RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
Posts: 205
THOR #20289
Picking up my new Axis 24.1 next week

The dealer called and our new Axis 24.1 has arrived. They need 2-3 days to shake it out before I show up for the PDI, so it will probably be next week.

I am an anal engineer and have read Ed Fekler's excellent owner's manual and checklist. But the Axis has changed a bit since then so does anyone have anything specific I should look for in the PDI for this new model.

I know there is no longer an outside TV which I won't miss and the galley layout is different with the microwave/convection oven underneath the stove.

I will come armed with a good clamp on ammeter and a multimeter to check out the electrics and make sure the BMI, ATS, etc are all working ok.

David
__________________

__________________
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,794
THOR #8860
. You must be feeling like a kid just before Christmas!
If you bring along a copilot: have them video the PDI for you.
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:15 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,177
THOR #1150
I don't think they are that much different from the manual.

Even so sounds like you have a handle on things.

The most important thing: have fun
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 2,867
THOR #13932
Rvchecklist
Is the best Android app for pdi.
287 items plus you add your own.

Run everything until you feel silly, then do just as many cycles more.

Is an
Anal engineer
Like an
Aeronautical proctologist?
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetion
State: Nevada
Posts: 12
THOR #19899
congrats, very exciting
__________________
jkfirecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,038
THOR #6826
PDI testing is all well and good but better still would be to see if they’ll let you stay in it overnight in the parking lot. Then you can REALLY check it out. Enjoy!!
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Elite Washington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 461
THOR #6433
Congrats on the new purchase
__________________
2017 Freedom Elite 30fe 2013 Wrangler Unlimited toad.
Elite Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
Posts: 54
THOR #2791
During your road test look for any loose steering feeling at highway speeds. If so, it could mean too little positive caster and require a special alignment to get the caster over +5 degrees. Loose steering at highway speeds is where there is a steering dead "do nothing" zone between left and right.
__________________
Harvard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
Posts: 205
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
During your road test look for any loose steering feeling at highway speeds. If so, it could mean too little positive caster and require a special alignment to get the caster over +5 degrees. Loose steering at highway speeds is where there is a steering dead "do nothing" zone between left and right.
Yes, I understand that Thor does not do a final alignment after building the coach. I will check the steering and if it doesn't have a positive return to center feel, I will take it to a truck shop for an alignment and get it to +5 degrees or more.

David
__________________
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 81
THOR #17456
Some suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The dealer called and our new Axis 24.1 has arrived. They need 2-3 days to shake it out before I show up for the PDI, so it will probably be next week.

I am an anal engineer and have read Ed Fekler's excellent owner's manual and checklist. But the Axis has changed a bit since then so does anyone have anything specific I should look for in the PDI for this new model.

I know there is no longer an outside TV which I won't miss and the galley layout is different with the microwave/convection oven underneath the stove.

I will come armed with a good clamp on ammeter and a multimeter to check out the electrics and make sure the BMI, ATS, etc are all working ok.

David
I purchased a leftover 2019 in October, 2019. In my own experience, the few defects I found were cosmetic. The factory wall covering was laminated to the wall over some coarse grit in one spot. The linoleum had an orange stain under the driver's seat. Finally, I would suggest inspecting it closely for nicks and scratches. Also open up all of the normally closed areas and have them clean up the sawdust, leftover screws, etc.
As others have mentioned, the USB outlet in the bedroom was not connected. The wires were all there-just not connected.
I suggest checking all of the cabinet doors for alignment as well as loose hinges. The anchors used in the hinges are woefully inadequate. Ditto for the toilet paper holder.
Check the stainless steel sinks for any tiny rust spots. I removed them with Barkeeper's Friend and it has been fine since.
My highest early priorities would be to replace the steering dampener or install a steering stabilizer. Add sound proofing to the engine cowling, floor, and front basement compartments. I replaced the jacknife sofa with recliners-it is very uncomfortable. I added a TPMS system.
The Axis/Vegas is a great RV for the money. You will be happy. Just don't expect perfection and plan on spending a few thousand dollars on various mod's.
It's great you are an engineer. I found it easier to just repair things myself rather to rely on a dealer with long lead times for repair!
__________________
twovillagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,794
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Yes, I understand that Thor does not do a final alignment after building the coach. I will check the steering and if it doesn't have a positive return to center feel, I will take it to a truck shop for an alignment and get it to +5 degrees or more.David
After the final test drive and PDI: you could try getting the dealership to throw the alignment in as part of the deal...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 2,867
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I purchased a leftover 2019 in October, 2019. In my own experience, the few defects I found were cosmetic. The factory wall covering was laminated to the wall over some coarse grit in one spot. The linoleum had an orange stain under the driver's seat. Finally, I would suggest inspecting it closely for nicks and scratches. Also open up all of the normally closed areas and have them clean up the sawdust, leftover screws, etc.
As others have mentioned, the USB outlet in the bedroom was not connected. The wires were all there-just not connected.
I suggest checking all of the cabinet doors for alignment as well as loose hinges. The anchors used in the hinges are woefully inadequate. Ditto for the toilet paper holder.
Check the stainless steel sinks for any tiny rust spots. I removed them with Barkeeper's Friend and it has been fine since.
My highest early priorities would be to replace the steering dampener or install a steering stabilizer. Add sound proofing to the engine cowling, floor, and front basement compartments. I replaced the jacknife sofa with recliners-it is very uncomfortable. I added a TPMS system.
The Axis/Vegas is a great RV for the money. You will be happy. Just don't expect perfection and plan on spending a few thousand dollars on various mod's.
It's great you are an engineer. I found it easier to just repair things myself rather to rely on a dealer with long lead times for repair!
The 24.1 made me learn many new things and adapt HUNDREDS of known things to rv particulars.

I wholly understand folks like me and you.
Those totally blind and totally refusing to learn or apply some slightly modified current knowledge...I don't understand.

There's a poster on a forum who says they've been a carpenter for 20 years(I changed his(maybe)occupation to protect) but is waiting two months for the dealer to adjust a piece of interior trim.
He'll NEVER be happy with that rv. He can't be. His participation is too low in this rv, high participation, life.

My polaris sportsman made me mad with no start due to cold, so yesterday I added remote battery terminals for an easy jump at zero degrees f.
No one told me how, I had seen the terminals and even had a set awaiting rv install, but I hadn't seen them on a quad. I just did it. Now I don't have to unload the front rack, remove the rack, mess with the tiny connections, then put it back together again.
Secondarily, I can now jump start other vehicles easily with the quad and even easily start a fire if necessity dictates.
(The remote terminals were bought for the 24.1 due to their battery placement and me not wanting to Jack with such a thing in the rain and cold and discontent if i needed jumped. Thinking people think, and I have thought to move the battery instead. Projects change midstream...I know you can jump the chassis through the house battery. I'm all about redundancy as a rule, so an alternative jump point is needed.)

I think if people didn't consider their rolling press-board house as a rolls royce purchase, did a bit for themselves instead of insisting warranty do it, we'd have 75% less
I hate Thor
Posts.

Make yourself happy.
The quoted poster does.
I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0114211529.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	28060  
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
Posts: 205
THOR #20289
I have always done 100% of my own work on the boats, RVs, and up until some years ago the cars that I have owned. Everything I read above I would do myself if it happens to me. My hope is to never return to the dealer for anything, although Albany RV does sound like a decent place.

David
__________________
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 2,867
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have always done 100% of my own work on the boats, RVs, and up until some years ago the cars that I have owned. Everything I read above I would do myself if it happens to me. My hope is to never return to the dealer for anything, although Albany RV does sound like a decent place.

David
The best path, most clearly stated.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #15
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
Posts: 53
THOR #8849
We love our Axis 24.1
Go over the check list posted on this forum.
Congratulations!
__________________

__________________
RickAuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×