Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2021, 04:06 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Thanks for the video. I had always wondered about the impact of the chf and the surrounding parts, but there are tons of people who swear by it.

As for your comment on why hasn't ford done this, or the manufacturers. Well I had wondered the same thing about the steering stabilizers. They really make a difference and yet they are also not standard.
I can't find a video, and what is a "CHF"?

Chief

Old 02-07-2021, 04:40 AM   #62
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
I can't find a video, and what is a "CHF"?

Chief
It's in the link on the first post of this thread. It will also answer your question.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #63

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #22093
I put a Safety Plus steering damper and Sumo Springs on my 2019 - 26,000lb F-53 chassis and those mods along with a meticulous front end alignment dramatically improved the ride and handling. I would like to take it to the next level and thought about the CHP but I haven’t felt comfortable taking the leap. I guess it’s because I can’t find any official technical bulletin from FMC that explains it with an endorsement supporting the modification. I’d feel better having that in hand but that’s just me.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #64

THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's in the link on the first post of this thread. It will also answer your question.
Got it. Thanks.

Chief
Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britman55 View Post
...I guess it’s because I can’t find any official technical bulletin from FMC that explains it with an endorsement supporting the modification. I’d feel better having that in hand but that’s just me.
You won't find anything from FMC about it.
Since they can't guarantee the quality of anyone else's work (and they're not doing it for you): they won't offer anything even approaching tacit approval for this modification.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #66

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #22093
Yeah just what I thought. Thanks for confirming
Old 02-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #67

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
I put a Safety Plus steering damper and Sumo Springs on my 2019 - 26,000lb F-53 chassis and those mods along with a meticulous front end alignment dramatically improved the ride and handling. I would like to take it to the next level and thought about the CHP but I haven’t felt comfortable taking the leap. I guess it’s because I can’t find any official technical bulletin from FMC that explains it with an endorsement supporting the modification. I’d feel better having that in hand but that’s just me.
That has been my thinking. It is only logical for those that wish to be methodical and personally accountable about what they do to their RV. That is knock a knock on the virtue of CHF or those that endorse. Having said that, the video posted was the 1st formal thing I have seen against the CHF. In the big picture the risk in video and cost to repair if failure were to occur seems to be minor and not some major concern.

I think the Duck's post #43 is the best explanation for why Ford and RV Mfg don't advocate. Throw in Halfprice's years of experience with modifications, I am sure it is safe to do. Think of this way, if it were really bad, it would come with warnings to NOT do it. The fact that I have found at one major RV Service Center that is willing to do the "Hack" for 1 hour labor is all I need. (Note: my Winnebago Dealer would not)

In my personal situation, the "Hack" is not eminent because I will wait and see how it runs with the new Sumos springs installed. If it is good enough, I will leave alone, but if I still feel that Sway may be an issue, it will be exactly what they have been calling it a "Cheap Handling Fix"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #68

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Not who... but why, and when?

Was the very 1st F-53 that rolled off Ford's assembly line equipped with both sets of holes? Maybe the current empty holes was the intended original design holes and things didn't go to their liking; so they added a second set of holes which is now the standard holes; but they did not go back to the OEM supplier to have them modify their tooling (mfg process) to eliminate the 2nd set of holes? I don't know but the entire subject is only too crazy because Ford certainly does not talk or comment on CHF or the extra set of holes.

My point is that by now, it ought to be some formal white paper from Ford advising customers as to exactly what is recommended. My guess, is that they won't write one because they do not wish to assume any liability for any modifications made? They know if they were to have eliminated the holes; they would have had another problem with disgruntles who wanted the holes pre-drilled to do the CHF because even I know that if customers starting drilling those holes to do their own CHF, it could introduce even more points of failure ?

Seems like Ford acknowledged the 2nd hole, by adding the Z bar that filled both holes. But I'm a rookie.

I gave up the first time when I couldn't turn the Z bar to complete the CHF. After reading more in the forums I took a second shot at it. I put it in a vise & turned it with a cheater bar. Now it rides much better.

