Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #921

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Forgot to add this. When we left for our trip I decided to take a small detour and get the mh weighted again. Last time I was light on gear. So we went to the scales and only got axel weights. We are pulling the jeep so I could not get each tire weight separately. Heres the weights:

Front-6300
Rear-10900
Jeep-4520
Total w/Jeep- 21720

My water tank was lower than what I like to drive with. So I would add maybe 100lbs to the front.

I was just below 3/4 on gas so I would add about 200lbs to the rear.

I think I'm good with the weight distribution and within spec of the rig.

Jerry
Jerry,
Just wondered what your specs say is the GCWR for the 29M ?

Kent

Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #922

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Don,

Sweet configuration!!! I just purchased the same model compressor. Is that compartment on the driver side?
Yes driver side front compartment

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #923

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
Jerry,
Just wondered what your specs say is the GCWR for the 29M ?

Kent
18000 for motorhome 23000 motorhome + tow vehicle
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #924

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
So, our next mod is to add a ZTE Mobley to the OBDII port on our Hurricane so we have an unlimited data access point in our rig. Found the information on RV.net in the Technology forum there... basically, this is a special deal. It is only available with AT&T and for $20/month on what they call a "car connect plan" you can have unlimited data (same as the other advertised unlimited - up to 22GB then it can be throttled) and is way less expensive than paying for a standard data plan (like we have with our other MiFi - a 10GB data plan is $60/month.) We bought our Mobley at Best Buy (on sale for $79) and activated it last night. It is also available on the AT&T web site.

Today we start our trip from Virginia to Sioux Falls, SD and we will see how she performs. Stay tuned...
Have a safe trip John and give us some feedback on your Mobley.

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #925

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
What do you learned folks use to squeeze your windshields? Do you squeeze or just rely on rain-x? I heard you could use a windshield wiper attached to an extension pole. What is a good way to make an attachment?

Thanx
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1MxKoD5pfL.jpg

I use something similar to this. Use the pad to scrub bugs and the squeegee to dry. Get the extendable pole so you can reach the top, available at Camping World, Amazon, and most truck stops for about $20.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #926

Model: FE22 (traded)
State: North Carolina
THOR #4681
HALFPRICE: CONGRATS!!!!! I'm 2 yrs out from the same job. Can't wait! I had the fusion back in 2005 and haven't had a problem since. Seems our chosen line of work does a job on the 'ol spine in one form or fashion.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #927

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
SuperD,

Thanks for the reply. I have one of those and the scrubber works ok. The squeezee does not fit the curve of the windshield during a vertical downward stroke. Does not make good surface contact. If I used a ladder and did horizontal strokes it might work better. A few times during travel I had an insect covered windshield. I would like to clean and squeeze the windshield during fuel stops without using a ladder. I could just use the washers and wipers. Then clean the wipers with a rag. Maybe I will have to be satisfied with that method.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #928

THOR #5196
Shawn, you're right about not fitting the curve well. Trick I learned from a real window washer, wipe the squeegee after every pass, keeps it from streaking. When I stop for gas I use my squeegee and a handful of the station paper towels. After years of practice I'm pretty good at getting a clean windshield. Sorta, lol!

I've thought about buying a wide window squeegee like the professionals use and then bending a slight cube in it, might do that one of these days.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #929

THOR #6199
Inspect your storage compartment floors

I was getting ready to put my air compressor in a storage compartment similar to what dcbenny did. I was removing the gear in the compartment and noticed its floor was beginning to collapse. Inspection revealed they failed to secure the rear half of it. They were sparse in the front half in my opinion. I could see daylight so there goes the waterproof part also. Looks like I will be inspecting and securing the others tomorrow. Good old Thor quality control.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #930

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
Shawn. Now I have another item on my to do list. So frustrating having verify every freaking thing Thor does.... grr
Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #931

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Another Mod bites the dust my friends. I got real tired of those nasty curtains in the cockpit so I gave it some thought and this is what I came up with. since the overhead bunk posed a problem with the shades covering the entire side window, I covered as much as I could and used Reflectix for the rest. When not in use, I place the Reflectix cutouts on the mattress in the overhead bunk...The first pic shows the solar shade, the second shows the night shade and the third shows the nightshade with the Reflectix insert!

