Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
There are so many switches near the steps just inside the door on the Miramar, it is very easy to hit the wrong switch. I've even had "little hands" (grandkids) flip a switch. I now always leave the lights on inside the coach so I can visibly see I have put it into to "store"...lights go off...all is good. The light above the sink is always on and visible from the doorway so I can be certain whether or not it is in Store or Use mode. You could use the porch light as well but on my coach it is not LED.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Janet must have had a change of heart re: our sharing construction diagrams that we've acquired from Thor. Yeah, I get concept and have found my own images lifted on the 'net BUT who could use these diagrams but the coach owners or service techs? As a contractor, I was required to provide the owner with a set of As-Built drawings upon completion. On the purchase of an expensive studio apartment on wheels we are given a generic and near useless manual. Thor should provide those drawings with a legit manual, maybe on CD. How much money gets wasted paying a service tech to trouble shoot a problem that a schematic could have pin pointed? The service writer at CW thanked me for the dash wiring diagram saying the Thor didn't provide them. (Could have been another of his lies like "we can't wash the roof of your new rig because OSHA doesn't allow us up on the roof.")

Ed's manual is a fantastic concept and a tremendous help to us owners but it was developed because Thor doesn't. Frankly, I see our sharing the drawings as a benefit to Thor, doing the job for them.

...stepping off the soap box to take my blood pressure meds

Amen!

Ive been to the Thor service center twice. Great guys but even they suffer from the lack of documentation.

I spent 12 years in the Navy as an electronics tech. Fantastic training, documentation, and teamwork. I served on 5 different ships. No matter where I was I could pull out a manual troubleshoot a problem and get the equipment back on line.

Became an Engineer and hired on to a Dupont plant. No manuals, just a few as-built prints, but most everything was locked up in in the mind of an individual who knew that being an "expert" and not documenting was job security. 17 years later my division was sold off. Wasn't profitable. Later Dupont had to merge with Dow. Great company to work for but could not compete with Japan and Germany. Guess what those 2 countries were fantastic for! Documention, job quality, teamwork, and training.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I know what you mean. 20 years in the USAF and if you didn't know how to do something you could always look it up. Didn't matter if it was technical or administrative, there was a manual for everything. The civilian world doesn't work that way and that is why other countries are kicking our butt.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #24

Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #11230
lmao !!!!
Old 09-29-2018, 10:31 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
There are so many switches near the steps just inside the door on the Miramar, it is very easy to hit the wrong switch. I've even had "little hands" (grandkids) flip a switch. I now always leave the lights on inside the coach so I can visibly see I have put it into to "store"...lights go off...all is good. The light above the sink is always on and visible from the doorway so I can be certain whether or not it is in Store or Use mode. You could use the porch light as well but on my coach it is not LED.
I agree...
They need to be MUCH better-lit, and have MUCH better markings on them!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #26

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Going back to Sep 2015 just after I bought my Vegas, the thing that served as the incentive for me to compile the manual was the USE/STORE switch. I could find nothing in the Thor literature that explained how it did what it did. I knew it was related to battery charging, but how did it effect battery charging. And then came the concomitant question of how were the batteries charged, and when were they charged, and under what conditions.

And thus began the research. When I had answers I decided to write it up so I wouldn't forget it. Then I decided I should probably share what I had learned. That led to the manual as it is today.

With all that said and all I learned about the batteries, converter, BIRD, Trombetta, and USE/STORE switch, when my Vegas goes in for winterization I'm having them put a manual battery cutoff on the chassis and house batteries. Storing up here in PA is not going to be the same as storing the RV in Tampa. I want to be absolutely sure that no load drains the batteries.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: physically disconnect the batteries, and hook them up to some batteries maintainers.
I prefer the Deltran Battery Tenders; but any of them should be able to keep your batteries happy!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:52 AM   #28

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Our Vegas did the same thing several time. Finally replaced the cheap batteries and replaced with better ones and when not using we put on trinkle chargers, no more problems after that.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #29

Brand: DRV
Model: 34 RESA
State: Ohio
THOR #6014
Here is a link for a manual that is better than the one from Thor:
Link to Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual

I developed an Owners' Manual specific to the Vegas/Axis using my 2015 Vegas 24.1 as the model for the manual. The manual contains checklists for setup, teardown, winterizing, storage, and Pre-Delivery Inspection. It has a section describing the operation of all the systems in the RV. It has a section on tips and modifications. It also has a section on periodic maintenance. Finally it also contains a list of the Thor construction drawings an owner should request from Thor customer service for water, sewer, AC electric, DC electric, wall and roof construction, and layout.

Generally, I distributed this manual to about 350 new owners who sent me an email requesting the manual. I now have the manual posted to a Microsoft OneDrive website. Anyone on this forum who would like a copy can go to the website below and using the menu can download the manual in MS Word or Adobe PDF format.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Old 09-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #30

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
Gremlins it would seem

I had my Unit sitting with shore power for about 10 days, everything was working as I checked it from time to time. On the 10th day I went out and the whole unit was dead and all batteries were dead which let all the food in the fridge to go bad. I had to jump start the vehicle and let it run. After about 15 minutes I rebooted the system and the power came back on. I took it to the dealer and was told they couldn't figure it out and if it happened again to contact them. Last week I was readying for a trip and the night before I checked everything out and it appeared okay. When I went out in the morning the system had shut down again. Fortunately it was only overnight and I didn'y lose the food. The batteries were low but I had enough to start the motor and then rebooted the system which allowed me to start the generator which brought everything back to normal. While camping I never lost power to the system and didn't have an issue. My guess is the converter from shore power to the 12 volt system is shutting down which in turn stops the converter which runs the "home type" refrigerator. I'm under warranty and will take it back in this week, if they find what the problem is I'll post it.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #31

State: Georgia
THOR #9223
If you CALL Thor customer service they will email you the wiring and/or plumbing diagram for your unit. Don't email- they never respond.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #32

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
We had a similar problem a few weeks ago (just before an extended trip from TX-NY-TN-NY-TX) where the chassis and house batteries were dead after being plugged in to shore power inside our storage facility while in Use mode. We have a Progressive EMS-PT30X surge protector and discovered IT was the problem - power going into it and none coming out. I contacted Progressive, they asked for 2 photos of the unit and proof of purchase (March 2017) then immediately shipped a new one to me & said to dispose of the faulty one. Love that customer service! 👍🏻
Old 10-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #33

State: California
THOR #12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In addition, your links above include your VIN which can be PII (Personally Identifiable Information--privacy stuff).
As a designer of an automotive shop management software system, I can tell you the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is not PII, who owns that 'VIN' is PII.

But - back to the important stuff. How the heck does one tell if the rocker switch has left the system in Store or Use mode?

JD
Old 10-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #34

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
As a designer of an automotive shop management software system, I can tell you the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is not PII, who owns that 'VIN' is PII.

But - back to the important stuff. How the heck does one tell if the rocker switch has left the system in Store or Use mode?

JD
Unplug from shore power. Turn on a light. if you are in USE mode the light will stay on. If you are in store mode it will go off. Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #35

State: Arkansas
THOR #13364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
PS:

To have the store/use circuit controlled by the battery is rather stupid. To have to have a charged up battery to allow the charger circuit to charge does not make sense.

I had to put on an external charger to charge my battery to allow the relay to activate to allow the coach charger to kick in and charge the battery.

Again the engine battery ran completely down as well. The two systems should be completely separate.
Im having the exact same problem. Came home labor day weekend and the coach has been plugged in the entire time but both house batteries and engine battery completely dead. I have a battery charger hooked to the house batteries as I type... leaving tomorrow (I hope) for the remainder of the week.. plus I got the recall notice about the step bolt stripping out and low and behold the steps are not retracting and making a heck of a racket! Everytime I take this thor out it seems something's going to happen.... very frustrating!

I have a 2013 Hurricane 34f.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #36

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw06 View Post
Im having the exact same problem. Came home labor day weekend and the coach has been plugged in the entire time but both house batteries and engine battery completely dead. I have a battery charger hooked to the house batteries as I type... leaving tomorrow (I hope) for the remainder of the week.. plus I got the recall notice about the step bolt stripping out and low and behold the steps are not retracting and making a heck of a racket! Everytime I take this thor out it seems something's going to happen.... very frustrating!

I have a 2013 Hurricane 34f.

Obviously Thor has a wiring and/or engineering problem. The only totally safe solution is to have isolation switches on each battery and a charge minder on each. But what a hassle!