Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2022, 08:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Husky does fine for me at 75 psi. Never will need 120 psi.

Husky also performed great in Project Farm review.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:19 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I carried this Porter Cable under the bed of my 29m. Only 20 lbs, 150 psi. It works great

PORTER-CABLE Air Compressor Kit, 1.5 Gallon, Oil-Free, Fully Shrouded, Hand Carry, 25-Feet Hose (CMB15) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CVXGR0...1TNG4Q4AP40KMG

Jerry
This is exactly what I was looking for and I almost ordered until I learned it was 20.5" tall That is the same height as my existing one air compressor

The Porter Cable is a lot quieter and only 20 lbs vs 30 lbs on my existing one.

Below is what I carry today if I go on a long trip.

My motivation is to ..

#1 Get something smaller
#2 Get something lighter
#3 Quieter 70deb or less
#4 Something reliable at least 120 psi

I may just have to keep what I have... see picture
It is excellent compressor and I have had maybe 6 years, it fills those tires in seconds. In fact I always have to let air back out to get it at 82.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220105_084945.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	35502  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:26 PM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I have the 40v cordless, Viar, and a pancake PC

The Porter Cable pancake gets used if airing all tires for seasonal change or trip prep

Viar for Towed or topping a tire

RYOBI if i am in a hurry

The down side of the battery compressor is recharging or carrying 2 batteries

Carry the PC for trips over 2 months or so

If you're airing tires to 110 psig or higher 150 psig rated is better
When I grow, that is what I will get
Having everything is kind of kool

See what I have in #22, I am just wanting to keep it in garage and have something for RV fill time. I have no spare, do not want 12v nor do I want the lithium stuff. I want a real compressor to move around for other stuff if necessary.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Also have this and excellent used many times to blow out under ground sprinkler on big property
thats what we have as well
easy enough to carry around and fits nice in the basement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement (8).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	35506  
Old 01-05-2022, 11:34 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I have a portable 120v Porter Cable pancake type 150 psi.. Food for thought, if you need 120psi minimum, look for a compressor rated at 150. Due to the duty cycle, MOST if not all 120 psi models won't fill a 120psi tire. You may only get a usable 100 out of them. I got a Viair 90 I carry in the toad that has to be connected directly to the battery but it will top off my tires eventually.

According to Goodyear's Tire Specifications for my G670 19.5 modern day tires, 82 psi is the maximum air pressure I can have and NOT exceed the GVWR of my RV. Oh by the way, by coincidence the 82 psi limit on both axles is on my yellow sticker too. I have 150 psi compressor today and I always run the risk of running overinflated. I keep a small screwdriver: so I can release air to get down to a safer and more comfortable ride

Viair is great, but I am not buying any 12vdc or Lithium compressor right now. I want one that plugs to 110 vac which I have plenty of and very easy to get to. Nothing I own is ever charged when I need it if I am suppose to remember to put it back on the charger. Besides why keep the charger in an outlet 24/7 when I can simply plug in my compressor when I need it?
Old 01-05-2022, 11:37 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Another thing to watch for is the method used to connect the hose, adapters and chucks (inflator nozzles). I have a bag of assorted tools/adapters/chucks I have collected over the years - they are all compatible with "standard" 1/4" "industrial" NPT fittings size - AND they all fit my "standard" Bostitch 1/4" pancake compressor.

Last summer I bought what I THOUGHT might be a good compromise between portability, function and price. While the "function and price" categories were fulfilled using my pancake compressor, that thing is HUGE and heavy... you already know the downside.

The HF was similar to this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-15...sor-63184.html

Considering it's 1/5 the price of a ViAir, I was skeptical - but whatever... I could buy 4 of them and throw them away as they bit the dust, and STILL be cheaper than a single ViAir!

I got the HF compressor home and had high hopes. I got all set up to try it out. First problem was the inability to swap out "industrial" sized chucks from my bag of goodies. Anyone with duallies knows the gymnastics involved to reach those valve stems. Without going down a rabbit hole on air compressor fittings and sizes, I quickly figured out that NOTHING in my bag of goodies would fit this thing.

Any compressor I buy MUST be compatible with my existing air chucks. Many of the myriad of portable compressors make it difficult to see if they use standard fitting sizes for attaching a typical 1/4" air hose like used on my Bostitch pancake compressor.

So back to HF it went. In the meantime, I occasionally "look and dream" about finding a better, more portable - REASONABLY priced - solution. I refuse to pay a $150 to $200 "convenience fee" for a ViAir equivalent to my Bostitch. I paid something far south of $200 for my Bostitch "kit" which included 2 nail guns and a staple gun! That same kit is around $200 today - STILL much cheaper than an equivalent ViAir.

There's a gazillion ViAir knock-offs from China - all basically the same compressor with different labels/branding. Those guys in those factories over there are pretty crafty with reverse engineering - still waiting on one of them to focus on the RV market. Meanwhile if the EQUIVALENT RV ViAir price came down to a REASONABLE $150...
See what I got in #22, still looking for one to keep in RV full time. Viair and Lithiums are not a consideration for me. Must be 110vac, small, 120 psi min, and quiet
Old 01-05-2022, 11:42 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Entire family uses this for MH bikes etc.
Set psi and let it go!
No plug in.
Charges quickly.
Small
Powerful

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Inflator Kit W/ 4.0Ah Battery & Charger
No, this a toy as far as I am concerned, the only Milwaukee I will by is Old Milwaukee and even that is only when I am in Wisconsin getting ready to buy cheese.

Quote:
Also have this and excellent used many times to blow out under ground sprinkler on big property
This is a grown man's tool, I have the 6 gallon version see #22. I love it. It is what I use today. Mine is about 6 years old, looking for similar capability , but lighter, quieter and smaller footprint.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:47 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Husky does fine for me at 75 psi. Never will need 120 psi.

Thanks

I only need 82 psi but see #22 to see what I have today. I have no knock on 12vac or lithium as they may be great for certain application like my cars. But this thread is about finding a very 110 vac model, that is small, quiet, and works with 120 psi or more. I made need to air to work with air hoses and other air equipment.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:50 PM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
thats what we have as well
easy enough to carry around and fits nice in the basement
What model number is that, I would like to know the height, weight and decibel rating? I love my Bostitch but it is 21" tall, 30 lbs and very loud (79 decibels)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Thanks

I only need 82 psi but see #22 to see what I have today. I have no knock on 12vac or lithium as they may be great for certain application like my cars. But this thread is about finding a very 110 vac model, that is small, quiet, and works with 120 psi or more. I made need to air to work with air hoses and other air equipment.

I didn't recommend a 12v model, the husky I linked is 120 vac, same as in your home.

There is no tank, therefore no 120 psi really.

A 120 psi compressor really operates at 80 psi, they cannot sustain 120 psi.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:53 AM   #31

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
What sportcoupe showed in #22 is very similar to what I have. It's not quiet, but i rarely use it so that doesn't matter. It will generate some heat, so I let it cool off before I stow it. For my use, a tank is of no value. If it was to be used daily, I would buy the Viair. This one doesn't require much storage space.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:14 AM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I didn't recommend a 12v model, the husky I linked is 120 vac, same as in your home.

There is no tank, therefore no 120 psi really.

A 120 psi compressor really operates at 80 psi, they cannot sustain 120 psi.
Thanks, I was referring to the video in your post #21 that showed the 12v models.

I did see in your #19 post the 12vdc / 120vac combo Husky unit in Home Depot today. That unit is something that I may by for vehicle because it goes both way with AC/DC, but I am looking for something larger that I can use with the air hose and air equipment I already have for the RV, i.e. I will use to blow out when winterizing as well. So if it make sense, I posted thread to find the smallest big boy air compressor possible that was quiet and smaller footprint than my 6 gallon bostitch. I am pretty sure it means a 1 gallon tank.

When at Home depot this Husky stood out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-...=aw.ds#overlay

Right now from what I have read 3 units standout.

Fortress 1 gal Harbor Freight
Husky 1 gal Home Depot
Stealth 1 gal Amazon

They are all less than 28 pounds, less than 62 decibels and small footprint; plus they all work with all of my existing air tools.

I am really surprised that no one has come forward owning any one of these
Old 01-06-2022, 01:15 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
What sportcoupe showed in #22 is very similar to what I have. It's not quiet, but i rarely use it so that doesn't matter. It will generate some heat, so I let it cool off before I stow it. For my use, a tank is of no value. If it was to be used daily, I would buy the Viair. This one doesn't require much storage space.
Thanks see my post #32
Old 01-06-2022, 01:51 AM   #34

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Thanks, I was referring to the video in your post #21 that showed the 12v models.

I did see in your #19 post the 12vdc / 120vac combo Husky unit in Home Depot today. That unit is something that I may by for vehicle because it goes both way with AC/DC, but I am looking for something larger that I can use with the air hose and air equipment I already have for the RV, i.e. I will use to blow out when winterizing as well. So if it make sense, I posted thread to find the smallest big boy air compressor possible that was quiet and smaller footprint than my 6 gallon bostitch. I am pretty sure it means a 1 gallon tank.

When at Home depot this Husky stood out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-...=aw.ds#overlay

Right now from what I have read 3 units standout.

Fortress 1 gal Harbor Freight
Husky 1 gal Home Depot
Stealth 1 gal Amazon

They are all less than 28 pounds, less than 62 decibels and small footprint; plus they all work with all of my existing air tools.

I am really surprised that no one has come forward owning any one of these
Here's a plan... go buy one of those on your list; I'll buy another. We'll compare notes. Worked for the wax!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:29 AM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Here's a plan... go buy one of those on your list; I'll buy another. We'll compare notes. Worked for the wax!
I have added a 4th option Makita it is the more expensive of the 4 at $169

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC100..._t1_B07N1ZVPLP
Old 01-06-2022, 06:52 AM   #36

THOR #16721
I looked at the specs for the HF 1-gallon. Not sure if the CFM rating is good enough for general purpose... may be good enough for tires.

I think we're on the same channel... looking for an "equivalent" of the Bostitch. I want to keep the Bostitch at home as a permanent tool, and get an equally capable replacement to live in the MH.

I agree with your requirements:
AC operation
Light weight
Quiet
Small footprint
Same capabilities as existing heavy LOUD compressor

After watching Harbor Freight's own review video, I think the 1-gal falls short. They don't seem to recommend it for anything but car tires ?? I think the big "tell" is the 2-gallon model is three times the CFM of the 1-gallon.

However, the next one up is the 2-gallon. There's a YouTube review on it where a guy compares it to a red Porter Cable 6 gallon (screamer). It's heavier than the 1-gallon, but nearly as quiet. It's amazing how much quieter than the pancake compressors!

https://youtu.be/EKA5LjRpM9g

Likes = GREEN
Dislikes = RED

1-gallon weight = 26.5 lb.
2-gallon weight = 37.3 lb.

1-gallon dB = 57 dBA
2-gallon dB = 60 dBA

1-gallon CFM = 0.7 SCFM @ 90 PSI
2-gallon CFM = 2.2 CFM (2.1 SCFM) @ 90 PSI

1-gallon price = $159.99
2-gallon price = $189.99

I just might swing by HF and pick up the one gallon model in a few weeks. Heck, if it doesn't fit the bill - I'll take it back and exchange it for the 2-gallon.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:59 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
I looked at the specs for the HF 1-gallon. Not sure if the CFM rating is good enough for general purpose... may be good enough for tires.

I think we're on the same channel... looking for an "equivalent" of the Bostitch. I want to keep the Bostitch at home as a permanent tool, and get an equally capable replacement to live in the MH.

I agree with your requirements:
AC operation
Light weight
Quiet
Small footprint
Same capabilities as existing heavy LOUD compressor

After watching Harbor Freight's own review video, I think the 1-gal falls short. They don't seem to recommend it for anything but car tires ?? I think the big "tell" is the 2-gallon model is three times the CFM of the 1-gallon.

However, the next one up is the 2-gallon. There's a YouTube review on it where a guy compares it to a red Porter Cable 6 gallon (screamer). It's heavier than the 1-gallon, but nearly as quiet. It's amazing how much quieter than the pancake compressors!

https://youtu.be/EKA5LjRpM9g

Likes = GREEN
Dislikes = RED

1-gallon weight = 26.5 lb.
2-gallon weight = 37.3 lb.

1-gallon dB = 57 dBA
2-gallon dB = 60 dBA

1-gallon CFM = 0.7 SCFM @ 90 PSI
2-gallon CFM = 2.2 CFM (2.1 SCFM) @ 90 PSI

1-gallon price = $159.99
2-gallon price = $189.99

I just might swing by HF and pick up the one gallon model in a few weeks. Heck, if it doesn't fit the bill - I'll take it back and exchange it for the 2-gallon.

Not sure but check to see if HF has a restocking fee? I went by to look at the Fortress 1 gal today, but it was strapped down; so I could not get a feel for it.

There is another component I am looking at, that is shape. The Makita has small footprint, flat caged top; so I could store something on top with less risk of damage. Some of the units are widely exposed.

My uses will be
#1 Tires 82 psi is what I fill too; I am never lower than about 77 psi; so I think 120 / 135 psi compressor should be fine for that
#2 Blow outs for winterize - The 1 gal may be challenged here, thus far I have always winterized at home so the Bostitch could still be used, then again, I am never in a rush when winterizing. This also would give me the benefit to winterize suddenly on the road.
#3 Blow out gun to clean the RV compartments and lots of other places with ease.
#4 If I needed air in the house for minor tool
#5 For emergencies

I think if I were buying to day, the below is my order ( all 1 gal)

1. Makita
2. Stealth
3. Husky
4. Fortress

Note that 2 gal unit is heavier than my existing 6 gal unit by 8 lbs. I am really worried about going overweight. Maybe if quit being stubborn and drain the freshwater tank to 1.3 full I can get a new 2 gallon quiet compressor
Old 01-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #38

THOR #16721
Quote:
Not sure but check to see if HF has a restocking fee? I went by to look at the Fortress 1 gal today, but it was strapped down; so I could not get a feel for it.

There is another component I am looking at, that is shape. The Makita has small footprint, flat caged top; so I could store something on top with less risk of damage. Some of the units are widely exposed.

My uses will be
#1 Tires 82 psi is what I fill too; I am never lower than about 77 psi; so I think 120 / 135 psi compressor should be fine for that
#2 Blow outs for winterize - The 1 gal may be challenged here, thus far I have always winterized at home so the Bostitch could still be used, then again, I am never in a rush when winterizing. This also would give me the benefit to winterize suddenly on the road.
#3 Blow out gun to clean the RV compartments and lots of other places with ease.
#4 If I needed air in the house for minor tool
#5 For emergencies

I think if I were buying to day, the below is my order ( all 1 gal)

1. Makita
2. Stealth
3. Husky
4. Fortress

Note that 2 gal unit is heavier than my existing 6 gal unit by 8 lbs. I am really worried about going overweight. Maybe if quit being stubborn and drain the freshwater tank to 1.3 full I can get a new 2 gallon quiet compressor
Just drain off one gallon and you're there!

My Bostitch is a pancake style... a little "fatter" than yours I think - but same 6 gallon tank volume, performance specs and overall weight.

I'm not a physical science pressure expert, but I'm thinking with only 1 gallon of reserve, and only .7 CFM you may be challenged using the smaller one for tasks like blowing out the water lines, or using an air nozzle to blow dust/dirt away (like a dirty filter, etc.). It just depends on how long it takes that 1 gallon of higher pressure air to deplete. If it can't replenish fast enough to keep up, you're stuck at a pretty low fizzle of air.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #39

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Will the Ryobi 18 v take 4 35/12.50/17 tires from 25 psi to 32psi OK?
Before the battery is gone?
Old 01-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #40

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Will the Ryobi 18 v take 4 35/12.50/17 tires from 25 psi to 32psi OK?
Before the battery is gone?
Mine will easily