What do you think?

That looks awesome. I have been tinkering with some similar options and we made our own Reflectix shades as well. We tried to use Velcro to hold them in place, but on the sunny side it gets too hot and the Velcro glue side just comes off. I am thinking about using some 3M hooks and skinny girls hair scrunchies (the bands used to make ponytails) at the corners to hold them in place. The big windshield one just fits in perfectly, no need for hooks.

I did get a side shade, but it is portable and uses suction cups to hold on to the top window glass. I like your much more permanent solution.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #932

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
That looks awesome. I have been tinkering with some similar options and we made our own Reflectix shades as well. We tried to use Velcro to hold them in place, but on the sunny side it gets too hot and the Velcro glue side just comes off. I am thinking about using some 3M hooks and skinny girls hair scrunchies (the bands used to make ponytails) at the corners to hold them in place. The big windshield one just fits in perfectly, no need for hooks.

I did get a side shade, but it is portable and uses suction cups to hold on to the top window glass. I like your much more permanent solution.
Thanks John!

Old 04-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #933

THOR #2757
Quote:
I was getting ready to put my air compressor in a storage compartment similar to what dcbenny did. I was removing the gear in the compartment and noticed its floor was beginning to collapse. Inspection revealed they failed to secure the rear half of it. They were sparse in the front half in my opinion. I could see daylight so there goes the waterproof part also. Looks like I will be inspecting and securing the others tomorrow. Good old Thor quality control.
Attached is the compresor that I have...Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-09 12_09_03-Amazon.com_ Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit_ Automotiv.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	4526  

Old 04-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #934

THOR #6199
Squeeze for compound curve windshield

SuperD,

I bought a 28 inch windshield wiper at Home Depot. I was able to nylon zip tie it to my scrubber / squeezee. There were 4 holes conveniently located between the scrubber and squeezee. Works like a charm.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #935

THOR #5196
Quote:
SuperD,

I bought a 28 inch windshield wiper at Home Depot. I was able to nylon zip tie it to my scrubber / squeezee. There were 4 holes conveniently located between the scrubber and squeezee. Works like a charm.
Great idea!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #936

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Just completed see how good it is next week And something new on the front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modd Fan.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	4551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modd Plate.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	4552  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #937
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Attached is the compresor that I have...Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit
Purchased one of these for my RV several months back. I have used it several times with excellent results. Powerful compressor in a small package.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #938

THOR #6199
Quote:
Just got done inspecting my storage compartment floors. Two of them only had 3 screws total. Overall screws were very sparse. I put in an additional 92 screws. I tried to space them every 6 to 8 inches. I also found about a dozen screws that secure the bottom trim pieces only about half screwed in. Good old Thor quality control.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #939

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
THOR #6863
Quote:
Just got done inspecting my storage compartment floors. Two of them only had 3 screws total. Overall screws were very sparse. I put in an additional 92 screws. I tried to space them every 6 to 8 inches. I also found about a dozen screws that secure the bottom trim pieces only about half screwed in. Good old Thor quality control.
Shawn,
If you haven't loaded things back, is it too late to ask you to post some pics of what you've done? This is very disconcerting to think that such an obvious thing would be left undone by Thor. I'm glad you've shared this so we all can check our rigs.

Kent
Old 04-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #940

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Purchased one of these for my RV several months back. I have used it several times with excellent results. Powerful compressor in a small package.
I agree 100%! A good friend recommended that compressor to me and I ordered it from Amazon. I've used it on my RV, SUV and even my riding mower...love it!!