Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
All that white stuff was the packing material the car came in...

Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
2106 Hurricane 32A towing a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander soft top...
Roadmaster All Terrain Tow Bar, Base Plates and Invisibrake
Jeep OEM Wiring Harness to connect RV lights and run Jeep taillights.

About 4000 miles towing so far.

We left the 'packing material' back with Jamie as we escaped south with Wrangler in tow.

Jamie/Happily Retired,
Like the electic as a flat tow... Nice to know ford has one you can... I knew the focus electric couldn't be... nor the chevy volt... (and no - my 'gmc' name has nothing to do with GM )
Anything special needed to tow them?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
2106 Hurricane 32A towing a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander soft top...
Roadmaster All Terrain Tow Bar, Base Plates and Invisibrake
Jeep OEM Wiring Harness to connect RV lights and run Jeep taillights.

About 4000 miles towing so far.

We left the 'packing material' back with Jamie as we escaped south with Wrangler in tow.

Jamie/Happily Retired,
Like the electic as a flat tow... Nice to know ford has one you can... I knew the focus electric couldn't be... nor the chevy volt... (and no - my 'gmc' name has nothing to do with GM )
Anything special needed to tow them?
For 2016 you can flat tow the Cmax and Fusion electrics as well as the both models in the Hybrid version. I noticed you can also flat tow the AWD Taurus if someone wants an AWD sedan to flat tow.

I might have to start looking for new tires for my Fusion or Flex.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 AM   #24

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I wouldn't want a daily driver unless it was AWD.

Bruce in NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
....if someone wants an AWD sedan to flat tow.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I wouldn't want a daily driver unless it was AWD.

Bruce in NOLA
Yep. You need them for the beach.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:29 AM   #26

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Hey,

You might get caught in a snow storm in Colorado on one of your adventures!

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Yep. You need them for the beach.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Hey,

You might get caught in a snow storm in Colorado on one of your adventures!

Bruce
I only leave Florida in the summer.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:17 AM   #28

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Wranglers and Cherokees can be flat towed with automatic transmissions. Some of the other Jeeps can not be flat towed. The key is being able to put the transfer case in Neutral.

We row a Jeep Liberty automatic. Transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park. That keeps the transmission from spinning. But everyone should check the owners manual.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #29

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Jamie/Happily Retired,
Anything special needed to tow them?[/QUOTE]

The C-Max is great because it will run on electricity or gas. It's an easy tow. Put it in neutral and go. However, you do need a charge line from the motorhome, or your battery will most likely be dead on arrival!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired
However, you do need a charge line from the motorhome, or your battery will most likely be dead on arrival!
To be specific: He is talking about the 12V battery here--not the high-voltage hybrid battery.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
One thing about our Jeep is that we cannot tow it on a dolly. All four must be on the ground or all four must be off the ground (trailer).
Old 01-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #32
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
One thing about our Jeep is that we cannot tow it on a dolly. All four must be on the ground or all four must be off the ground (trailer).
As I would expect on any true 4WD vehicle.. Transfer cases are designed to allow for different speeds between front/rear - but not one axle doing 60mph and the other 0...

The owners manual always wins whether something can be flat towed - but typically 'true 4WD' with transfer case that can be shifted to neutral can usually be towed '4 down' or '4 up' (trailer/flatbed) regardless of transmission type (as it disconnects the transmission from the wheels) - but not on a dolly or typical tow truck raising only 2 wheels.

Other drive conventions vary (AWD, FWD, RWD - and standard/auto transmissions...) In many cases it is an auto transmission issue with lubrication that doesn't happen with only the wheels spinning.
(2WD Jeeps fall in this boat too - and depends on trans type whether they can be flat towed).
Old 01-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #33

State: Alberta
THOR #3214
2014 Winsport

2014 Windsport 32N flat towing a 2008 Ford Edge AWD.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 AM   #34

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
OK - anyone heard of being able to tow a 2012 Toyota Prius - on a tow dolly! I've heard you can't because raising the front wheels off the ground "makes the front sensors go wacky" - and that's a quote from a Toyota tech guy! Yet another dealership tech guy with 25 yrs experience said he didn't know anything about the sensors going wacky, but would be concerned that when you raise the front wheels off the ground that lowers the back of the car - thus scraping it in a driveway etc.
I have towed the car once - before the first comment, 35 miles, but no issues. Afraid to try again until I get some more answers..........anyone?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Pappydude:
Watch the video on the Acme Tow Dolly's web site and check out what kind of car they demonstrate it with (Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly).

We used to have a Focus Electric which the owner's manual explicitly states not to tow the car with any wheels on the ground. I did a short test tow with it (about 5 miles) to see why. Mechanically there really was no reason I couldn't tow the car around (its FWD, the rear axle is identical to a gas engine'd Focus, it fit on the dolly fine). The only issue I really could find was that the software really didn't like the fact that the rear wheels were spinning when the front weren't. When I started it after towing I got all kinds of faults with the traction control, ABS, etc. Took a few power cycles to clear them all and it would start behaving normally again...never pulled it again. (Now we have the C-Max which can be towed.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 AM   #36

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Wow - thanks for the link. I thought that was my car for a moment. Same color! I have a Roadmaster (don't recall the model) - I'll check their website to see if they offer a similar video......thanks for the info!!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #37

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Got our towing package installed today. Hyundai Alantra GT. Have to admit, it's a bit nerve wracking at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707b.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1333  
Old 01-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
It is very difficult to make a blanket statement as to what vehicle is flat towable or not.

Thing is, most vehicles - especially those with automatic transmissions, change from year to year as to their flat tow capability; and even then, some engine/transmission combinations may or may not be flat towable for a particular model year.

For example; the current model Cherokee, it is available with 3 different automatic transmissions; 2WD, 4WD, and 4WD dual range. Of the three transmissions, only the 4WD dual range transmission can be flat towed (it has a transfer-case neutral switch). The dual range is standard on the Trailhawk, and a $1,000 option on the others (caveat; that was as of 2014 when we looked at Cherokees for a toad. Things may have changed since then).

You need to do some research before deciding to tow a vehicle. Most manufacturers have a "Recreational Towing" section in their owner's manuals that tells you whether the vehicle is flat towable behind a motorhome, what engine/transmissions may or may not be towed, restrictions (speed or distance), as well as any setup required (procedure to place the transmission in neutral, removing fuses, etc).

The point I am trying to make is a particular model year or transmission/engine combination may or may not be flat towable for any given vehicle model. It changes all the time. One of the most popular toad models; the Honda CR-V with either manual or automatic transmission was flat towable from the beginning of time... until the 2015 model year when Honda started putting CVTs in them. They are no longer flat towable.

As of now, only a very few late model vehicles are flat towable, especially those with automatic transmissions; and I suspect this list is going to be less and less as manufacturers strive to meet future CAFE fuel economy standards. They are looking to shave every ounce of excessive weight from the vehicles to meet new mileage standards, and thus are removing components (e.g. transfer case neutrals) that make them flat towable.

As well, some have found certain models, although the owner's manuals state they are not flat towable, have found they tow OK. Websites such as www.remcoindustries.com do have an index that details those vehicles.

However, you may be at some risk if the owner's manual states a vehicle is not flat towable and you use the advice from remco and damage your vehicle; especially if the vehicle is still under warranty. Said warranty might be void if you flat tow against the owner's manual instructions.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #39

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295

Name:	Old RV towing.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1335

Here is a pic of the old Sunseeker pulling 2012 Ford fiesta 5 speed standard with roadmaster system with rock guard. Ordered a white car and placed decals to match RV - looked good till purchased the new one (pictured below). Oh well, can always paint the car I guess! nah!!

Name:	New RV towing.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1336

Also installed the stop lights myself - used auto wire I already had and simply purchased the front plug and diodes from eBay! Saved about $50.00 doing it myself.

Name:	Car Toad lights connector.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1337
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #40

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey