Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
People think the tow/haul mode is only for towing. a trailer or toad. If that was the case they would have called it a tow mode. My e450 weighs in at over 14000 lbs. that said I’ll am carrying max load and the haul mode is used. Especially stopping because there is only four brake pads slowing 14000 lbs and any help from the downshifting engine is much appreciated

Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You're HAULING the weight of the motorhome. In T/H mode it will downshift sooner.
That's actually a good idea. I see a change of habit in my future. Now, if I can only remember to turn it off it the stop light
Old 07-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Low gear

I have a 18 30.3, same motor and transmission. I have been in the mountains of Northern New Mexico and Colorado and mainly what I try and do is keep it so that up or down hill the rpm does not go much over 4,000. When climbing a long grade that isn't very steep, trying to maintain 65mph it will jump to about 3500 from cruise at 2100. It's just in 4th so its not a issue. You can see both transmission temperature and motor coolant temps on the dash. Over 700 miles of up down last trip and the temps didn't even move off normal. Good motor, treat it right it will do a great job for you.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:43 AM   #24
EgV

Model: 22CFreedom Elite. 24&#821
State: Illinois
THOR #4805
I love this forum. I had the similar question about “straining” into the next gear. After this last time, I just said go do It baby. A mechanic friend said to me, don’t worry this vehicle will do its job. I am always hauling 2 horses so I hit the button and even when it strains a bit it goes to the next gear. I don’t do hills when hauling the horses as I’m in flat country. thank goodness.. Thanks for all the knowledge.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:57 AM   #25

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I looked up the peak Torgue and HP for my rig and placed a label on the dash. When climbing steep hills I usually will place it in the gear and speed that gets me to 3250 RPM which is approximate where I get peak torgue. If I remember right it is about 45 MPH going up Cajon Pass.

When coming down the other side, I use the tow haul switch so that I can control my speed. When in tow/haul on my rig it will down shift each time I step on the brakes until I get to a gear I am comfortable with.

I don't know if this helps but it makes me feel better not letting the engine rev up like a two stroke.
Same with Cajon Pass but going downhill I find that not using the Tow/Haul and just tapping occasionally on the brakes works okay without the very, very high RPMs. Now pulling our Jeep Wrangler so I don't do much more than 60 on flat roads. Going up Cajon Pass I'm with you, about 45.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:18 AM   #26

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
I had a 14 with 5 speed and got a 2016 with a 6 speed big difference for shifting, don't have the big rpm jumps up hill.
Living in Idaho I have traveled the mountains all over the west 11000 ft plus, the only gear that I have used is Drive and haul mode down hill, just leave cruse off in the mountains.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I had the six-speed. I did find that when I was descending a long series of hills: I would sometimes end up dropping down too many gears. (every tap of the brakes yielded a downshift.)
So I would re-set everything by turning Tow/Haul Off, and then turn it back on. That would start me back out in Drive, and I could repeat the process as often as was necessary.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote