Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
Yes, photos of further insulating the doghouse would be helpful.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I really don't have any photos of it after I installed extra insulation. I basically just doubled up what was there:

Alignment: I don't think you would need it. The truck shop where I had mine done had asked that I return after a few hundred miles to make sure that it stayed put (he then mumbled about "Fords I-Beams" LOL). I returned about 100 miles later and nothing changed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #63

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I really don't have any photos of it after I installed extra insulation. I basically just doubled up what was there:

Alignment: I don't think you would need it. The truck shop where I had mine done had asked that I return after a few hundred miles to make sure that it stayed put (he then mumbled about "Fords I-Beams" LOL). I returned about 100 miles later and nothing changed.
Jamie,

What did you use to secure the installation to the dog house?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #64
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
Jamie,

What did you use to secure the installation to the dog house?
Keep in mind that the picture you see there is before I doubled up the insulation.

The insulation I used (which looks exactly like what is already there) comes adhesive backed. You simply peel off the backing and push it in place.
Amazon.com: FatMat Hood-Liner 34" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Automotive Sound Deadening Hood Liner - Aluminum Face: Automotive
Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #65

THOR #1478
Quote:
Keep in mind that the picture you see there is before I doubled up the insulation.

The insulation I used (which looks exactly like what is already there) comes adhesive backed. You simply peel off the backing and push it in place.
Amazon.com: FatMat Hood-Liner 34" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Automotive Sound Deadening Hood Liner - Aluminum Face: Automotive
Thanks Jamie, I wish I had consulted with you prior to purchasing a roll from Home Depot. The Self adhesive sounds much easier.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #66

THOR #1478
Quote:

I just order the self adhesive insulation, thanks again Jamie. Do you think by just insulating dog house will help quiet down some of the engine noise or will I need to insulate the entire engine bay such as you did?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #67
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I only doubled up the insulation on the dog house cover. After doing the dog house I had plenty left over and still am considering doing the rest of the engine bay. The problem is: removing the dog house can be a bit trying--especially the screws at the top.

Here is the engine bay right after I removed the dog house. You can see the existing insulation already in place.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #68

THOR #1478
Quote:
I only doubled up the insulation on the dog house cover. After doing the dog house I had plenty left over and still am considering doing the rest of the engine bay. The problem is: removing the dog house can be a bit trying--especially the screws at the top.

Here is the engine bay right after I removed the dog house. You can see the existing insulation already in place.
Crap, I was hoping removing the dog house was going to be the easy part. I am also going to double up on the insulation under the dog house.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #69

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
We put another 400 miles on our Axis this past weekend with a trip to Tuscaloosa for an air show with Blue Angels flying. Set up camp at a state park near there. Good trip with no problems whatsoever. Still loving the RV experience. Worse part was the overcast skies, wind and frigid temps. Oh yeah, and being over there around all those Bama fans and seeing all their paraphernalia amongst them and on them. (Sorry, Bama fans! ) War Eagle!!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #70
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I've been to a few air shows with the Blue Angels. When its overcast they switch to a "flat show" which isn't as exciting as one in clear blue skies--still fun though.

Glad you had fun.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #71

THOR #1123
Thanks Jamie. I'd seen the Thunderbirds before about 3 times but never saw the Blue Angels until now. Most say they put on a better show than the Thunderbirds but I didn't see much difference. Might have been because of the overcast.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #72

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
I've been to a few air shows with the Blue Angels. When its overcast they switch to a "flat show" which isn't as exciting as one in clear blue skies--still fun though.

Glad you had fun.
Interesting you say that.....

They call it their Low Show for what its worth, as opposed to their High Show

I'm a private pilot and HUGE aviation buff. Don't attend as many as I used to but used to attend lots of air shows....

Anyway, I have always prefered the low shows for some reason..... except it is nice to get that screaming vertical climb every once in a while!

Once, I saw the angles do their low show at the beach. It was a wet day, and they got really low just outside of the breakers.... the shockwave condensation was an awesome sight!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #73
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
We put another 400 miles on our Axis this past weekend with a trip to Tuscaloosa for an air show with Blue Angels flying. Set up camp at a state park near there. Good trip with no problems whatsoever. Still loving the RV experience. Worse part was the overcast skies, wind and frigid temps. Oh yeah, and being over there around all those Bama fans and seeing all their paraphernalia amongst them and on them. (Sorry, Bama fans! ) War Eagle!!
Just be a member of a house That DW is an Old Miss fan Daughter is LSU Sister in law Auburn other daughter Alabama Brother in law Tenn, brother Got his Doctorate at Florida and works at Miss State no wonder I support Northwestern
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #74
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Sorry to the OP for this
A pic of an F-16 from the last Air Show we went to (wow its been 5 years...have to go back to one!) He was doing a high speed flat circle turning within the bounds of the airfield.

(I'll typically just put the SLR in burst mode and follow the planes around. End up with 1000 or more pictures from an air show.)

ok back to the "is everyone happy" topic at hand....
Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #75

THOR #1123
Wow, fhenn!! Can't say I blame you there! I bet it gets real interesting during football season at your place. And I thought a house divided as mine is with DW being one of those Bama fans made things interesting.

Regarding the air show, not sure if they did the Low or High show as they performed several vertical climbs and rolls. Scared my nephew's 2 year old pretty good when the one snuck up on his from behind as he went screaming low overhead. All attention was on the ones who had just passed in front of us.
An F-22 Raptor pilot put on quite a show Prior to the Blue Angels.

They're (Blue Angels) supposed to be performing at Pensacola Beach on July 11th if anyone is interested.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #76

THOR #1123
Awesome picture, Jamie.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #77

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #1777
Hi Everyone. Super early in the process "new guy" here. After tons of reading on this and other forums and other manufacturers I've come to the conclusion that wishing for a well QC'd unit from the factory isn't going to do any good.

As has been pointed out many times by forum folks it's really the dealer experience that can make the difference.

The problem is - I can find lots of comments saying this or that particular dealer is awful, I'm having a terrible time finding comments / ratings for dealers that are positive - especially the all important PDI punch list items and warranty work after the sale.

This site would benefit from a Dealer Rating section. I apologize if there already is one - I didn't find it.

So.... would LOVE to hear from folks who had good experiences with dealers who picked up the slack for Thor's QC problems with good PDI punch list service and warranty service.

FYI - a Thor Axis 25.2 is what I've got my eye on.

Thanks in advance for help or comments.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #78
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Have you looked at RV Service Reviews?
RV Service Reviews

There is a similar and much better one for campgrounds:
RV Park Reviews
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #79

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #1777
Thank you JaimeGeek: I had been Googling for Dealer Reviews and not turning up much instead of searching for Service Reviews. That's a big help and I will check them out. I did already bump into the camp ground review site you recommended and found it very helpful. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #80
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Have you looked at RV Service Reviews?
RV Service Reviews

There is a similar and much better one for campgrounds:
RV Park Reviews
JamieGeek,

Thanks. I have used RV Park Reviews many times but had not encountered RV Service Reviews. I checked it out and entered a review for the mobile tech that serviced my slide in SC.

Looking at the reviews for service centers in my area I find that if I can get Thor to supply the parts I'll work on the rig myself. I do realize that the reviews need to be taken like the forums, with a grain of salt because someone may have an axe to grind or be entering a review for themselves.

Again, thanks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote