Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
Just a heads up on 2020 RVs

Just wanted to pass on what our dealer shared with me when we had our RV in for servicing the other day. He said he wouldn't buy anything made in 2020 after the manufactures started back up. They've had to send a lot of units back to the factory. One unit came in with the stove just setting on the floor. After the factories started back up some workers just didn't come back and other ones went to other manufactures. So they're low on experienced employees and having to train new ones. Another fall out from the pandemic. This post is not for further discussion of current state of affairs or opinions. I just wanted people who maybe thinking of buying 2020 new now to maybe think about it. Save travels everyone

Old 08-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
When I was in Wakarusa, they had hundreds of shells sitting and waiting on all the internals supplied by Lippert and other vendors. Virtually every piece, besides the walls and floor, comes from an outside vendor, and when the Covid hit their factories it all went to heck. I would be leary of what's coming out of there.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:58 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about the 2021 models?
Old 08-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Just a heads up on 2020 RVs

That’s not an accurate statement. My 2020 Magnitude was made in April 2019. It was not manufactured in 2020.

The RV industry model year is one year ahead of the calendar year for the most part.

The 2021’s are coming off the line in 2020 so that statement would apply to the 2021 model year units..... not units labeled as 2020 models.

I’m not surprised. The only people less educated about the industry than an RV Sales Rep is the first time RV buyer.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

I’m not surprised. The only people less educated about the industry than an RV Sales Rep is the first time RV buyer.
Thanks.
I thought I might have to break the news concerning the weight to put on anything anyone on the ground at a dealership has to say about the industry.

We can't use them as the voice of authority in one post and call them the stupidest floater in the bowl the next. We swap them from godlike to godless as it's convenient to the stance de jour.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:03 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How about the 2021 models?

Yep, it would be the '21's I'd be concerned about. Mine is a '20 of course, but built mid '19.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Perhaps I'll wait to move up in the 2022 model year.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:38 AM   #8

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
Just wanted to pass on what our dealer shared with me when we had our RV in for servicing the other day. He said he wouldn't buy anything made in 2020 after the manufactures started back up. They've had to send a lot of units back to the factory. One unit came in with the stove just setting on the floor. After the factories started back up some workers just didn't come back and other ones went to other manufactures. So they're low on experienced employees and having to train new ones. Another fall out from the pandemic. This post is not for further discussion of current state of affairs or opinions. I just wanted people who maybe thinking of buying 2020 new now to maybe think about it. Save travels everyone
On one hand if you were to believe some of the harsh criticisms directed to Thor and other Mfgs, one would think it to be a good thing if they had to replace so called experienced employees? On another hand, why would dealers even accept units to drive back to their dealerships if they have obvious problems like stoves on the floor. Those RV drivers do a basic inspection inside and outside before they accept the keys to drive it.

Even if this all were true and units really were produced with worse quality, the consumer that buys a new 2021 model should be just as assured as anyone else if they conduct a proper PDI.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Perhaps I'll wait to move up in the 2022 model year.
Limited to a 30 amp service model I presume...
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-15-2020, 12:48 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That’s not an accurate statement. My 2020 Magnitude was made in April 2019. It was not manufactured in 2020.

The RV industry model year is one year ahead of the calendar year for the most part.

The 2021’s are coming off the line in 2020 so that statement would apply to the 2021 model year units..... not units labeled as 2020 models.

That’s why the OP commented on units built in 2020 after the start up. Not MY2020.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
... Those RV drivers do a basic inspection inside and outside before they accept the keys to drive it...

I think you have a misconception of the RV transport industry, as 'drivers' are not in the business of being concerned with the condition of the RV they have been assigned, but only to get it to it's destination - it's up to the FACTORY to get things right from the beginning, and the DEALER to make the factory aware of anything 'unacceptable' when it arrives. The driver is simply a delivery person, not the cook, not concerned with the 'taste' of the food, or how it's packaged - only to deliver it.

Most any trailer picked up for delivery would not even have it's door opened, but only hitched to and delivered.
Most any Motorhome is basically the same, as long as the RV is 'driveable' to it's destination - the interior 'work' is not the driver's responsibility. QC is solely in the hands of the factory. Any transport company of driver is only there to make the delivery happen. Drivers let the factory and dealers iron out any details.

and, by the way, the 'accept' the paperwork and keys before they even see it!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:06 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Covid has very little to do with the poor quality of RVs manufactured in America. The industry was producing crap before the virus ever left China.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:34 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Limited to a 30 amp service model I presume...
You betcha!
We're looking at a Tiffin Allehro Breeze 31 BR
Old 08-15-2020, 01:39 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
You betcha!
Already? The plastic isn't off of the latest one?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:44 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I think you have a misconception of the RV transport industry, as 'drivers' are not in the business of being concerned with the condition of the RV they have been assigned, but only to get it to it's destination - it's up to the FACTORY to get things right from the beginning, and the DEALER to make the factory aware of anything 'unacceptable' when it arrives. The driver is simply a delivery person, not the cook, not concerned with the 'taste' of the food, or how it's packaged - only to deliver it.

Most any trailer picked up for delivery would not even have it's door opened, but only hitched to and delivered.
Most any Motorhome is basically the same, as long as the RV is 'driveable' to it's destination - the interior 'work' is not the driver's responsibility. QC is solely in the hands of the factory. Any transport company of driver is only there to make the delivery happen. Drivers let the factory and dealers iron out any details.

and, by the way, the 'accept' the paperwork and keys before they even see it!
Point duly noted and I stand corrected. Of course this means that I have identified yet another lie I was told by box dealer in Texas. In hindsight, I beginning to think our Thor Dealer was practicing lies on us to see how far a consumer would go and accept. (fortunately for us it didn't not work, but I would admit, we were really set back when both deals fell through) They drew a hardline and didn't blink an eye. It was almost as if they didn't wnat our salesman who had worked his tail off to get a sale.

We were told things like due to their volume their buyers basically picked the cream of the crop off the lot and the drivers verified. In some cases, they would place orders well in advance and specify all of the added upgrades that most dealers don't order (i.e. 2 ACs with 50 amp Service was standard for them if it was available on the coach).

Now having said all that, it has been two years since my first visit to that Thor dealer. If I wanted to buy another coach and wanted to get a Thor, I would go back. But I now know enough to not listen to the rhetoric and how to just focus on the coach I want, the price, and if if pass my version of PDI. (of course my version is slight modification to Lt Felkner's sp? We actually did everything he had on all of our PDIs except for the roof parts, I went up the ladder and took a look and said I am not going up there The only coach we seriously considered that passed the PDI otherwise happened to have a fiberglass roof with 10 year warranty and it was stored inside, so I said I am okay with this risk.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
You betcha!
Hey can you do that, isn't there some kind rule about about many RV degrees you can be from a Thor purchase to be SOB? You can't an SOB to be a SOB

Question, if you get that beautiful monster coach, how do you plan to get one with 30 amp service? At 31 feet; 2 ACs is standard, so don't you have to have 50 amp service? Since you have already invested in 30 amp service on your home pad, how are you gonna keep that thing cool? Don't say the weather is cool in NY, because I just heard of a big ice shelf that fell into ocean off Canada.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:19 AM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
You betcha!
Be careful. Allison 2500 trans with very little towing capacity. Same limitations as a Pallazzo
Old 08-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #18

Model: Venetian
State: California
THOR #917
My local dealer was a big Thor seller, and then around 2017 they decided to slow down on selling the brand due to the quality issues that they were seeing.
They now have 2020 and 2021 models again in stock and have said they think (after a recent factory visit) the 2021 MY coaches have seen some nice quality improvements and are now on par with similar Berkshire models.
We have been pretty happy with our 2014 Hurricane 34F and it has seen very little to no-time in the shop, since I fix/service everything myself.
We have one more trip in the Hurricane and then we are selling it to friends. We have a new 2021 Aria 3901 on order. We saw one in person and really liked it with the new Studio Collection interior.
Looking forward to moving up to a diesel pusher with a new layout.
I guess I will be experiencing first-hand how the new coach will shake out .
Old 08-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Hey can you do that, isn't there some kind rule about about many RV degrees you can be from a Thor purchase to be SOB? You can't an SOB to be a SOB

Question, if you get that beautiful monster coach, how do you plan to get one with 30 amp service? At 31 feet; 2 ACs is standard, so don't you have to have 50 amp service? Since you have already invested in 30 amp service on your home pad, how are you gonna keep that thing cool? Don't say the weather is cool in NY, because I just heard of a big ice shelf that fell into ocean off Canada.
I think it's called, "S.O.B. squared..."
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Already? The plastic isn't off of the latest one?
The Missus likes to shop...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote