Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
Posts: 46
THOR #6107
Wind Control

We have a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1. It drives absolutely awful in the wind. Is there anything that can be installed under the motorhome to help this?
__________________

__________________
RoseyStapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,964
THOR #1150
First thing: Did you get an alignment? Should have got one after the first 100 miles or so.

So far all we have done is an alignment and Sumo Springs on the front. The Sumo's did a great job getting rid of the "wallowing" the Axis did (kind of slow porpoising after hitting a bump).
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,253
THOR #8860
I agree... an alignment should be the first thing that you do...
Your next project after that should probably be a steering stabilizer.
After that: have fun playing with the aerodynamics of your rig. Let us know what you figure out!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Golfbum18's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
Posts: 332
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
First thing: Did you get an alignment? Should have got one after the first 100 miles or so.

So far all we have done is an alignment and Sumo Springs on the front. The Sumo's did a great job getting rid of the "wallowing" the Axis did (kind of slow porpoising after hitting a bump).
What did your alignment cost and did you go to a Ford dealer ro have it done?
__________________
Golfbum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,964
THOR #1150
My alignment was around $150 or so (don't remember the exact price 4 years ago). I had it done at a Goodyear Commercial Tire shop:
https://www.goodyearctsc.com/
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
Posts: 1,409
THOR #5821
Motorhomes present a huge surface for winds to affect. There are some things you can do to the suspension to help it, but realize that motorhomes will all be sensitive to cross and head winds.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Miramar Owner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
Posts: 667
THOR #4488
This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum. If you search handling you'll likely find a lot of advice.

Personally, I had an alignment (paid for by Thor), Safe-T-Plus installed for blow out protection and handling and a larger track bar for the rear. Normal breezy days of 10 - 20 MPH winds cause no problems. Winds above this are manageable but take more attention. Much above 30 MPH winds require driving slower or better yet, finding a place to park it.

My RV is a Miramar which is heavier and larger than the AXIS so that may help some too.
__________________
Miramar Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,253
THOR #8860
I just slow down a bit...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Golfbum18's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
Posts: 332
THOR #9033
How did you get Thor to foot the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum. If you search handling you'll likely find a lot of advice.

Personally, I had an alignment (paid for by Thor), Safe-T-Plus installed for blow out protection and handling and a larger track bar for the rear. Normal breezy days of 10 - 20 MPH winds cause no problems. Winds above this are manageable but take more attention. Much above 30 MPH winds require driving slower or better yet, finding a place to park it.

My RV is a Miramar which is heavier and larger than the AXIS so that may help some too.
__________________
Golfbum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 2,194
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
What did your alignment cost and did you go to a Ford dealer ro have it done?

My alignment was also about $150, two and a half years ago at Josams in Orlando. They are the experts, they build the alignment equipment that many shops use. You might find a Goodyear truck shop that could do it.

Just a few folks here have been successful getting Thor to pay for alignment under warranty. If you are past that, you are on your own for sure.
__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Miramar Owner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
Posts: 667
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
How did you get Thor to foot the bill?
The first few weeks I owned the new RV, I discovered the alignment was way off. I took it in for the Safe-T-Plus and rear track bar install by the truck center. They did the alignment and told me no vehicle should be sold with it off so much. I called the Thor customer service contact and told him what he said. he told me to submit the claim and he would see what he could do. About 2 weeks later I got a check for the cost of the alignment.
__________________
Miramar Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BradnKaren's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
Posts: 312
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
My alignment was also about $150, two and a half years ago at Josams in Orlando. They are the experts, they build the alignment equipment that many shops use....
Second Josams. We had ours done there last year. Added a Safe-T-Plus and a rear trac bar and my husband says our Challenger drives like a dream.

High cross winds are always going to be an issue with a vehicle that looks like a billboard driving down the road. Just stay focused and ready to react when a gust hits, and keep your speed down a bit.
__________________
BradnKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
Posts: 1,409
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
High cross winds are always going to be an issue with a vehicle that looks like a billboard driving down the road. Just stay focused and ready to react when a gust hits, and keep your speed down a bit.
Very true. I formerly had a 41000 pound 41 foot DP with IFS, but because it presented such a huge surface to the wind, it was a nightmare to drive in heavy cross winds. My current Gemini, is much smaller, but also much lighter, so it too gets pushed around in the wind. This is just a fact of driving vehicles of this size.
__________________

__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×