Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
My opinion....REGULATION...REGULATION...REGULATION.
Somewhat like the auto industry; although a lot of that is also driven by simple competition.

I would bet that if one RV manufacturer started a real quality program and then started advertising it (even with simple ads like: "pick it up and go camping--there will be nothing wrong with our coaches. Try this with others!") the others would follow suit once everyone runs to those units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB
My wife thinks I have a serious mental problem because I have to visit the stored RV about 3 times a week. Sometimes I fool with it sometimes I just look around (she might be right).
In our house I go "hug the camper" once (or twice, or more) a week.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandT View Post
I bought my Thor used and am quite happy with it although since it is 11 years old I have had nickel and dime repairs.

I am surprised to see nearly new campers with issues. We are looking to go to a class "A" and my natural question to a Thor owners is when the rubber meets the road would you buy another one or are you upset that you bought this one?

Thanks for opinions and please don't "bash" the brand. I am just looking for facts without emotions associated with one dealer or one bad incident.
You obviously are not a "newbie" to the RV world. But I will go ahead with my usual advise about buying new as compared to buying a gently used unit. I don't think Thor is any different than any other manufacturer. In their price point they are probably about average on quality control. Just like any RV maker their factory warranty works for some and others consider it a joke I am sure. I purchased my Challenger with the Thor warranty expired, time left on the Ford warranty, and 3,200 miles on the dash.

So far I have only contacted Thor 3 times. The first time to confirm the schedule for a factory tour, the second time to request built drawings/documents, and the third time for a more detailed blow up drawing of my convenience center plumbing. Each time I contacted Thor they were extremely helpful and I felt like they "had my back".

I only have put about 4,000 miles on our Challenger. I am still tweaking some different things and adding others. I am happy with the quality so far.

Would I purchase a new Thor motorhome? No, I wouldn't purchase any brand of RV new.

Would I purchase another used Thor motorhome? Absolutely I would.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
If I had to do it over again...I would definitely buy used.

Honestly, I think the best place to purchase an RV would be from a fellow tinkerer.

Why wouldn't you buy from a fellow tinkerer who "hugs" his RV every few days.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:48 AM   #24

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I think women have a different perspective on RVs than men. They tend to go along for the ride, somewhat oblivious to possible impending disasters. The guys worry about breakdowns and how to get them fixed.

We bought our first motor home in the mid 90s, and except for a couple of years with a pull-behind toy hauler and a year or so without an RV, we've had them ever since. The Thor Windsport is our fourth motorhome. None were trouble free for one minute during the time we owned them, including a three year old 38 foot diesel pusher (Holiday Rambler Endeavor). In the twenty years of RV ownership, I have had to deal with many problems, and other than a flat tire and no spare we've never been stranded.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 AM   #25

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
My wife wants to know if there is a counselling group for me to join
Lmao, my wife asked me the same thing! Guess I shouldn't repeat my response on a public forum!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #26

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:

Methinks this forum is the counseling group, and you already joined it! Some of us have found it to also be an addiction! (Personally, two years and 500+ posts later!)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:50 AM   #27

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
Quote:
Yes...here is a link to the counseling group's website....

Thor Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Old 01-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #28

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
my answer is MAYBE
I certainly wouldn't break my neck to buy only Thor. No brand loyalty from me. They didn't earn it.

We bought a new unit, so I'd say my statistical sample of one is at least the full experience.... I got to see the complete picture of how poor the QC was, and how poor the manufacturing and design is in some areas, dealt with warranty claims, dealt with dealers, a couple of really huge issues (leak/rot), and a long passel of little annoying things...
As it is now, i have spent way more money and time than a person ever should have to on a NEW unit....

That being said, i would look at their products again. Sadly, I'm not so sure that they are any worse than others.... and we like RVing, so there we have it.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
I saw a perfect example of Thor's lack of pride in assembly when I lifted the cushion and looked under the dinette seat and saw the massive jumble of 12-volt and 120-volt wires and cables. No effort was made to run them neatly. The floor was littered with sawdust and other construction debris. Any building inspector would deny approval of that mess.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #30

THOR #908
I can't even count the places I have found just the kind of mess you describe.
You put it very well I think, they showed a lack of pride in their work.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #31

THOR #908
waiting to get a haircut at lunch, noticed another guy waiting wearing a "Big RV Dealer" T-Shirt. Turns out to be a tech there. I asked him which company made the best RV form his perspective.... Winnebago without even a thought.
I happen to know this dealership sell nearly all brands.

I didn't get a chance for follow-up questions regarding why he said it....
Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I saw a perfect example of Thor's lack of pride in assembly when I lifted the cushion and looked under the dinette seat and saw the massive jumble of 12-volt and 120-volt wires and cables. No effort was made to run them neatly. The floor was littered with sawdust and other construction debris. Any building inspector would deny approval of that mess.
A building inspector for homes yes. An RV follows the national code which, believe it or not, allows electrical outlets and switches behind walls to be installed unsecured and just flapping in the breeze.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Guess what guys--------Thor's lack of QC isn't just reserved for their MH division. It's company wide.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #34

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
waiting to get a haircut at lunch, noticed another guy waiting wearing a "Big RV Dealer" T-Shirt. Turns out to be a tech there. I asked him which company made the best RV form his perspective.... Winnebago without even a thought.
I happen to know this dealership sell nearly all brands.

I didn't get a chance for follow-up questions regarding why he said it....
Ok I'll jump in here. Winnebago inarguably makes a good product. Their fit and finish is a cut above Thor's, at least that is my observation. Also their price point is a cut above Thor's which is to be expected. We looked long and hard Winnebago's offerings, and frankly what led us to Thor was the floorplan & in the size we were looking things like ducted AC. We have friends that had a Winnebago, they loved it & decided to trade up to a bigger Winnebago. They had so many major and minor problems with the new one, after one year they gave up, got rid of it and took their losses. No guarantee no matter what brand or price point you buy at. My suggestion is buy what works best for you, which is what we did, and we already have upgraded a lot of the Gemini, and will continue to.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #35

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5913
Yes, I have been surprised at some rat's nests of wires with no labeling whatsoever. Frustrating to troubleshoot! My mechanic didn't think it was unique to any brand. He said he was amazed at what he has found behind the walls! He wasn't speaking of Thor specifically.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #36

THOR #2025
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...html#post55662
Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #37

Brand: DRV
Model: 34 RESA
State: Ohio
THOR #6014
Le Petit Chalet

Yes the wife and I purchased a new Vegas 25.2 in April 2016, now Thor has come out with a Vegas 25.5 that we both like. We had a few minor things that needed adjusted and did not get satisfaction from the dealer but called Thor and we took it to the factory for warranty work all was fixed and they even found a few more minor things and took care of them Thor is good for service, some dealers maybe not. The bang for the buck is very good with the Vegas.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #38

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McCoy View Post
Yes the wife and I purchased a new Vegas 25.2 in April 2016, now Thor has come out with a Vegas 25.5 that we both like. We had a few minor things that needed adjusted and did not get satisfaction from the dealer but called Thor and we took it to the factory for warranty work all was fixed and they even found a few more minor things and took care of them Thor is good for service, some dealers maybe not. The bang for the buck is very good with the Vegas.

You nailed it!

I think it's all about the dealer and the service.

We need a rating system for dealers and dealer service to help folks make purchasing decisions.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
We need a rating system for dealers and dealer service to help folks make purchasing decisions.
You mean like this: RV Service Reviews
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #40

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You mean like this: RV Service Reviews
OMG that's great I never saw this before. Added the link to my phone so when playing road warrior I can get info on who to avoid when the Mutants come calling and I need a safe port!