Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #22705
Fast internet in RV for $50 a month

For those looking for a fast internet solution for you RV take a look at T-Mobile home internet.

I use it at home for $50 a month, and below are my results taking it 1300 miles the last 2 days.

Traveled from IL to Ft Myers FL. The T-Mobile home internet works fantastic. Traveled down interstates 74, 55, 24, and 75 all with a good connection.
My kids watched alot of Netflix on a smart tv and my wife worked remotely on her laptop with several Skye calls with no dropped calls.

What I love about it. Is I unplugged the T-Mobile home internet and 1 of our Google WiFi pucks from our house and plugged them in the 1 outlet in our RV with constant 110. All phones and devices picked up the internet just like at home. Didn't need the generator at all, no password or network changes needed.

Currently sitting in Ft Myers getting 378MBps speeds in a random parking lot, waiting to check in later today at our campground which has notoriously bad wifi.

*Disclaimer - T-Mobile states that their home internet only works at your billing location.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Will review thx
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #3

THOR #20220
Interesting is it unlimited?
How does everyone use if 1 plan?
Do they all hotspot to the 1 device?
What is streaming hotspot limit in gb?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211216-070836_Chrome.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	35233  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #4

THOR #20220
In its announcement, T-Mobile revealed that they have surpassed the 500,000 goal it targeted at the start of the year. This may not sound like a lot, but it’s important to remember that 5G Home Internet is still a young product. Not to mention, it has a limited availability.

T-Mo has offered its 5G Home Internet service at $50/month since April. This plan comes with download speeds of over 100Mbps, with an average range of between 35 and 115Mbps. The 5G Wi-Fi Gateway device is also included in the plan.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

THOR #20220
T-Mobile Home Internet user shares reaching 95TB data usage

https://www.tmonews.com/2021/11/t-mo...tb-data-usage/
Old 12-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inthefamily View Post
For those looking for a fast internet solution for you RV take a look at T-Mobile home internet.

I use it at home for $50 a month, and below are my results taking it 1300 miles the last 2 days.

Traveled from IL to Ft Myers FL. The T-Mobile home internet works fantastic. Traveled down interstates 74, 55, 24, and 75 all with a good connection.
My kids watched alot of Netflix on a smart tv and my wife worked remotely on her laptop with several Skye calls with no dropped calls.

What I love about it. Is I unplugged the T-Mobile home internet and 1 of our Google WiFi pucks from our house and plugged them in the 1 outlet in our RV with constant 110. All phones and devices picked up the internet just like at home. Didn't need the generator at all, no password or network changes needed.

Currently sitting in Ft Myers getting 378MBps speeds in a random parking lot, waiting to check in later today at our campground which has notoriously bad wifi.

*Disclaimer - T-Mobile states that their home internet only works at your billing location.
I ordered to try! Appreciate

Thanks for your order
Old 12-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
DW and I both have unlimited plans from Verizon

We aren't big TV watchers but do have DirecTV so not much media streaming

I tried all the other major carriers and always came back to Verizon out of necessity if I wanted better coverage

I know many of the other carriers have improved in the last couple years so good luck
Old 12-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

I tried all the other major carriers and always came back to Verizon out of necessity if I wanted better coverage

I know many of the other carriers have improved in the last couple years so good luck

Same here we were in Hawaii with AT&T and trying to close a house no signal! Next to us people talking on verizon..Verizon.. is great except we have youtube tv and stream everything and football and on road traveling until april. ..only 30 gb hotspot verizon with dam unlimited plan! Put a verizon card in winegard and $40 at 50gb. But sometimes winegard does not connect..( will address with verizon at next stop() t Mobile unlimited 4g/5g no plans and connect 64 devices to their router. Will try!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:09 PM   #9

THOR #22705
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

My family's cell phones are Verizon unlimited as well.

I went T-Mobile home internet as it's $50 a month with no contract. I use it at home and cancelled our overpriced Xfinity gigabit internet saving $75. The bonus is I can take it from home and still have our Verizon cells as a backup. What I have been told is after the Sprint/T-Mobile merger T-Mobile is alot better. Guess I will see, but not too worried as I can cancel anytime.

We dropped Hulu + and switched to YouTube TV as Hulu blocks you from watching TV outside of our zip code. Wife and kids absolutely love the switch, as everything works "just like home".
Old 12-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We have Verizon.
We do not have unlimited data.
Two weeks on the road usually cost us $45 in over runs, not throttled back.
That's with an echo/Alexa running 24/7 and very liberal usage.

$45 every trip beats $50 a month every month.
And
We download a tv series or two and very bad b movies onto our phone for the trip, at ZERO added cost.
But
We are not sports fans and haven't had cable or ota at home in 10 or so years.
Just sayin' maybe a second thought could negate the need. I'm sure newbs are confused.

$45 three or four times a year...
$50 per month....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
My family's cell phones are Verizon unlimited as well.

I went T-Mobile home internet as it's $50 a month with no contract. I use it at home and cancelled our overpriced Xfinity gigabit internet saving $75. The bonus is I can take it from home and still have our Verizon cells as a backup. What I have been told is after the Sprint/T-Mobile merger T-Mobile is alot better. Guess I will see, but not too worried as I can cancel anytime.

We dropped Hulu + and switched to YouTube TV as Hulu blocks you from watching TV outside of our zip code. Wife and kids absolutely love the switch, as everything works "just like home".

Same here we LOVE youtubetv! Also with t Mobile internet we save $44 month..spectrum internet $94 ,month! And like you we are on the road a few months so will try to mobile internet...
Old 12-17-2021, 12:39 AM   #12

THOR #22705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We have Verizon.
We do not have unlimited data.
Two weeks on the road usually cost us $45 in over runs, not throttled back.
That's with an echo/Alexa running 24/7 and very liberal usage.

$45 every trip beats $50 a month every month.
And
We download a tv series or two and very bad b movies onto our phone for the trip, at ZERO added cost.
But
We are not sports fans and haven't had cable or ota at home in 10 or so years.
Just sayin' maybe a second thought could negate the need. I'm sure newbs are confused.

$45 three or four times a year...
$50 per month....
I get where you are coming from. For us I am after stable internet first, price second. My wife and I both work remote (since March 2020) with no plans to return to the office. So stable internet that supports Skype audio and video calls as well as access without drops to our companies VPN is key to our work success.

In my experience using our Verizon cells as hotspots for work has been ok. Which works fine 95% of the time for what we do.
What I have seen thus far from T-Mobile has been better.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:48 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I have Verizon’s version of the same thing. $60 a month. Next outing I’m going to take with us to see if it works
Old 12-17-2021, 01:44 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

Is the essence of what you are really trying to say is if some wish switch their home internet service, they may be able to get connection while traveling in their RV?

We have 2 T Mobile phones with unlimited plans, and we stream through the phones all the time via phone's hotspot or stream direct to Samsung TV or Roku Ultra. Of course we only do that when wifi is not available.

But if I follow you right, if the T-Mobile Home service is equivalent and cheaper to my existing Spectrum at home, this could be a no lose proposition for us?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:53 AM   #15

THOR #13932
But
If you're not home, neither is your internet.
No alarms or camera or monitors or watering systems or remote door locks.
No ring doorbell.

If you're not in the RV, same thing.
Where you aren't, internet isn't.

Or I'm not understanding what exactly the idea is.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
But
No ring doorbell.

"Here I am where I am supposed to be"; my internet is not back where the "two roads that diverged at the yellow wood" I travel from.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
But
No ring doorbell.

I don't need all those fancy security systems...
Old 12-17-2021, 02:11 AM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Sounds like a pretty good deal, too bad it isn't available in my area.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:12 AM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I don't need all those fancy security systems...
https://youtu.be/ufDTDUPZrag
You always spend money on fancy stuff Solar, RV Covers and a Donk.

We have a simple Mongo for our RV; I will have to video the next time I park my RV backwards at a wide open gas lane at Sam's Club; when all the other lines are all 5 - 8 cars deep

Old 12-17-2021, 02:14 AM   #20

THOR #13932
We have a trunk monkey.
(Look up trunk monkey)