Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwoode View Post
I have a 2019 Challenger 37yt With 3 slides. The passenger side (which houses the fridge, kitchen, and dinette) has already been repaired once under warranty for creeping out. Now it seems to have jumped a couple of teeth and the lower rear end and is sticking out 1.5" while the rest of it is flush. Called Thor, opened a claim, was told mid October was when they are scheduling appts (am 4.5 hrs away and willing to drive there). I just need to get the appointment scheduled and they gave me a number to call for scheduling and the name of a person, have left multiple messages and have not gotten a return call. Have called back to customer service and they do nothing but forward me to his voicemail. You think a company the size of Thor would have more than one person scheduling (and I was told they do )and could get me scheduled in. I'm really frustrated as I'd heard the service of the factory was actually pretty good compared to the overall reputation of Thor products. We have future trips planned and can use the RV with the slide in, but I don't want to do any damage to it driving down the road with the slide the way it is. I'm fully aware of the shortage of RVs and parts as a result of the pandemic, so I realize there is no quick fix, but a general customer service return of a call is a different matter. Can anyone give me some guidance as to my dilemma?
These slide outs are a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had to wait for weeks when the full side slide out failed on my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. I love the coach but this system is not worth and DAMN!!!!! Even after the service dept. in Statesville, NC a Gander Dealer replaced the front and rear gear tracks, new motors and adjusted the slide after only about five times running it out and back in, It failed because of a short. The after hours tech with Thor got it to work by bypassing the controller and it went in so we could head home from Texas. Unfortunately he failed to tell me to see if the red light on the controller was blinking once or twice. This would have told me which motor had the short and a harness could be ordered and were done. NOW, It has to happen again to read the code. Hopefully it will retract and I can get home. I have told Gander and Thor I would have paid more money for a manual slide out system that you crank AND a manual leveling system also....that leveling system is also A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS. You can tell that my ass has had ENOUGH!!! Good luck getting it fixed and it staying fixed; Bob

Old 08-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Broken slide

I have the same problem with mine. The factory said there was nothing wrong with it. How did you get your fixed?
Old 08-15-2021, 05:38 PM   #23

Model: Challenger
State: Arizona
THOR #17423
Figured I would give you an update on the broken slide. Through someone that purchased a 2021 Hurricane, and had to take it back to the factory to get some things fixed, they gave me a couple of names and numbers of people to call to get an appointment set up. I called them and left messages and still crickets. To protect their names I won't mention them. The thing that got Thor moving was on their website they let you send them an email directly and I typed an email in the middle of the night while I was thinking about it couldn't sleep stating my dilemma, not blaming anyone, not cursing Thor's reputation, but heralding their customer service department. I got an email the next day stating that if I didn't hear from the service department within 2 days to email them back. I got a call from Ballard Shell, unfortunately I missed it, and I called him back the next day. After several attempts I finally spoke with him and got an appointment scheduled, we dropped the RV off yesterday Saturday August 14th. He said if I just wanted the slide only addressed they could work me in and I should be able to pick it up in a week. If I need an additional things fixed it would take longer. He did ask me about a couple of other minor fixes and I put them on the list as optional, but we have camping set for September so I didn't want them to keep it for a really long time. When dropping the RV off there were people camping in the lot, as they provide 50 amp service and water. I talked to one gentleman that had a 2018 Aria that was there to get his slide adjusted due to the rollers shifting from all the driving he had done. He sang the praises of the Arias driving habits compared to his prior holiday rambler, and generally loved his RV. He must have also been one of the unlucky people that got the tail end of that bad batch of vinyl that was going around in the industry a few years ago, as he was stating they just spent $6,000 getting new recliners and having their front seats reupholstered. The fake leather facing peeled off like sunburned skin. Fortunately we store our RV inside and have been pretty good about covering the driver and passenger seats, and have not had any rips or tears in the 11,000 miles we've used our RV. I look forward to giving an update for my experience. In addition just wanted to say I feel very fortunate to only be about 240 miles away from the factory, as other people there had driven as far as South Carolina and Colorado.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #24

THOR #17423
On the subject of slide locks I had purchased a couple when I had the same problematic slide creeping out while driving. The dealer where I bought the RV did not recommend using them as he estimated that slide weighs about 3,000 pounds and he felt the damage that could occur to the main framing around the slide from the slide lock might be more likely. So I've never used them. I am interested in other people's opinions on this.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #25

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwoode View Post
On the subject of slide locks I had purchased a couple when I had the same problematic slide creeping out while driving. The dealer where I bought the RV did not recommend using them as he estimated that slide weighs about 3,000 pounds and he felt the damage that could occur to the main framing around the slide from the slide lock might be more likely. So I've never used them. I am interested in other people's opinions on this.
Even though Thor does not provide slide locks, there was a big warning sticker right next to the FireFly display saying "Remove Slide Locks Before Extending Slide."

As far as your dealer is concerned...... I might agree with him BUT only if there were no motors installed and the entire weight of the slide was on the slide locks.

Slide locks help keep all of the pressure off then motors. I have been using them and I have not any issues with my trim. You also don't want to crank them so tight you start pushing the trim out or putting dents in the walls.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Even though Thor does not provide slide locks, there was a big warning sticker right next to the FireFly display saying "Remove Slide Locks Before Extending Slide."

As far as your dealer is concerned...... I might agree with him BUT only if there were no motors installed and the entire weight of the slide was on the slide locks.

Slide locks help keep all of the pressure off then motors. I have been using them and I have not any issues with my trim. You also don't want to crank them so tight you start pushing the trim out or putting dents in the walls.
I bought my RV new from MHSRV is came with one slide lock. The delivery tech showed where and how to install it if necessary. Fortunately I have never had to install it. Good old Thor MC plant 750 does it again!
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:15 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
This is my worst nightmare. I feel for you. It keeps me awake sometimes knowing the dice are rolling all the time around you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
These slide outs are a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had to wait for weeks when the full side slide out failed on my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. I love the coach but this system is not worth and DAMN!!!!! Even after the service dept. in Statesville, NC a Gander Dealer replaced the front and rear gear tracks, new motors and adjusted the slide after only about five times running it out and back in, It failed because of a short. The after hours tech with Thor got it to work by bypassing the controller and it went in so we could head home from Texas. Unfortunately he failed to tell me to see if the red light on the controller was blinking once or twice. This would have told me which motor had the short and a harness could be ordered and were done. NOW, It has to happen again to read the code. Hopefully it will retract and I can get home. I have told Gander and Thor I would have paid more money for a manual slide out system that you crank AND a manual leveling system also....that leveling system is also A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS. You can tell that my ass has had ENOUGH!!! Good luck getting it fixed and it staying fixed; Bob
Old 08-30-2021, 03:08 AM   #28

THOR #17423
Update on slide repair. Thor fit us in, had the RV for 1 week, they called Friday afternoon and said it was ready. Due to working, we couldn't get up to Wakarusa until the following Friday, which was last Friday. I had been told that even though the faulty slide parts were not the ones previously replaced under warranty, there would be no charge! They also fixed a couple of other small problems we mentioned, at no charge. Steve Jones was our tech, and he greeted us around 9:30 am when we arrived. Regarding the slide repair, they replaced some parts, including a track, and when asking what the problem was, he said when it was assembled they didn't properly adjust it, and that it should be good to go now. We went up to Michigan City after picking it up, and everything worked fine for a camping weekend. Other than the previously noted difficulties getting ahold of Thor, our overall experience with customer service was good. In light of the parts shortages, along with a shortage of RV techs, we feel truly blessed to be back on the road. Will keep you updated!
Old 08-30-2021, 03:20 AM   #29

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Good to hear that you got your slide issue fixed. I wish I can take our RV straight to the factory to have the slide looked at and get fixed. It is just impossible as it would take me at least 3-4 days to drive to the factory. I have appointment this Sept 14 with the local dealership for the slide issue and some other smaller issues on my list.

Which THOR location did you took your RV to? You mentioned you were only 240 miles away. Aren’t you from AZ? Any other factory beside the one in IN that is closer to West Coast?
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:51 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Mine came with two slide locks and I always use them

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:40 AM   #31

THOR #17423
We took our Thor to the Wakarusa Indiana location headquarters. We're in Columbus Ohio so we are about 240 miles away. I am not in Arizona.