After changing the front, I didn't notice any change, so I bought an aftermarket bar & it worked.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #69

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Seems like Ford acknowledged the 2nd hole, by adding the Z bar that filled both holes. But I'm a rookie.

I gave up the first time when I couldn't turn the Z bar to complete the CHF. After reading more in the forums I took a second shot at it. I put it in a vise & turned it with a cheater bar. Now it rides much better.

After changing the front, I didn't notice any change, so I bought an aftermarket bar & it worked.
Did you have tge z bar on the fronts??

I know the rear had the z bar. And I believe in 2018 they were pressed in and a bitch to remove. I have read on the irv2 thread that a couple people said their front had the z bar also but I've never seen it

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #70

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
Quote:
My first trip in my 2016 ACE was almost my last. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Did some research, got the front end alignment and it was a little better. Adjusted tire pressure and it was better still. Read almost every page of the CHF thread and decided to give it a try. The difference in handeling was amazing. Over 15,000 miles driven since I did the CHF and no problems. Thousands of f53 owners have done the CHF and I don't remember any one regretting it. It's hard for me to believe that the mechanic in the video hasn't seen broken links on other vehicles that had nothing to do with the CHF. Parts fail.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #71

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprun View Post
My first trip in my 2016 ACE was almost my last. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Did some research, got the front end alignment and it was a little better. Adjusted tire pressure and it was better still. Read almost every page of the CHF thread and decided to give it a try. The difference in handeling was amazing. Over 15,000 miles driven since I did the CHF and no problems. Thousands of f53 owners have done the CHF and I don't remember any one regretting it. It's hard for me to believe that the mechanic in the video hasn't seen broken links on other vehicles that had nothing to do with the CHF. Parts fail.
The video is just a commercial for their sway bar
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #72

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I did the CHF on my 2017 Ace 15,000 miles back. Great improvement in handling.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:50 PM   #73

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
After changing the front, I didn't notice any change, so I bought an aftermarket bar & it worked.[/QUOTE]

You are the very first person I’ve found in years of reading who did the CHF and later bought a replacement sway bar and found a difference. Glad it worked for you.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:58 PM   #74

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Did you have tge z bar on the fronts??

I know the rear had the z bar. And I believe in 2018 they were pressed in and a bitch to remove. I have read on the irv2 thread that a couple people said their front had the z bar also but I've never seen it

Jerry

None on the front, just rear & very pressed in!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:20 AM   #75

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
None on the front, just rear & very pressed in!
Yeah and it's a bitch to get off
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-08-2021, 12:21 AM   #76

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Curious to know in what order and if they were done at different times to evaluate the effects?

I did Safe T Plus a s soon as I got my new RV, now about 15 months later I am scheduled to have front & rear Sump Springs.

I think I should drive it a while to see if it is something that a CHF could actually improve for me? Don't sumo springs improve sway too?

Based on this thread CHF is not so far out for me as I once thought. It only costs $150 and I can have a legit service center do (Camping World) only for liability in the extremes circumstance I would need. It looks really simple to do.
I took things a step at a time. I loaded the coach as it came from the dealer and went on a trip. The coach was a bear to drive. It wandered all over the road and felt like we were riding in a Conestoga wagon. I checked the tire pressures the next day and they were all over 100 psi. I reduced the pressures to the Thor sticker values. On the way home the ride was improved. I took the loaded coach to the nearest CAT scale and weighed it. Reset the pressures to the actual weight. It road better. Took the coach to a Ford medium duty truck shop and had the front end aligned. Now it road better and tracked straighter. Took another trip and the coach was manageable on the road but passing mega buses still blew it around some. Did the CHF and took another trip. Big trucks and buses were no longer an issue when the passed me on the road. Installed the saf-t-plus for blow out safety reasons. It also helps return the steering wheel to neutral. It may help, some, in the winds of the Texas Panhandle, don't know. After a 5,000 mile east coast swing I installed the sumo springs to try and smooth the ride. The ride is smoother with the front sumos, but haven't taken a trip longer than 500 miles with them. I think I am done now.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote