Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Florida
THOR #1485
Tank Sewer Hose Connection Problem

I just bought the 2015 Chateau 31w. Tried to hook up the sewer hose and there is not enough room between the front of the compartment to connect it. The tank drain is actually blocking the hole underneath. Impossible to get a hose through it much less make the turn to connect it. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Kind of hard to visualize it. Do you have any photos?

I was not aware that any of the Class C coaches had enclosed dump stations; mine is open to the ground underneath.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
You may want to take a close look at the sewer connections in the compartment because they may rotate.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

THOR #1485
Thanks for the reply- Pictures attached

I tried to rotate it but everything is solidly in place. I have attached pictures. There is only about 2 1/2 inches between the front of the compartment and the drain. The drain is too far forward to attach anything to. Guess I need to take it back to them and get this fixed. Gotta dump...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank dump 1.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Dump 2.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	178  

Name:	Tank Dump 3.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	179  
Old 01-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
That's incredible. Leave it to Thor to do something stupid like that...

makes me wonder if there are even any engineers working there.

The valves are such that you can rotate the discharge port every 90deg. Is it possible they should have installed the port vertically down but instead they installed it horizontally?

Maybe all you need to do is disassemble the valves from the port (remove the 4 bolts on each of the dump valves), rotate it down, then re-assemble. Better than waiting a month for the RV dealer to fix it.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feburns View Post
I tried to rotate it but everything is solidly in place. I have attached pictures. There is only about 2 1/2 inches between the front of the compartment and the drain. The drain is too far forward to attach anything to. Guess I need to take it back to them and get this fixed. Gotta dump...
Is it possible to attach one of those clear, 90 degree or so, attachments to your drain? Then you can attach your hose to the end of that. That's what I did on mine and makes it easier in knowing when the tank is empty.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
If your tanks are full and you have an emergency (e.g. you need to dump) perhaps you can just remove the entire panel from underneath the rig? It is likely that the dealer's fix will just be to move the hole instead of moving the plumbing.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

THOR #1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Is it possible to attach one of those clear, 90 degree or so, attachments to your drain? Then you can attach your hose to the end of that. That's what I did on mine and makes it easier in knowing when the tank is empty.
The only thing that I can attach to it right now is the sewer system that has a water hose, but the water hose can only point up- there is no room to turn it. I have one of those attachments but there is not room for it to go down through the hole and not enough space between the hole and the drain to get the collar up from underneath. Supposedly they put these in the compartment to keep them from freezing- this unit comes with both a black and gray tank heater, but this is not a big problem here in Sarasota. I don't have to dump right now- I can attach a regular dump hose but it immediately has to turn up and I have to leave the compartment door open. I thought about just cutting out the bottom of the cabinet but will see about just removing it. Good idea folks. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

THOR #1485
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
That's incredible. Leave it to Thor to do something stupid like that...

makes me wonder if there are even any engineers working there.

The valves are such that you can rotate the discharge port every 90deg. Is it possible they should have installed the port vertically down but instead they installed it horizontally?

Maybe all you need to do is disassemble the valves from the port (remove the 4 bolts on each of the dump valves), rotate it down, then re-assemble. Better than waiting a month for the RV dealer to fix it.
Great idea. I will disassemble it and see what I can do before I attack the bottom panel.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Hard to see in the photos since its all black.... but I'll bet the part you point to in the last picture will rotate to point straight down.

My outlet is basically tee'd in between the grey and black valves..... imagine a hinge rod passing through the centerline of the valves, right through the Tee fitting that forms the stinky slink connection. With the valves closed as a safety precaution....Grab ahold of that connection and push downward. Mine is stiff, but it does move. I'll guess that yours is the same. If you're pushing so hard you think you're going to break something, then either
1) I am wrong
2) or something is screwed together too tight or
3) it's just stiff from not being used
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #11

THOR #1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Hard to see in the photos since its all black.... but I'll bet the part you point to in the last picture will rotate to point straight down.

My outlet is basically tee'd in between the grey and black valves..... imagine a hinge rod passing through the centerline of the valves, right through the Tee fitting that forms the stinky slink connection. With the valves closed as a safety precaution....Grab ahold of that connection and push downward. Mine is stiff, but it does move. I'll guess that yours is the same. If you're pushing so hard you think you're going to break something, then either
1) I am wrong
2) or something is screwed together too tight or
3) it's just stiff from not being used
Alright. I am all in to being a strong man! Ill get a bit more aggressive and see if it will turn. Ill post the results of my dump saga tomorrow after I have time to apply what I have learned. Thanks so much to everyone!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
You can also buy larger versions of that round access port in the bottom of the compartment. The hatches are standard marine "deck plates" made by Beckson and others and you can get them in 4", 6", and 8" diameters.

Perhaps you can simply install a larger diameter deck plate?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #13

THOR #1485
Problem Solved

Thanks to all. I just needed your encouragement to twist it hard enough to turn it. It was very tight. I was afraid I was on the edge of breaking it but then it twisted into a better position. Still not over the hole but at least it is now functional. Thanks to all for your help. Saved me a trip to repair shop where they would have twisted it and probably charged me. Blessings to all. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dump Solved.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	180  
Old 01-28-2015, 01:08 AM   #14

Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
I had the same problem and had to rotate it to make it work properly
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #15

THOR #908
hey thats great news!
I'm glad it worked out

You said it's still not over the hole..... looks good in the picture, maybe a little off center but workable form the looks of it.

I have yet to have these gate valves apart, so I'm not exactly sure what the seal situation is in the swiveling connection...... so I don't make a habit of swiveling mine much.... and when I do I take it slow and easy.

I will say though for your piece of mind that mine has been moved several times ove the 8 months I've owned her, and I have no sign of a leak or issue so far.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #16

THOR #1485
Thanks

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
Same for me... it was tight the first time I rotated it.... but seems like the right tension now... I've used it at least 10 times...
Old 01-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
I wonder how similar the Chateau 31W is to the Four Winds 31W?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #19

THOR #908
the same except colors, stickers, etc.....
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 AM   #20

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
My Hurricane was the same as yours - THOR?! I could not adjust it as it is permanently glued in that position - off center to the hole as well. I managed to get a cheap flexible sewer hose attached on it which is flexible enough to pull thru the hole but will be attached permanently - so much for cleaning it. THOR SUCKS BTW!!!!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote