Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
Tuscany Everything

I understand there are not many Tuscany owners around but I thought I would start a Thread Tuscany Anything.....
I have a 40KQ and would like to share my repairs and upgrades with people here. I hope you will share yours.

=Mike and Cat

Old 04-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Hey, to get it started here goes

Changed the OEM batteries to Trojan T105 AGM which has worked out very well

Changing the OEM sealed chassis batteries next week, 6 years and getting a bit weak

Going back FLA since the OEM worked well

Nothing else in 6 years after the original fixes

Will likely replace the HVAC thermostat as the OP did
Old 04-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Except for plumbing and wiring positions, there just isn't much different on any motorhome.
Almost all mods and fixes are very very close to universal.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:34 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
well where do i start

most systems are common
but we have done both roof top units , one twice to heat pumps
one residential fridge (samsung)
new seating, new covers for driver and pass seats
new washer dryer thing
sleep number bed

new big tv
added cabinets in kitchen slide, very much needed
new chassis batteries 2x
new house batteries 2x

new water fixtures in bath, shower and kitchen
the list just goes and goes

Old 04-23-2022, 10:12 PM   #5

THOR #24608
Got my first scratch

Scratch ? Yep, big one. Making a left turn I misjudged a pickup on my left and we traded paint. about 9" on the water bay door and the top of the rear fender. On my mind for the last 200 miles of my trip home. The guy in the pickup was very nice as I had expected him to blast my head off. On the phone with insurance for about 5 min's and the claim was filed for both of us. What's my payment going up to i wonder.
The lesson I learned,,,, don't trust my eyes until i get them checked. I have been thinking about adding some cameras. Maybe one on each side and one on top looking forward, (low trees and such)

Powerboater, what went bad on your rooftops ? I had to replace all the plastic fans and hope I don't need to replace the units soon.
I got to use the new thermostat on the aquahot last night. Man that thang works good. The fans inside dont cycle near as much as the old thermo did. Still no news about them getting the Alexa app working with it yet..
off to learn more about the battery's lwmcguir is writing about

==Mike
Old 04-24-2022, 01:20 AM   #6

THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRJW95H...v_ov_lig_dp_it

If you're going to do cameras, these are the cameras to do.

The picture is my test bench test.
It's not on the rv yet.
I'm working on mount position/logistics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0226221549_HDR.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	37079  

Old 04-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRJW95H...v_ov_lig_dp_it

If you're going to do cameras, these are the cameras to do.

The picture is my test bench test.
It's not on the rv yet.
I'm working on mount position/logistics.
I would agree!

My 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 has this system and the camera views and picture quality is off the charts!

The ability to see 360 and overhead is a game changer. The rearview mirror has a camera mode and it provides a clear and wider field of vision than a regular mirror.

Same thing with the side mirrors when I'm towing and use a turn signal.

Technology is amazing!
Old 04-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #8

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Our Hyundai's have had this technology for years. Never use it on a small car though, but maybe if we lived in the city.
Would be great backing into a campsite.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #9

THOR #24608
Always great advice

Those do look good. I'm going to wait until you get yours mounted and wait for your update on how and where you mounted them before I do. I'm thinking about using a drop down mount under the top overhead next to the fans and a good LED screen. Something I can move up out of the field of vision to the windshield. Wiring should not be a problem behind the pillar cover on the left of the windshield. Power I'm not so Shure about yet.
Received the quote on the scratch repair. 21 hundred and that I feel is a bit high. They show replacing the left dock light and it has no damage. They have me taking it over 120 miles for the repairs. Sure hope they let me stay in the rv while it's repaired .
On this last trip the door would make a rubber squeak noise like it wasn't shut all the way. I plan to clean the seal and rub some rubber conditioner on it. If anyone has better advice, let me know. It gets loud and drives me batty.
==Mike
Old 04-24-2022, 03:32 PM   #10

THOR #13932
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=78

Post 78 in my signature build thread(link is in my signature) shows two foldable 10' monitors mounted to the ceiling/bed bottom.

My camera mounts will be different than anyone else due to my vehicle lift and mine is a 24.1. I might mount it so I can see under the vehicle a bit, and no one else will want such a thing.
Most of my mods translate well to all ither RV types and sizes.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Medicine cabinet in half bath - 2016 Thor Tuscany 45AT.

Whenever we moved from one site to another we always forgot that lots of stuff would fall out of this medicine cabinet the first time the doors were opened at the new location.

We didn't always remember to have the toilet seat down when we opened the cabinet for the first time (Sploosh! Ick!!).

So, after cursing about the problem for five plus years, we finally devised a solution!

My trusty co-pilot (aka my beautiful wife) found some stretchy, see through fabric (she is an admitted fabri-holic) during one of her shopping expeditions.

I then came up with a mounting design that employed a bungee cord and a round sash rod to create a "safety net" that would prevent tall heavy items from falling out of the medicine cabinet.

There are two shelves in the cabinet so we fabricated two safety nets and installed them in a couple of hours.

I have included some photographs to show what the safety nets look like, and how the mounting was performed.

The sash rod mounting plates had to be modified so the rods would fit over the "spikes" in an orientation 90 degrees from "normal" . This involved the use of a Dremel Tool with a carbide grinding bit, along with a modeler's clamp to hold the plate while grinding. The whole procedure probably took 10 minutes to do four mounting plates. The amount of metal removed was minimal, just enough so the end of the rod would easily slip over the spike.

Now we will begin looking for another modification that will make our lives easier. You know there is always going to be something on your motorhome that annoys you! It's only a matter of time until you decide what needs fixin' next!Click image for larger version

Name:	20220426_150344.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	37136Click image for larger version

Name:	20220426_150440.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	37137Click image for larger version

Name:	20220426_150407.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	37138Click image for larger version

Name:	20220426_150357.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	37139
Old 04-26-2022, 08:54 PM   #12

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
Medicine cabinet in half bath - 2016 Thor Tuscany 45AT.

Whenever we moved from one site to another we always forgot that lots of stuff would fall out of this medicine cabinet the first time the doors were opened at the new location.

We didn't always remember to have the toilet seat down when we opened the cabinet for the first time (Sploosh! Ick!!).

So, after cursing about the problem for five plus years, we finally devised a solution!

My trusty co-pilot (aka my beautiful wife) found some stretchy, see through fabric (she is an admitted fabri-holic) during one of her shopping expeditions.

I then came up with a mounting design that employed a bungee cord and a round sash rod to create a "safety net" that would prevent tall heavy items from falling out of the medicine cabinet.

There are two shelves in the cabinet so we fabricated two safety nets and installed them in a couple of hours.

I have included some photographs to show what the safety nets look like, and how the mounting was performed.

The sash rod mounting plates had to be modified so the rods would fit over the "spikes" in an orientation 90 degrees from "normal" . This involved the use of a Dremel Tool with a carbide grinding bit, along with a modeler's clamp to hold the plate while grinding. The whole procedure probably took 10 minutes to do four mounting plates. The amount of metal removed was minimal, just enough so the end of the rod would easily slip over the spike.

Now we will begin looking for another modification that will make our lives easier. You know there is always going to be something on your motorhome that annoys you! It's only a matter of time until you decide what needs fixin' next!Attachment 37136Attachment 37137Attachment 37138Attachment 37139
Nice fix, will copy that as we have the same 1/2 bath and same falling over for tall items
Old 04-27-2022, 02:19 AM   #13

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
in our tuscany bath my wife tightened the catch and put in window blind spring rods and then little baskets to hold our junk
she attached them to the wall
i will try to snap a pic

i like the net thing you got there
Old 04-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #14

THOR #9178
[QUOTE=powerboatr;343959]in our tuscany bath my wife tightened the catch and put in window blind spring rods and then little baskets to hold our junk
she attached them to the wall
i will try to snap a pic

Sounds like a good fix as well
Old 04-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #13289
Tuscany

First rv was a Tuscany 40at now have a 2019 Tuscany 45 mx bought new and love it ! Few issues and all taken care of.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #16

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgriff View Post
First rv was a Tuscany 40at now have a 2019 Tuscany 45 mx bought new and love it ! Few issues and all taken care of.
They are very nice coaches and finished out very well
Old 04-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #17

THOR #9178
Has anyone found a good stainless steel cup holder replacement for the theater seat? Ours have rusty spots from condensation and appear to have been carbon steel or very low-grade SS

I have noted several on eBay and Amazon, but they don't seem to be quite a direct replacement
Old 04-28-2022, 12:17 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #13916
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
I understand there are not many Tuscany owners around but I thought I would start a Thread Tuscany Anything.....
I have a 40KQ and would like to share my repairs and upgrades with people here. I hope you will share yours.

=Mike and Cat
We have a 2017 Tuscany 42gx. You should attend some Thor diesel club rallies. You will meet quite a few Tuscany owners. Btw the south eastern fall rally will be at Stone Mountain park campground in October 17-21 2022. Pm me for more details. Thanks
Old 04-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #19

THOR #24608
Busy busy retirement ?? UGH

No that I'm home, I have tools to do the fixes and mods I have thought about while laying in the hammock the past 5 months. (lol)
I am still studying the solar prewiring (orange/white) that is in the right rear bin, (Bird, trombetta, inverter etc) I have a MPPT controller not mounted yet but thinking to put in that bin and just drop the PV jack under. I have cleaned up thor's wire and have a place near the exhaust fan. I added two fans near the inverter. I have two items rear of the trombetta and in front of the BIRD that I don't know what they are. I have been told they are part of the solar prewire. No part numbers or ID on them to lookup.
I still have repairs I feel the original owner started or the factory didn't do and will probably find them as the time goes on. (gps puck rolled up and stuffed under the dash, radio antenna not plugged in, Kitchen drain pipe going uphill, skinned wires under the bed from extending the bed slide)
Attending a rally sounds great. This October (burr) I have a wedding to attend in Yellow Stone. Most all RV parks are closed on the 1st so its hotels and car for that trip.
I have been thinking about the NET idea and I do like what was posted here. I'll be adding that to my list. (tired of getting hit by things when opening doors)
Thanks for all the posts !
==Mike
Old 04-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #20

THOR #24608
What are these

Here is a picture of what I am not sure of what they are or how there wired. Is it a part of the pre wire solar ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed1.jpg
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	37173  

Tags
thor tuscany, tuscany mods, tuscany upgrades