spend a little more money and time finding the best bike cover that exists for our needs.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Yeah, I purchased a real good Yakima bike rack that slides into the receiver hitch. But the bike cover blocks the tail lights while driving. I thought about adding some extra lights either higher up on the RV or on the back of the bike rack but been to busy with other projects.

I put a bike cover on (and some extra U locks) the bikes while stationary or any lenght of time.

Not sure if the bike cover would hold up very long with wind while driving.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 05-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #12

THOR #15054
Quote:
Yeah, I purchased a real good Yakima bike rack that slides into the receiver hitch. But the bike cover blocks the tail lights while driving. I thought about adding some extra lights either higher up on the RV or on the back of the bike rack but been to busy with other projects.

I put a bike cover on (and some extra U locks) the bikes while stationary or any lenght of time.

Not sure if the bike cover would hold up very long with wind while driving.
I've got a nice Thule 4-bike rack that is very secure. My LBS suggests a cover from Skinz that can cover all four bikes. I have used a cheap ($20) set of magnetic tail lights that plug into the 4 prong outlet on my Explorer to provide extra brake lights and turn signals. Probably have to do the same on the 24.1, by the sounds of it. I wish someone would make a hard shell product for bikes. If they have, they suck at marketing because I can't find it anywhere!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Yeah I was thinking of the magnetic lights for my Axis as well.

I think I came across a hard plastic cargo box that was large enough for two bikes. But it was expensive (like $800 - $1000??). Looked nice. I think it slide into the receiver hitch as well. But it might be worth it in the long run.

Do some searches on Amazon.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Yes, it is. The scary part is when you go from shopper to buyer!
I know what you mean...

Do your hands start shaking; when you're signing those checks?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #15

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I know what you mean...

Do your hands start shaking; when you're signing those checks?
What's a "check"? Oh, wait...I remember those!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #16

THOR #15054
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking of the magnetic lights for my Axis as well.

I think I came across a hard plastic cargo box that was large enough for two bikes. But it was expensive (like $800 - $1000??). Looked nice. I think it slide into the receiver hitch as well. But it might be worth it in the long run.

Do some searches on Amazon.
I have searched. And searched. I can find hard shell cargo boxes, but none for bikes.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You were the one looking at the 25V--told ya ! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
What's a "check"? Oh, wait...I remember those!
I don't use checks: this is how I buy!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1557330634
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	197
Size:	970.7 KB
ID:	17219  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #19