Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2022, 02:54 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That's the equivalent of the person planning to buy a new front load washer at about $1,050 and then when they get ready to go to Home Depot to buy; they learn that it is going to cost $1,350. Not good; but if you got plenty money; nothing to worry about; otherwise sitting tight with the old washer suddenly not that bad an option either for those that have the luxury or wherewithal to be able to wait.

You are right - it’s not just gas. I had to buy a set of car tires this week. Small ones, at that, and it still ran me over $600 to get out of the store. And we bought a mid level dishwasher for over $1,000. This IS nuts. My 2019 Newmar cost $94,000 new. Saw the same model is now advertised at $160,000!

Old 03-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #42

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
No Americans don't forget.
Most in major cities don't drive.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My Salesman told me it was just like driving my SUV if not cheaper. I would save money on hotels, and highway restaurant costs. With a Ford Chassis; I could basically get the RV Serviced in any City that had a Ford Dealership but maintenance or repairs would essentially be non existent because they inspect every RV before they leave the Mfg's lot, and again upon check in at the dealership and again before they allow the customer to do a PDI walkthrough would It was a no lose proposition until this gas thingy got in the way ...
...And with all the money you save: you can now afford to take that cruise around the World...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:11 AM   #44

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Update.. March 1st, Fly-J/Pilot South End of Ocala, FL diesel was $4.19, now March 3rd. $4.59.. Gas is now $3.89
UPDATE! 10 am March 4, now $4.79. Will be over $5 soon. Just signed up for a program called "Mudflap" for Truck Stop fuel discounts.. We shall see..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:22 AM   #45
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Gas ripoff

The cheapest gas in Toronto Ontario on GasBuddy is $1.609/L. There are four US gal in one L so multiply 1.609 X4=$6.436/gal and it's supposed to go up another 6 cents this weekend. Just got back from Florida a week ago and paid around $3.49/gal, miss those days already.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:28 AM   #46

THOR #20220
Nice

Mudlfap Logo
Get instant discounts up to 50¢/gal at hundreds of independent fuel stops.
All you need is the free Mudflap app! It's ready-to-use with your credit or debit card. No fuel card, no fees, no hassles.
Start saving up to 50¢/gal
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 03-05-2022, 02:51 AM   #47
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Nice

Mudlfap Logo
Get instant discounts up to 50¢/gal at hundreds of independent fuel stops.
All you need is the free Mudflap app! It's ready-to-use with your credit or debit card. No fuel card, no fees, no hassles.
Start saving up to 50¢/gal
It’s a diesel trucker app.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:08 AM   #48

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Filled up today at $3.499 in Houston. Thus far around here I don’t see fewer vehicles on roads, so people still getting out.

Cost of fuel is still a small part of traveling to places we visit locally on regular basis. It would probably take a long trip of 1,000+ miles to make a significant difference to point I would consider cancelling or delaying trip for now.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #49
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
If Russia hits 1 inch of land in Europe or Poland
We will hit $5 plus..
The oil industry loves what is happening!
So do the environ(mental) Wacko Dems.
Watch out when they say they are all for not buy oil from russia. They say nothing about opening up the fields in the USA, or reinstating the pipeline. The higher is goes the better they like it.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #50

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
So do the environ(mental) Wacko Dems.
Watch out when they say they are all for not buy oil from russia. They say nothing about opening up the fields in the USA, or reinstating the pipeline. The higher is goes the better they like it.
Correct. Both parties all 535 in power over really 9 billion love this
Old 03-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #51

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Filled up today at $3.499 in Houston. Thus far around here I don’t see fewer vehicles on roads, so people still getting out.

Cost of fuel is still a small part of traveling to places we visit locally on regular basis. It would probably take a long trip of 1,000+ miles to make a significant difference to point I would consider cancelling or delaying trip for now.
Life is short. Do not cancel limit..enjoy ..save other wasteful placed if needed..stay camping
Old 03-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #52

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
The cheapest gas in Toronto Ontario on GasBuddy is $1.609/L. There are four US gal in one L so multiply 1.609 X4=$6.436/gal and it's supposed to go up another 6 cents this weekend. Just got back from Florida a week ago and paid around $3.49/gal, miss those days already.
3.785 liters in a us gallon but yes, always sticker shock in Canada
Old 03-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #53

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Fuel cost alone are going to hit most folks budget

The cumulative effects on everything you buy is what will drive inflation home to folks of all size budgets

With hundreds of coal plants off line and many gas plants off or moth balled, Diesel is now the backup or peaking fuel

Solar and wind farms are about 35% available

Most all of your food and goods are dependent on Diesel fuel

2008-2009 was already noted, see anything similar going on?
Old 03-05-2022, 02:45 PM   #54

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Life is short. Do not cancel limit..enjoy ..save other wasteful placed if needed..stay camping

Just making the point that for everyday travel “for us”, higher fuel cost is not a problem yet.

Example: If we drive a couple of miles to grocery store or out to dinner, the amount of fuel we use is essentially a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on groceries or eating out. Even when driving a much longer distance to see Houston Rodeo and concert a few days ago, gas was only about 10% of total costs.

If gas has to go up quite a bit in name of humanity, I’ll do my part and not complain. Granted, it’s not that simple because if we all reduce our driving to conserve fuel too much, it will affect businesses and the economy in other ways as well. Having said that, we can plan ahead and make one trip to store in place of two, etc.

Conserving fuel when we can will also help keep costs from going as high.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #55

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just making the point that for everyday travel “for us”, higher fuel cost is not a problem yet.

Example: If we drive a couple of miles to grocery store or out to dinner, the amount of fuel we use is essentially a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on groceries or eating out. Even when driving a much longer distance to see Houston Rodeo and concert a few days ago, gas was only about 10% of total costs.

----- If gas has to go up quite a bit in name of humanity, I’ll do my part and not complain.------

Granted, it’s not that simple because if we all reduce our driving to conserve fuel too much, it will affect businesses and the economy in other ways as well. Having said that, we can plan ahead and make one trip to store in place of two, etc.
Conserving fuel when we can will also help keep costs from going as high.
Thanks for that Chance.
Every day we see horrible images of people's lives being torn apart by a megalomaniac's unprovoked war. The people of Ukraine are fighting for their very existence. Makes the fuel cost of our next trip seem small by comparison.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:47 PM   #56

State: Washington
THOR #6433
If you can afford to take your trips you should. Fuel tends to be one of the cheaper things really when traveling, epically if you have kids. If you chose to not use your RV you will be paying for a motel. How did you get there either by car or plane so it’s kind of a right pocket left pocket deal.

That being said living on the west coast gas prices will be 5.00 bucks a gallon soon. If you are an investor and have energy stocks then you love this. And energy companies really won’t doing anything until then have to. You could open up all the land in the US for production/ start building keystone and they won’t change their prices.

I am not a green freak but the oil companies are like our drug dealer if they are the only place to get your high from they control the market and the price. And if you are addicted you have no choice. But in the end they are only out for themselves. Keeping you just alive enough to keep coming back for that next purchase/

Kind of pissed at the government instead of giving all the PPP dollars away they should had been hedging. They knew gas wasn’t going to stay under 2.00 forever. Should had spent 2 trillion of that money on oil, and could now sell it for twice the amount. Great way to tackle the national debt
Old 03-05-2022, 05:52 PM   #57

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
$5.00 soon, heck, regular gas today is $5.59 and diesel is $6.09.
Welcome to California
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #58

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
$5.00 soon, heck, regular gas today is $5.59 and diesel is $6.09.
Welcome to California
Terry
Haha didn’t forget about California, just didn’t think my brain would let me type a number higher then 5.00
Old 03-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #59

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
I totally agree.
Was a shock to my senses when I went out.
Wow, Am I still in isolation or dreaming, I need to get out more often.
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #60

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
North Florida and we just got into the $3.60s yesterday off the interstate. Next to the interstate is approaching $3.90. Recently we've been cheaper than the rest of the state so expect higher prices as you go south.
$3.99 as of yesterday and no end in sight.