Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
Posts: 24
THOR #3852
Ford V10 "service engine soon" light on at 1300 miles?

This is our first extended trip in the 2016 Thor Challenger 36 TL. The service engine soon emblem came on at about 1300 miles. I drove another 100 miles or so past that mark to an RV park for the night. All fluid levels are fine and the engine is performing without any issues. A quick search came with a bunch of hits on this issue but no real problems identified. Anyone have experience with this? I have another 1700 miles before this trip is done.
__________________

__________________
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,391
THOR #1765
If you have a ScanGuage you can query the engine computer and it will give you the code of why the light came on. You can then google the code and there are several sites that will tell you what it involves. In most new engines it is no more than an oxygen sensor (or some similar sensor) that went off. The ScanGuage will let you zero out the code, which will turn off the engine light. If it happens multiple times, of course, you should take it to the dealer. I had the same thing happen in my 2016 Axis with 1500 miles on it. I zeroed out the code and it has not happened again in 500 miles. I'll bet someone in the RV park has a ScanGuage. If not, you could stop at any repair shop and they will query and reset the computer for you and probably charge you $100. I don't know if AAA would do that or if the FORD road side assistance might do it for you - but it might be worth a try.
__________________

__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Florida
Posts: 76
THOR #698
You can pull into any AutoZone, NAPA, ETC and they will scan it and give you a code for free.

Just be careful that you have a place to turn around especially if your have a TOAD.
__________________
Ed-Helen pns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,959
THOR #1150
Note that the check engine light only lights up for emissions related failures.

Check that your gas cap is on tight.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
Posts: 24
THOR #3852
Thanks all. I called Ford and they found a local dealer in Fayetteville that would check it for me in the morning. The Roadside assistance doesn't help out with this type of issue. Should be an adventure...wife will have the Lab and cat in her Cherokee while I take the coach to dealer. Hopefully it's a quick fix and we'll continue on to Columbia, SC. I'll definitely be getting one of those code scan devices!
__________________
2016 Thor Challenger 36 TL
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #6
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 58
THOR #1505
Most likely the gas cap is not on tight or dirty. You have too few miles for the O2 sensor.
__________________
2015 Challenger KT : 2015 Jeep Patroit toad
Night Glamping:
2018 (40), 2017 (46), 2016 (46), 2015 (42), 2014 (36), 2013 (63), 2012 (57), 2011 (53)
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,391
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
Most likely the gas cap is not on tight or dirty. You have too few miles for the O2 sensor.
Not necessarily. I have had several spurious O2 sensor readings in two different V-10s, both the second day after a fill up. In both cases it only happened once. Those sensors can sometimes be sensitive.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:47 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
Posts: 24
THOR #3852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Not necessarily. I have had several spurious O2 sensor readings in two different V-10s, both the second day after a fill up. In both cases it only happened once. Those sensors can sometimes be sensitive.
Mine came on about 100 miles after a fill up. I'll report the results tomorrow.
__________________
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
Posts: 186
THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you have a ScanGuage you can query the engine computer and it will give you the code of why the light came on. You can then google the code and there are several sites that will tell you what it involves. In most new engines it is no more than an oxygen sensor (or some similar sensor) that went off. The ScanGuage will let you zero out the code, which will turn off the engine light. If it happens multiple times, of course, you should take it to the dealer. I had the same thing happen in my 2016 Axis with 1500 miles on it. I zeroed out the code and it has not happened again in 500 miles. I'll bet someone in the RV park has a ScanGuage. If not, you could stop at any repair shop and they will query and reset the computer for you and probably charge you $100. I don't know if AAA would do that or if the FORD road side assistance might do it for you - but it might be worth a try.
When and what location will you be at? I might stop by to introduce myself.
__________________
Have a good one

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
Posts: 24
THOR #3852
Spent a couple of hours at Crown Ford this morning. The code indicated a misfire on #2 cylinder and also a random misfire but all is in order. They updated the PCM software and we were back on the road. After about 200 miles today no more lights so maybe just a hiccup.
__________________
2016 Thor Challenger 36 TL
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 58
THOR #1505
Glad your back on the road. "Happy Travels"
__________________

__________________
2015 Challenger KT : 2015 Jeep Patroit toad
Night Glamping:
2018 (40), 2017 (46), 2016 (46), 2015 (42), 2014 (36), 2013 (63), 2012 (57), 2011 (53)
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×