Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: California
THOR #22456
Different generators in 2022 29M Hurricanes

I wanted to get opinions on the new generators they're equipping the 29M and 31C with. I am considering the new 29M with the 2 a/cs but I see they've downgraded from the previous Onan 5500 to the 4000. I am wondering how that will impact the functionality of running 2 air conditioners. Did the 5500 run both at the same time and now this wont or is this a non issue?

Old 01-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Have you seen these MHs on the lot with 2 A/Cs installed and a 4 KW generator?

A single A/C motorhome has a 30 amp electrical system and a 4 KW generator.

Two A/Cs is an optional upgrade, but to run 2 A/Cs (unless they are the smaller, power saving units) requires a 50 amp electrical system and a 5.5 KW generator - hence the large price for that second A/C factory upgrade.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #3

THOR #22456
yes, I found 2 a/cs and the 4000 generator on a Windsport and 2 Hurricanes.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
On mid-size motorhomes like the 29M, a few manufacturers have installed two 11,000 BTU/hour Power Saver air conditioners that pull just above 1,000 Watts each, so they can operate at same time from 4,000-Watt generator. They do require a load shedding system so that if you turn on the microwave or high-power hair dryer at same time, it will shut down one air conditioner for a few minutes until other electrical loads are finished.

Technology is improving quickly, so it’s hard to say what else they are including in dual-A/C package. I’d ask for air conditioner model since new 13,500 BTU/hr can also pull just over 1,000 Watts and can have soft start from factory (that would make it easier on generator).

Running two energy-efficient A/C on 4,000-Watt generator is to save initial cost, save weight, and reduce generator fuel consumption. I’m sure some buyers will prefer larger 5,500-Watt generator, but Thor specs don’t even show that as an option. It seems there is no choice but Onan 4000.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #5

THOR #22456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
On mid-size motorhomes like the 29M, a few manufacturers have installed two 11,000 BTU/hour Power Saver air conditioners that pull just above 1,000 Watts each, so they can operate at same time from 4,000-Watt generator. They do require a load shedding system so that if you turn on the microwave or high-power hair dryer at same time, it will shut down one air conditioner for a few minutes until other electrical loads are finished.

Technology is improving quickly, so it’s hard to say what else they are including in dual-A/C package. I’d ask for air conditioner model since new 13,500 BTU/hr can also pull just over 1,000 Watts and can have soft start from factory (that would make it easier on generator).

Running two energy-efficient A/C on 4,000-Watt generator is to save initial cost, save weight, and reduce generator fuel consumption. I’m sure some buyers will prefer larger 5,500-Watt generator, but Thor specs don’t even show that as an option. It seems there is no choice but Onan 4000.
This is good information and even better, I actually understand it. I will go back and do some research on those A/Cs
Old 01-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think its an availability issue...they cant get the 5500's so they install the 4000 instead...or...they added the 2nd A/C after manufacture. I wouldn't by a MH that big without the 5500. I can run everything in mine (both 15 A/C's, microwave and the coffeepot) at the same time...it wouldn't do it with a 4000.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:01 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Manufacturers started installing dual A/Cs powered by 4,000-Watt Onan generators a few years ago and before supply chain shortages. Do a forum search and you’ll find multiple references dating back before Covid.

P.S. — First reference I recall was in early 2017, when Jayco did it on mid-size motorhomes. Hard to believe that was 5 years ago.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:55 AM   #8

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
We upgraded to the THOR 30.4 in Nov 2020, i am so glad i got the last of the 30.4 line! 50 amp service 2 AC units and the Onan RV QG 5500 Gas Generator.

This RV runs both AC units, with everything else running, no problem. Quiet, smooth running, quick start......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-25_20-54-48.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	35817  
Old 01-26-2022, 02:08 AM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I am pretty sure it will not impact running both AC's as it was built that way, but I would find out who makes the Energy Management System and fins out how it works.

I think the impact will ultimately be that you can run everything like normal at the same time. I tried to get a RV mfg to install a 2nd AC 11000 BTUs into an existing new RV with one 15000 BTU Onan 4000 and they would NOT touch it.

I eventually bought a unit with 5500 and two 13,500s. I need every bit of it too. Also from what I read the Onan 5500 are a lot quieter than Onan 4000

But you seem to have no choice. If it were me, 2 ACs is 2 ACs and if both work you good as gold. I am sure Thor knew what they were doing so I would not sweat it too much. With that said, I would HAVE to be in one on an extremely hot day and run both both ACs to see how it took to cool down with Slide out. I have been in brand new units that never cooled down and it was only 95* outside
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:16 AM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
We upgraded to the THOR 30.4 in Nov 2020, i am so glad i got the last of the 30.4 line! 50 amp service 2 AC units and the Onan RV QG 5500 Gas Generator.

This RV runs both AC units, with everything else running, no problem. Quiet, smooth running, quick start......
We have same Onan 5500 and you rae EXACTLY right.. "Runs both AC units, with everything else running, no problem. Quiet, smooth running, quick start......" I have never had to prime and only time I even notice the genny was before we bought the AGM batteries. The AGS use to start every morning at 7:00 AM and we could feel the vibration (no noise) while in bed. Now the genny is mainly used as we need something through out the day.

But if OP likes the 29M or similar model, I wouldn't hesitate to buy because there may be no other options
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:17 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
The 13.5k units on my 29M struggle to cool our coach on a summers day. There is no way Thor would be dumb enough to install two 11k A/C units that could be powered by a 4000 watt genset on this coach.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:11 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The 13.5k units on my 29M struggle to cool our coach on a summers day. There is no way Thor would be dumb enough to install two 11k A/C units that could be powered by a 4000 watt genset on this coach.

You must be underestimating dumbness then because the standard is a single air conditioner. At 15,000 BTU/hr, that’s not much for a motorhome 31 feet long.

While 22,000 BTU/hr may not sound like enough for a 31-foot Class A, it’s more cooling capacity for its size than the typical and very common +/- 25-foot motorhome with a single 15,000 BTU/hr A/C.

I agree with you that when parked in sun in summer in middle of day on a 100 F humid day, most RVs could use more air conditioning capacity.

Thor specs below are a little confusing because they have redundant dual air conditioner lines, and 31C specs are not what is normal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3942C29F-E99B-4D4C-8EE1-59A61F99FDEB.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	35818  
Old 01-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #13

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
We have a 32 foot Quantum JM31 with the two 11,000 BTU air conditioners, Onan 4000 generator, and the Precision Circuits Energy Management System. The generator runs both AC's at the same time but we have only done that for a few minutes when stopping in the summer at a Walmart, etc. It cools down in a hurry and we end up cutting back after a few minutes. When traveling we have not found the need to run the AC's as the dash system will freeze you to death. It was a different story when we had a 40 foot diesel pusher Class A. Unless it was the dead of winter we were always driving with the generator and both AC units running. The dash system in that Class A was almost worthless and the large windshield was like a furnace in the summer and the bedroom was being toasted by the Cummins ISL engine. So there are some advantages to owning a Class C.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
We have a '22 29M, and have a 4K gen and the stock single AC. We are thinking about adding the second AC with its own breaker, electrical cord / connector in the bedroom for those really hot days and nights at the campsite. This would not go on generator and would bypass the elec panel.

We haven't had the RV long.. so I'm hoping that while driving that the dash ac and single ac are enough if we close the bathroom and bedroom doors to reduce area.
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

Thor specs below are a little confusing because they have redundant dual air conditioner lines, and 31C specs are not what is normal.

Specs in picture above with two different lines for “Dual Roof Air Conditioners” are obviously wrong, but if combined, they probably meant that it’s optional for 29M and standard for all others, including 31C. Should be simple mistake and confirmed by fact that 29M is only floor plan that offers a single air conditioner.

However, what is very interesting, unless it’s also a typo or mistake, is that on 31C Thor specs specifically state the 31C has a 4,000-Watt Onan generator but also a 50-Amp Detachable Shoreline Power Cord.

If correct, that is the first time I have seen a manufacturer combine 50-Amp service with a 4,000-Watt generator. Again, if correct, it makes a lot of sense to me for various reasons, and would give Thor credit for efficient engineering.

The advantage of smaller generator is lower weight, less cost, and fuel efficiency, so you get that anyway. But for very little added cost and weight, upgrading motorhome from 30-Amp to 50-Amp (50A cord plus larger panel which doesn’t add much cost or weight) would allow using both A/Cs and everything else while on shore power at campgrounds, and that’s where most campers get their power, not from generators.

For the (relatively) few times generators get used, like battery charging or powering one A/C at night for sleeping, a 4,000-Watt is more fuel efficient. And if you have to power both A/Cs due to heat, it still works with minor inconvenience.

I hope it’s not a typo because 50A electrical service would be a low-cost upgrade if done from factory (maybe < $200) that adds a lot of value while on shore power.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Specs in picture above with two different lines for “Dual Roof Air Conditioners” are obviously wrong, but if combined, they probably meant that it’s optional for 29M and standard for all others, including 31C. Should be simple mistake and confirmed by fact that 29M is only floor plan that offers a single air conditioner.

However, what is very interesting, unless it’s also a typo or mistake, is that on 31C Thor specs specifically state the 31C has a 4,000-Watt Onan generator but also a 50-Amp Detachable Shoreline Power Cord.

If correct, that is the first time I have seen a manufacturer combine 50-Amp service with a 4,000-Watt generator. Again, if correct, it makes a lot of sense to me for various reasons, and would give Thor credit for efficient engineering.

The advantage of smaller generator is lower weight, less cost, and fuel efficiency, so you get that anyway. But for very little added cost and weight, upgrading motorhome from 30-Amp to 50-Amp (50A cord plus larger panel which doesn’t add much cost or weight) would allow using both A/Cs and everything else while on shore power at campgrounds, and that’s where most campers get their power, not from generators.

For the (relatively) few times generators get used, like battery charging or powering one A/C at night for sleeping, a 4,000-Watt is more fuel efficient. And if you have to power both A/Cs due to heat, it still works with minor inconvenience.

I hope it’s not a typo because 50A electrical service would be a low-cost upgrade if done from factory (maybe < $200) that adds a lot of value while on shore power.

MHSRV has the 29M and 31C Hurricanes in stock. Both have dual A/Cs. I did not check, but I suspect they have the 11,000 BTU A/Cs. I have a Hurricane 31S with 50 amps service and a Onan KY 4000 watt generator. The A/C are the Coleman Mach 15 up front and a Coleman 13.500 BTU Mach 8 heat pump in the bedroom. The total load with both A/Cs running is 31 amps. I have never found the need to run both A/Cs when on the road; and since we do not dry camp when the temps are above 85 degrees, the 33 amps output of the KY is sufficient for our needs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
MHSRV has the 29M and 31C Hurricanes in stock. Both have dual A/Cs. I did not check, but I suspect they have the 11,000 BTU A/Cs. I have a Hurricane 31S with 50 amps service and a Onan KY 4000 watt generator. The A/C are the Coleman Mach 15 up front and a Coleman 13.500 BTU Mach 8 heat pump in the bedroom. The total load with both A/Cs running is 31 amps. I have never found the need to run both A/Cs when on the road; and since we do not dry camp when the temps are above 85 degrees, the 33 amps output of the KY is sufficient for our needs.
Interesting. Was that Onan KY 4000 and 50-Amp electrical service from factory? Or did you upgrade from 30A yourself?

MHSRV has one Hurricane 31C in stock where I can view the window sticker and it states an Onan 5500. A General RV dealer has another 31C unit and list specs as Onan 4000 and 50-Amp service. The Thor Hurricane Brochure (2 page pdf) states that 29M has dual roof air conditioner option with 50-Amp detachable power cord. Data is all over the place and needs revision for clarity. It appears Thor is combining Onan 4000 with 50-Amp service on some coaches.

Considering how many owners on this forum haul smaller portable generators to save fuel (like Honda 2000 or 2200) instead of running an Onan 5500, it makes sense an Onan 4000 may be a good choice much of the time. When only charging batteries or powering a single air conditioner, a 5500 is so oversized that it becomes inefficient in fuel consumption.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BBED28DA-68CC-46BF-A669-931F8D22483A.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	35823  
Old 01-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I still have a hard time understanding why any class a doesn't have dual 15K units as a minimum install. When I had a 25 foot class c, a 15k unit would only cool the camper in the summer time. All class a coaches should have dual 15k units as original equipment. If either of my rooftops go out, I will look at replacing them with upgraded units.

I do understand that Thor is a business and businesses have to do what it takes during these uncertain supply times, but to downgrade OEM installed items while charging increased MSRP seems like robbery.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:25 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffstoe View Post
I wanted to get opinions on the new generators they're equipping the 29M and 31C with. I am considering the new 29M with the 2 a/cs but I see they've downgraded from the previous Onan 5500 to the 4000. I am wondering how that will impact the functionality of running 2 air conditioners. Did the 5500 run both at the same time and now this wont or is this a non issue?

like 5 or 6 amp difference between the two. you can add slow start caps on the rigs AC units and you be fine with 4k unit.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #20

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Agree, this is probably a cost item for THOR, the 50 Amp cable alone is a few hundred dollars, I went on an looked at the same model i have, and yes, it had the 4000 Watt unit and 30 amp service. I was quite surprised.

I am starting the running the Gen while driving with dual AC running. This with the FORD AC, it gets comfortable in there now. i am concerned with fuel consumption, so this is only on hot days driving thru FL. ....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-01-26_14-04-37.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	35824  

Tags
2022 hurricane, air conditioner, generator, hurricane 29m