RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We will be taking it out tomorrow so that will be the first trip with the Sumo's installed.

There is only one part number for the rears for the F-550. It is a 2800lb rated spring (SSR-120-54).

I went with the lightest option for the fronts.... the 1000lb rated springs (SSF-111-40).

Thank you Judge! Hopefully they will soften the jolt when hitting rough bridge transitions and holes/ruts in the road. That's my only issue with the F550 at the moment, as the benefits of being "rock-solid", tracking so well, and having very little sway, make it ride a little hard on such things.
__________________

__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,508
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Thank you Judge! Hopefully they will soften the jolt when hitting rough bridge transitions and holes/ruts in the road. That's my only issue with the F550 at the moment, as the benefits of being "rock-solid", tracking so well, and having very little sway, make it ride a little hard on such things.
We will be hitting some rough roads this weekend. I will give you an update as to how the ride changes with the new Sumo's installed as soon as I have some miles on them on those conditions!
__________________

__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,761
THOR #8860
Good luck. I hope they work as well (or better!) for you; as they did on the Outlaw!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,508
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Thank you Judge! Hopefully they will soften the jolt when hitting rough bridge transitions and holes/ruts in the road. That's my only issue with the F550 at the moment, as the benefits of being "rock-solid", tracking so well, and having very little sway, make it ride a little hard on such things.

We put about 100 miles on to our first campground for the weekend. I think there is a noticeable difference with the Sumo痴 on the F-550.

I always felt the stock F-550 was much better than the E-450, which is definitely the case. But the Sumos did smooth out the ride over the bridge transitions and rough road. It felt like it was floating versus real rigid. I also think the coach was quieter.

I値l report back as we work our way to Vermont and put on more miles but so far I知 glad I installed them.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,334
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We put about 100 miles on to our first campground for the weekend. I think there is a noticeable difference with the Sumo痴 on the F-550.

I always felt the stock F-550 was much better than the E-450, which is definitely the case. But the Sumos did smooth out the ride over the bridge transitions and rough road. It felt like it was floating versus real rigid. I also think the coach was quieter.

I値l report back as we work our way to Vermont and put on more miles but so far I知 glad I installed them.
Who would think adding to the spring's stiffness would improve the ride? I agree that it does.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Who would think adding to the spring's stiffness would improve the ride? I agree that it does.
I was thinking, and apparently it is the case, that they might help the hard hits on the rear overload springs and bump stops in the front. These rigs are touching the overloads sitting static, which means the ability of the actual spring pack to absorb shock is completely gone. The stiff as a train rail overloads are taking it all, and that particular connection is metal-to-metal.

The "proper" way to fix it would be to weigh each corner and have a custom spring pack developed for each side to get it into a better static load position, and coils made for the front to do the same, but who wants to go down that rabbit hole
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We put about 100 miles on to our first campground for the weekend. I think there is a noticeable difference with the Sumo痴 on the F-550.

I always felt the stock F-550 was much better than the E-450, which is definitely the case. But the Sumos did smooth out the ride over the bridge transitions and rough road. It felt like it was floating versus real rigid. I also think the coach was quieter.

I値l report back as we work our way to Vermont and put on more miles but so far I知 glad I installed them.
That's great to hear. Looking forward to some more experience as you move on. Did you happen to measure or notice any increase in height, as I already struggle with the stock height of the trailer hitch in stock form.
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #48
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
Posts: 8
THOR #18880
Thanks very much! Just got home from a 6 week cross-country adventure in our "new" (2015) RV, one of the things I hated most about driving it was the shocks/sway/crosswinds, hopefully these help (I can't imagine how they couldn't) - and just saved $100 - appreciate you sharing the coupon code, otherwise would have just bought them on amazon - also NO TAX!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just an FYI.....

Super Springs is running a promotion of 15% for Sumo Springs for an F53 Chassis. They are also running a 10% promotion on other products.

I decided to add Sumo Springs to my Magnitude SV34 and take advantage of the 10% off even though I have been happy with the ride and handling.

I just added the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier and a spare tire to my Magnitude. The setup is adding at least 150lbs to the back of the coach so I decided to install the Sumo's as well.

They are coming today so I removed the stock bump stops yesterday. The passenger side was easy. The drivers side was slightly more work because of some wiring harnesses running over the mounting bolt.
__________________
tullywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
Posts: 1
THOR #19822
Sumo Springs

Hi guys, I'm a new member and also a 1st time RV owner. We just picked up a 2016 Hurricane 31S. Its been a dream of ours for a long time and we finally made it happen. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, my question is that our RV already has the Roadmaster sway bars front & rear as well as a steering stabilizer. There is still some swaying going on while driving on the freeway. I ordered the Sumo Springs from ETrailer and will install this coming weekend. My question is would I still relocate the sway bar bolts with a Roadmaster using the CHF fix? I appreciate any feedback on that.

Thanks
__________________
OC_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:19 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_Mike View Post
Hi guys, I'm a new member and also a 1st time RV owner. We just picked up a 2016 Hurricane 31S. Its been a dream of ours for a long time and we finally made it happen. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, my question is that our RV already has the Roadmaster sway bars front & rear as well as a steering stabilizer. There is still some swaying going on while driving on the freeway. I ordered the Sumo Springs from ETrailer and will install this coming weekend. My question is would I still relocate the sway bar bolts with a Roadmaster using the CHF fix? I appreciate any feedback on that.

Thanks

Welcome to the campsite Mike. A ton of information in here, so it's best to use the search feature first for just about anything, read for a few days, and then start a new thread ask if it hasn't been covered.


Did a quick search on "CHF Fix", as I have no idea what that is, and am already overwhelmed with all the information in this one thread https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:39 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I値l report back as we work our way to Vermont and put on more miles but so far I知 glad I installed them.

Come on back buddy...inquiring minds want to know more about how they feel
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,508
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Come on back buddy...inquiring minds want to know more about how they feel
Hit some pretty rough roads on the way up to Vermont and while I can't say it rode like a Lincoln, I think the Sumo upgrade was worth it.

I used the 1" spacer on the rear sumos so there is no gap between the Sumo's and the rear differential. I think this adds additional support for the rear and softens the downward travel. There was a pretty decent size gap with the factory bump stops and they didn't have much compression ability.

I went with the 1000lb (Blue) fronts and they also take up all of the gap that was present between the front differential and the factory bump stops.

I'd say the chassis "floats" now over bridge transitions and typical uneven surfaces versus the jolting you can get with the bumps stops made contact.

The stock tires are also going to contribute to a harsher ride but an upgraded shock package may also help.

After about 600 miles on the Sumo's I'm glad I installed them.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 979
THOR #12698
Judge
Glad to hear the good news. I installed them on my sprinter chassis last year and love how the handle on the road.


Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,334
THOR #6411
Since there are three types of Sumo springs, it might be helpful if you were to tell what type of spring you chose to install - Solo, Maxim or Rebel. Only the Maxims work to reduce extension.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Since there are three types of Sumo springs, it might be helpful if you were to tell what type of spring you chose to install - Solo, Maxim or Rebel. Only the Maxims work to reduce extension.

For our application the only ones shown to fit are Solo's, which are what Judge listed by P/N
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #56
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
Posts: 7
THOR #20132
Judge- just drove our first rv home - a magnitude bb35 from dealership - 6 hour trip to get home. A few issues -1- the sway was pretty bad so I am ordering the front sumos immediately then looking into rear and also upgraded sway bars if there is such a thing. Anyone have other suggestions to deal with the sway? 2- the ride - we feel every crack in the road. Hancock tires. I値l check tire pressure. What psi do most run in those tires? Anything out there that is reasonable to give us a smoother ride. 3- we left dealership after they 吐illed tanks full twice and assured me they were full even though gauge was just over qtr tank. They Told me to take it to a ford dealership to deal with the defective gauge. After 100 miles the gauge was certainly dropping and seemed to be working. We stopped and fueled up- front tank - put about 3 gallons only in - was full and overflowing. Rear tank - took the remaining $100 worth but VERY SLOWLY. couldn稚 go as fast as the first catch on the nozzle- so had to hold it slowly. Kicked off several times but did get it full. Seems to me to be a vent issue maybe. Any suggestions?
__________________
Mhisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhisle View Post
Judge- just drove our first rv home - a magnitude bb35 from dealership - 6 hour trip to get home. A few issues -1- the sway was pretty bad so I am ordering the front sumos immediately then looking into rear and also upgraded sway bars if there is such a thing. Anyone have other suggestions to deal with the sway? 2- the ride - we feel every crack in the road. Hancock tires. I値l check tire pressure. What psi do most run in those tires? Anything out there that is reasonable to give us a smoother ride. 3- we left dealership after they 吐illed tanks full twice and assured me they were full even though gauge was just over qtr tank. They Told me to take it to a ford dealership to deal with the defective gauge. After 100 miles the gauge was certainly dropping and seemed to be working. We stopped and fueled up- front tank - put about 3 gallons only in - was full and overflowing. Rear tank - took the remaining $100 worth but VERY SLOWLY. couldn稚 go as fast as the first catch on the nozzle- so had to hold it slowly. Kicked off several times but did get it full. Seems to me to be a vent issue maybe. Any suggestions?
Are you really feeling "sway", and not just the nature of the F550? They don't track like a car, and the 19.5 tires do follow every crack in the road...just the nature of the beast. You get use to minor steering corrections all the time, but I've never felt much I would classify as sway. I run cold at 100psi if it's going to be over 80 degrees while traveling, and 105 if it's cooler, so my target hot pressure is at max load rating around 115. It tracks better with higher pressure, but does ride hard. If you only made it 100 miles and the back tank was empty, they did not have it full...likely near empty. As you found out, there is a problem with venting on fuel fills or routing of the fill tubes, as I've had the same issues since new, but it's not a Ford issue, it's an installation or design issue from Thor. Also, look to see if the DEF fill tube is routed above the other wire/tubes on the frame where the input point to tank is, as liquid will not flow uphill...I found that one out on the road and you absolutely do not want to let a Ford go low on DEF. I had to reroute the tube in the middle of Montana last month!
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:14 AM   #58
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
Posts: 7
THOR #20132
Wish fuel was my biggest problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Are you really feeling "sway", and not just the nature of the F550? They don't track like a car, and the 19.5 tires do follow every crack in the road...just the nature of the beast. You get use to minor steering corrections all the time, but I've never felt much I would classify as sway. I run cold at 100psi if it's going to be over 80 degrees while traveling, and 105 if it's cooler, so my target hot pressure is at max load rating around 115. It tracks better with higher pressure, but does ride hard. If you only made it 100 miles and the back tank was empty, they did not have it full...likely near empty. As you found out, there is a problem with venting on fuel fills or routing of the fill tubes, as I've had the same issues since new, but it's not a Ford issue, it's an installation or design issue from Thor. Also, look to see if the DEF fill tube is routed above the other wire/tubes on the frame where the input point to tank is, as liquid will not flow uphill...I found that one out on the road and you absolutely do not want to let a Ford go low on DEF. I had to reroute the tube in the middle of Montana last month!
Well - the next day we decided to try things out in the rv - slide would not work. 8 blinking lights means wiring issue - take to dealership. Tech said it痴 a major placement issue with zero clearance between motor and slide- the new motor won稚 last and he feels it will need to go back to factory and remove slide all together etc. waiting on response from Thor on Monday. So my brand new magnitude will Likely need to go back to factory. They never showed us how the slide works during the walk thru which looking back was awful weird. Tech said it had obviously been worked on before. I wrote about this in another post too. I値l let u know how it all turns out.
__________________

__________________
Mhisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×