Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Picking up my new Axis 24.1 next week

The dealer called and our new Axis 24.1 has arrived. They need 2-3 days to shake it out before I show up for the PDI, so it will probably be next week.

I am an anal engineer and have read Ed Fekler's excellent owner's manual and checklist. But the Axis has changed a bit since then so does anyone have anything specific I should look for in the PDI for this new model.

I know there is no longer an outside TV which I won't miss and the galley layout is different with the microwave/convection oven underneath the stove.

I will come armed with a good clamp on ammeter and a multimeter to check out the electrics and make sure the BMI, ATS, etc are all working ok.

David

Old 01-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
. You must be feeling like a kid just before Christmas!
If you bring along a copilot: have them video the PDI for you.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:15 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I don't think they are that much different from the manual.

Even so sounds like you have a handle on things.

The most important thing: have fun
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Rvchecklist
Is the best Android app for pdi.
287 items plus you add your own.

Run everything until you feel silly, then do just as many cycles more.

Is an
Anal engineer
Like an
Aeronautical proctologist?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #5

Model: Venetion
State: Nevada
THOR #19899
congrats, very exciting
Old 01-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
PDI testing is all well and good but better still would be to see if they’ll let you stay in it overnight in the parking lot. Then you can REALLY check it out. Enjoy!!
Old 01-13-2021, 03:15 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Congrats on the new purchase
Old 01-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #8

State: Alberta
THOR #2791
During your road test look for any loose steering feeling at highway speeds. If so, it could mean too little positive caster and require a special alignment to get the caster over +5 degrees. Loose steering at highway speeds is where there is a steering dead "do nothing" zone between left and right.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #9

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
During your road test look for any loose steering feeling at highway speeds. If so, it could mean too little positive caster and require a special alignment to get the caster over +5 degrees. Loose steering at highway speeds is where there is a steering dead "do nothing" zone between left and right.
Yes, I understand that Thor does not do a final alignment after building the coach. I will check the steering and if it doesn't have a positive return to center feel, I will take it to a truck shop for an alignment and get it to +5 degrees or more.

David
Old 01-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #10

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Some suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The dealer called and our new Axis 24.1 has arrived. They need 2-3 days to shake it out before I show up for the PDI, so it will probably be next week.

I am an anal engineer and have read Ed Fekler's excellent owner's manual and checklist. But the Axis has changed a bit since then so does anyone have anything specific I should look for in the PDI for this new model.

I know there is no longer an outside TV which I won't miss and the galley layout is different with the microwave/convection oven underneath the stove.

I will come armed with a good clamp on ammeter and a multimeter to check out the electrics and make sure the BMI, ATS, etc are all working ok.

David
I purchased a leftover 2019 in October, 2019. In my own experience, the few defects I found were cosmetic. The factory wall covering was laminated to the wall over some coarse grit in one spot. The linoleum had an orange stain under the driver's seat. Finally, I would suggest inspecting it closely for nicks and scratches. Also open up all of the normally closed areas and have them clean up the sawdust, leftover screws, etc.
As others have mentioned, the USB outlet in the bedroom was not connected. The wires were all there-just not connected.
I suggest checking all of the cabinet doors for alignment as well as loose hinges. The anchors used in the hinges are woefully inadequate. Ditto for the toilet paper holder.
Check the stainless steel sinks for any tiny rust spots. I removed them with Barkeeper's Friend and it has been fine since.
My highest early priorities would be to replace the steering dampener or install a steering stabilizer. Add sound proofing to the engine cowling, floor, and front basement compartments. I replaced the jacknife sofa with recliners-it is very uncomfortable. I added a TPMS system.
The Axis/Vegas is a great RV for the money. You will be happy. Just don't expect perfection and plan on spending a few thousand dollars on various mod's.
It's great you are an engineer. I found it easier to just repair things myself rather to rely on a dealer with long lead times for repair!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Yes, I understand that Thor does not do a final alignment after building the coach. I will check the steering and if it doesn't have a positive return to center feel, I will take it to a truck shop for an alignment and get it to +5 degrees or more.David
After the final test drive and PDI: you could try getting the dealership to throw the alignment in as part of the deal...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I purchased a leftover 2019 in October, 2019. In my own experience, the few defects I found were cosmetic. The factory wall covering was laminated to the wall over some coarse grit in one spot. The linoleum had an orange stain under the driver's seat. Finally, I would suggest inspecting it closely for nicks and scratches. Also open up all of the normally closed areas and have them clean up the sawdust, leftover screws, etc.
As others have mentioned, the USB outlet in the bedroom was not connected. The wires were all there-just not connected.
I suggest checking all of the cabinet doors for alignment as well as loose hinges. The anchors used in the hinges are woefully inadequate. Ditto for the toilet paper holder.
Check the stainless steel sinks for any tiny rust spots. I removed them with Barkeeper's Friend and it has been fine since.
My highest early priorities would be to replace the steering dampener or install a steering stabilizer. Add sound proofing to the engine cowling, floor, and front basement compartments. I replaced the jacknife sofa with recliners-it is very uncomfortable. I added a TPMS system.
The Axis/Vegas is a great RV for the money. You will be happy. Just don't expect perfection and plan on spending a few thousand dollars on various mod's.
It's great you are an engineer. I found it easier to just repair things myself rather to rely on a dealer with long lead times for repair!
The 24.1 made me learn many new things and adapt HUNDREDS of known things to rv particulars.

I wholly understand folks like me and you.
Those totally blind and totally refusing to learn or apply some slightly modified current knowledge...I don't understand.

There's a poster on a forum who says they've been a carpenter for 20 years(I changed his(maybe)occupation to protect) but is waiting two months for the dealer to adjust a piece of interior trim.
He'll NEVER be happy with that rv. He can't be. His participation is too low in this rv, high participation, life.

My polaris sportsman made me mad with no start due to cold, so yesterday I added remote battery terminals for an easy jump at zero degrees f.
No one told me how, I had seen the terminals and even had a set awaiting rv install, but I hadn't seen them on a quad. I just did it. Now I don't have to unload the front rack, remove the rack, mess with the tiny connections, then put it back together again.
Secondarily, I can now jump start other vehicles easily with the quad and even easily start a fire if necessity dictates.
(The remote terminals were bought for the 24.1 due to their battery placement and me not wanting to Jack with such a thing in the rain and cold and discontent if i needed jumped. Thinking people think, and I have thought to move the battery instead. Projects change midstream...I know you can jump the chassis through the house battery. I'm all about redundancy as a rule, so an alternative jump point is needed.)

I think if people didn't consider their rolling press-board house as a rolls royce purchase, did a bit for themselves instead of insisting warranty do it, we'd have 75% less
I hate Thor
Posts.

Make yourself happy.
The quoted poster does.
I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0114211529.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	28060  

Old 01-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #13

THOR #20289
I have always done 100% of my own work on the boats, RVs, and up until some years ago the cars that I have owned. Everything I read above I would do myself if it happens to me. My hope is to never return to the dealer for anything, although Albany RV does sound like a decent place.

David
Old 01-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #14

THOR #13932
Quote:
I have always done 100% of my own work on the boats, RVs, and up until some years ago the cars that I have owned. Everything I read above I would do myself if it happens to me. My hope is to never return to the dealer for anything, although Albany RV does sound like a decent place.

David
The best path, most clearly stated.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #15

State: Ontario
THOR #8849
We love our Axis 24.1
Go over the check list posted on this forum.
Congratulations!
Old 01-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #21176
Congratulations, we got ours in October. I haven't come across anything significantly different from Ed's manual with one exception: They've changed the location of the low point water drains.

I'm not sure what year they changed it but there are no more valves under the closet. Instead, the low point drains are under the passenger side bed (picture attached for detail).

In order to reach it:
  • Prop open the bed and wood base
  • Move aside the heating duct and 30amp wires
  • Find two small silver rings seemingly just sitting on the floor
  • Pull up on them, this will open the valves. They'll stay opened on their own

If you install a hardwired surge suppressor in this compartment (which I did with plenty of space to spare) keep in mind that you need to access here frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	28146  
2021 Axis 24.1/2019 Fusion Hybrid
Selurgniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #17

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
Congrats

Love our 2018 24.1 Axis. Out now, heading south.
Enjoy it!!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:50 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurgniman View Post
Congratulations, we got ours in October. I haven't come across anything significantly different from Ed's manual with one exception: They've changed the location of the low point water drains.

I'm not sure what year they changed it but there are no more valves under the closet. Instead, the low point drains are under the passenger side bed (picture attached for detail).

In order to reach it:
  • Prop open the bed and wood base
  • Move aside the heating duct and 30amp wires
  • Find two small silver rings seemingly just sitting on the floor
  • Pull up on them, this will open the valves. They'll stay opened on their own

If you install a hardwired surge suppressor in this compartment (which I did with plenty of space to spare) keep in mind that you need to access here frequently.
Not sure if the low point drains moved at all: Ours are in the same location as you describe and our unit is one of the very first Axis produced (2014).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #19

State: Ontario
THOR #8849
stuck in Ontario Canada.............Miss our trip to the Winter Nationals.
Stay safe.. Be smart... keep healthy..
Rick auz
BTW our Valves are in the same place
Old 01-21-2021, 01:43 AM   #20

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Chassis alignment

Did Ford stop offering a chassis alignment for owners of new motorhomes?

It had to be done in either the first 3 or 6 months after delivery.

It used to be mentioned in the chassis owners manual.