Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I did not say he could get rid of the transfer switch. I said he could get rid of his planned extra 30a plug.
You also mentioned he could get rid of the existing charger (converter) which will become redundant, and obsolete once he upgrades to lithium batteries in the future.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I didn't think anyone was following it anymore and things went down the humor road . Not that I mind. We all need a smile now and again. I'll resume after the holiday mayhem.

2.5k PS. I was going to go with the 3k but when I went to order it, there was no longer any reference to it - at all.
https://theinverterstore.com/product...erter-charger/

.....cut.....

Like some other Aims Inverters, specifications show it will power up to 3 times rated capacity for 20 seconds. That’s up to 7,500 Watts for very short periods.

If you plan on using that “surge” capacity even for a couple of seconds, make sure battery bank capacity and cables to inverter can handle really high current (like close to 1,000 Amps) for a few seconds without too much voltage drop, otherwise inverter will trip out due to low voltage.

Good luck with whatever design you pursue.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Like some other Aims Inverters, specifications show it will power up to 3 times rated capacity for 20 seconds. That’s up to 7,500 Watts for very short periods.

If you plan on using that “surge” capacity even for a couple of seconds, make sure battery bank capacity and cables to inverter can handle really high current (like close to 1,000 Amps) for a few seconds without too much voltage drop, otherwise inverter will trip out due to low voltage.

Good luck with whatever design you pursue.
Thanks Chance and thanks for the advice. Let's hope I never go there

Happy New Year.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #44

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
I have not read thru the whole thread yet, so maybe this has been addressed. You said he could get rid of the transfer switch. I would think you would want to keep that in front of the Inverter/charger. Then if you are running off shore power it will just flow thru. Plus if you remove that transfer switch and have a generator, you will have no way to switch that into service. So you would still need it for the generator. And you would want the generator output to go to the input of the Inverter/Charger. It will not care if the AC power is coming from shore power or the generator. AC is AC to the inverter/charger.
I think we're on the same page. Yes, xfr switch would remain in line. Converter/charger would be bypassed (or possibly removed altogether). I really don't want to mess with a breaker every time and it's under the bed, which is a PITA to get to if the slide is in. The mattress butts right up against the wardrobe with the slide in.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:32 PM   #45

THOR #12189
Wiring Dilemma

Here's a weird one.

In most of our coaches, there's a breaker mounted on the battery cage. Mine resides under the steps. It has a red trip button and yellow reset flag.

I'm getting ready to wire up the 12v side of the inverter.

In one process, the inverter pulls on the battery to create 120v. In another, it's a charger.

Dilemma: what side of the breaker do I wire the inverter to? The installation guide doesn't differentiate.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InverterCharger-AIMS-2500w.pdf (2.24 MB, 11 views)