Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2022, 02:33 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Best High Quality Cell Phone Holder for RV

I am looking for a proven known high quality cell phone holder that will can sustain the physicality of bumps and being knocked around in an RV.

Please don't just send links to any cell phone holder nor any that cause for modifications to the RV. I am seeking to learn if there is a device that can be suction mounted on a standard dash, that will hold plus have a firm grip of the phone. I am talking PROVEN HIGH QUALITY.

Mine actually has worked very well, but on this trip I had to loosen it to rotate it vertically for my new RV GPS (which does not display horizontally). I have not been able to get it to hold my phone since. One simple bump and the phone falls out.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:46 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My e450 cutaway does not have an airbag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like this. It doesn't fail. It's right there. Like, right there.
Smooth slightly resistant swivel.

And
The mount I made from these.

Metal disk on back of phone and these.
These are not goof-around type magnets.

I'll also post three holders I have that use those rubbery microgrip pads and a link.

I haven't found a worthwhile commercial phone mount. I've tried dozens.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I fell that any on an "arm" will never work well in an RV. The one I have sits on top/center of MY DASH AREA (not the entire dash), has stayed in place and holds the phone well. It has 2 problems though:

It only holds the phone horizontal
It is no longer available on Amazon

A current one that works similarly is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Loncaster-Sil...dp/B07TZSC1P3/

For $12 bucks it may be worth a try.

I never rely on suction type holders by themselves. For anything that uses a suction holder I use some craft glue like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028DC0W8

With the suction cup to semi-permanently mount it. It's water soluble even after drying so it can be easily removed from both the vehicle as well as the suction cup.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:47 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have used the industrial strength magnet Duck showed for several years in cars, truck & RV... With a thin metal plate glued to the back of my phone case. Allows rotation... has never fell off. But it takes two hands to release the phone.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:41 PM   #5

THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Pho...2966800&sr=8-1

These are perfection itself. You can add a magnet mount, but I've never needed to.

Here's two of them. We have a third.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0123221242~01.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	35789  

Old 01-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

These are perfection itself. You can add a magnet mount, but I've never needed to.

Two month lead time on Amazon? Looks good but I'll pass.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #7

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Two month lead time on Amazon? Looks good but I'll pass.

They're an
as seen on tv thing(I think).
Walmart might have them..
I pasted the first google description I found.

I found these mounts in a little mom&pop boutique type 7-11(what do they call the little stores in NYC?) in the ski resort town above salt-lake city. I bought one, put it on the dash in the parking lot then went and bought their last two.
I paid $8 each.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:37 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
Wife and I each have one. Dozens of cell phone holders over the years in various configurations. We both agree the magnetic stuff has proven to be our favorite. Easy to grab off the holder and resecure with ease. Similar setups in our other vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B097T...b_b_asin_titleClick image for larger version

Name:	20220123_123127.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	35791
Old 01-23-2022, 08:40 PM   #9

THOR #13058
I see some good ideas. I am gonna take my time to process my needs with what may be the best. It is possible that I may buy 2 or 3 options that I learn about. I will get home later this week and have more time to do my formal analysis.

I am attaching a picture of current setup. It is actually my 3rd attempt. The 1s two, a different style physically broke. Like the ACE said the styles with the arms have trouble. I prefer the arms because it allows the phone to be close reach. See my picture. I have not had any problems with this one until last week when I got cute and rotated it to be vertical(thanks to my new RV GPS . For some reason even though I have put it back horizontal it will not hold the phone tight any more. The suction although sideways on the dash holds very good. I leave it stuck on RV Dash 24/7 not matter how hot it gets.

Let me restate / clarify requirements

1. Must not be destructive to the dash
2. Must be able to hole phone horizontal (Vertical only is excluded, but I am willing to ignore any app that will not work horizontally)
3. Needs to be in arms reach; so I may may safe touch with out over extending
4. Must not block my view of the road
5. Must have secure mount t dash with no chance of coming off
6. Must have secure mount to phone with no chance of coming off

Note: My current phone holder does all of the above but #6. My phone has started to slip out of holder with every road bump
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220123_141942.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	35790  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-23-2022, 08:41 PM   #10

THOR #13932
Add a magnet to your current holder?

Old 01-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:

I have been sitting here looking at your picture about an hour, and all I see is the Cabinet Bar

I don't know if others appreciate that bar as much as I do, but the bar should be the 1st thing in every man's garage. You can get tools to actually fix stuff later if necessary. I think it more important to sit down and have a drink while you think what may be next Now what was I working on?
Old 01-23-2022, 08:52 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Will I need to put a magnet on back side of phone, or just only on the holder?

I am a simpleton, my phone has no case just what came from Samsung, It is design to with stand drops so why folks by protectors is way over my head.

Also, that Chateauing Normadic Guy seem to suggest it took two hands to get phone off the magnet? I wonder if that would eventually have me rip the suction off the dash?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:01 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Wife and I each have one. Dozens of cell phone holders over the years in various configurations. We both agree the magnetic stuff has proven to be our favorite. Easy to grab off the holder and resecure with ease. Similar setups in our other vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B097T...b_b_asin_titleAttachment 35791

This is intriguing... few questions.

1. I assume it will stick to my Samsung S20 as it is with no cover or no need to add a magnet on back of of Samsung S20?

2. How strong is the pivot arm? In your application you have the arms down but in my case I would want the arm upright so it is closer to me as driver (see my picture earlier) My worry is will it get loose over time and cause the phone to keep drooping down even though the magnet holds it?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
When I looked closer, I don't think adding a magnet to existing holder is an option. Look at the new blown up picture. You will see a round button in the center. When you press the phone's back into the hold it releases the jaws to come down to hold the phone. So if magnet is back there that function would not work? Maybe you would not need it due to magnet so jaws are always forced opened?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-23 150848.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	35793  
Old 01-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The holder in my truck slides into the CD player slot in the dash (holds surprisingly secure) - then has a ball socket which I have torqued tight, because I can just pivot the phone on the magnet if rotation is needed.

The magnet is STRONG - like hall effect sending unit strong. It can be removed with one hand if you tip it just right... or risk pulling the whole works out of the CD slot. But I'd rather have it secure.

I have a simple basic silicone rubber (slip on) "case" in my Pixel phone.
https://www.spigen.com/collections/p...39968780615727

The magnetic holder came with a 2" x 1.5" very thin 3M adhesive backed metal plate - which I stuck about the center of the case.

It has worked VERY well in any orientation... I adapted another holder in the RV to work with my setup.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:45 PM   #16

THOR #13932
Magnet on the holder.
Super thin metal disk on the phone.
I have a box of the thin 2inch ish metal disks at the shop. I'll find the nomenclature on the box and let you know.

Or I'll mail you some of the 1,000 or so I have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0420181335a-1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	35795  

Old 01-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #17

THOR #13932
I bought the cd phone holder.
First one came missing parts second one came missing parts.
I gave up.
I liked the idea for my avalanche.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:18 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The holder in my truck slides into the CD player slot in the dash (holds surprisingly secure) - then has a ball socket which I have torqued tight, because I can just pivot the phone on the magnet if rotation is needed.

The magnet is STRONG - like hall effect sending unit strong. It can be removed with one hand if you tip it just right... or risk pulling the whole works out of the CD slot. But I'd rather have it secure.

I have a simple basic silicone rubber (slip on) "case" in my Pixel phone.
https://www.spigen.com/collections/p...39968780615727

The magnetic holder came with a 2" x 1.5" very thin 3M adhesive backed metal plate - which I stuck about the center of the case.

It has worked VERY well in any orientation... I adapted another holder in the RV to work with my setup.
I don't have a CD player so that is Not an option. I always drive the RV for anywhere I wsih to go with exception of Lowed , Home Depot etc. to which I don't need the GPS, but I never had this issue in my Navigator. Maybe because it was smooth ride?

How thin is thin, we talkin microns? 1/8", 1/16" etc?
Old 01-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #19

THOR #13932
Maybe half-minus as thick as a Progresso soup can lid...a little thicker than a soda can.

I carry my phone screen inboard in my front pants pocket.
It had never caught on anything.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Magnet on the holder.
Super thin metal disk on the phone.
I have a box of the thin 2inch ish metal disks at the shop. I'll find the nomenclature on the box and let you know.

Or I'll mail you some of the 1,000 or so I have.

Next time I read anyone just complaining or bashing on Thor, Winnebago or any other RV MFG; I can send them this picture and ask them if their real problem is that perhaps they are missing something else important about life?

I very rarely if EVER read a post from someone asking about something they see as a defect before they buy it wanting advice. And given they have bought, and given that yes you can't identify everything that may possible go wrong, I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE, show a MFG defect from MFG that was actually under warranty that the MFG refused to repair. Worse some folks hold their grudges forever, sometimes I wonder if some of these Mfg ignore some of these folks on purpose accepting their bitterness for their greater good in that they may hope that consumer NEVER buys from them again? It is akin to why I will loan money to some relative knowing I will never see them or that money again. Oh and by the way, I get to hear the relative complain complain about how I am the being cheap to even expect them to pay back

BTW, if that very top shelf bottle to the furthest right happens to come up missing.....