Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
larger front tires?

hit a huge pot hole on my way down to Florida on Sunday, Destroyed a tire and bent the rim. Cost $800 to get the a new tire and have it replaced by a service on a Sunday and then another $250 to straighten the rim and polish it. I think Judge was the one who added a carrier and spare to his rig. Thats definitely in the immediate future for me as well. In the mean time I now have mismatched fronts and will be replacing them both likely with a slightly larger more aggressive tire like the Conti HDR or Hybrid H3 in a 245. Our stock tires are worthless in the snow and sand. Just wondering if anyones done similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200904_180226.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	36096   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220206_105029.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	36097  

Old 02-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #2

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Bummer Larry - Glad you got the rig slowed down stopped safely...
A thousand dollar flat - ouch.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:04 PM   #3

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
hit a huge pot hole on my way down to Florida on Sunday, Destroyed a tire and bent the rim. Cost $800 to get the a new tire and have it replaced by a service on a Sunday and then another $250 to straighten the rim and polish it. I think Judge was the one who added a carrier and spare to his rig. Thats definitely in the immediate future for me as well. In the mean time I now have mismatched fronts and will be replacing them both likely with a slightly larger more aggressive tire like the Conti HDR or Hybrid H3 in a 245. Our stock tires are worthless in the snow and sand. Just wondering if anyones done similar.
Larry you are correct that most tires on rv's are not work a crap in the snow or any other condition, but by putting more aggressive tires on your rig you will increase the drag on it and will get even worse gas mileage. I guess it depends on your specific needs. Good luck sir in whatever your choice is.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:19 AM   #4

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I hope you are replacing all the tires with the same size because you have a 4x4
Old 02-12-2022, 12:20 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Glad you were able to control the flat safely.

Paul
Old 02-12-2022, 04:36 AM   #6

THOR #20809
thank you all for the concern.

it was pretty scary. 18 wheeler passed me on the right doing 80+. It was on a 2 lane narrow stretch on the 95 with jersey barriers. His bow wake was strong enough to push me left just over the yellow line where there was a pot hole that went all the way to china. Thankfully I was able to control it. The trucker saw what he did and immediately gave me space. I was able to pull hard to the right and the exit ramp was right there. Got to the top of the ramp and pulled into a truck stop where I was able to call a service. was back on the road in 2hrs, so all in all I consider myself extremely lucky. could have been a lot worse.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:14 PM   #7

THOR #20274
Quote:
it was pretty scary. 18 wheeler passed me on the right doing 80+. It was on a 2 lane narrow stretch on the 95 with jersey barriers. His bow wake was strong enough to push me left just over the yellow line where there was a pot hole that went all the way to china. Thankfully I was able to control it. The trucker saw what he did and immediately gave me space. I was able to pull hard to the right and the exit ramp was right there. Got to the top of the ramp and pulled into a truck stop where I was able to call a service. was back on the road in 2hrs, so all in all I consider myself extremely lucky. could have been a lot worse.
WOW, I hope you had extra underwear
Old 02-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
The trucker saw what he did? Sounds like trucker was just driving normally and you were being slow in the left lane on I-95.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I hope you are replacing all the tires with the same size because you have a 4x4
This. You do not want to have different sized tires--you'll destroy something.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #10

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
The trucker saw what he did? Sounds like trucker was just driving normally and you were being slow in the left lane on I-95.
I was doing 70+. Maybe try harder to not jump to conclusions about things you have no idea about.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Glad you are safe!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Just curious regarding significance of first picture, copied below. Is this what you are working towards? Nice looking rig by the way.

P.S. — Anyone notice Thor site shows 4X4 “available”. That suggest RWD may be standard. I thought they were all 4X4 from start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23B35422-FBC2-43CD-BEE7-4F6429C80F7B.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	36109  
Old 02-12-2022, 04:20 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #21940
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that might be left over from when only certain floor plans were actually four wheel drive. Some of the larger floor plans on the F550 chassis were too large/heavy for the four wheel drive chassis and were only available as two wheel drive.

Now that Thor is using the F600 chassis, I believe that all floor plans are four wheel drive.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
I was doing 70+. Maybe try harder to not jump to conclusions about things you have no idea about.
Who were you passing? No one? Stay in right lane.

Vehicles passing you in the right lane is a sign something is wrong.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbuzz View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that might be left over from when only certain floor plans were actually four wheel drive. Some of the larger floor plans on the F550 chassis were too large/heavy for the four wheel drive chassis and were only available as two wheel drive.

Now that Thor is using the F600 chassis, I believe that all floor plans are four wheel drive.

Thor doesn’t always update site quickly or accurately, so sometimes hard for me to follow. The floor plan page shows “4X4 available”, but features page shows 4X4 standard, so you are probably correct. Anyway, rig in top picture looks cool with large off-road singles. Not sure how those would ride on pavement, or if they are loud or reduce fuel economy.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #16

THOR #20809
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just curious regarding significance of first picture, copied below. Is this what you are working towards? Nice looking rig by the way.

P.S. — Anyone notice Thor site shows 4X4 “available”. That suggest RWD may be standard. I thought they were all 4X4 from start.

thats a rig i saw out on the beach on the Jersey Shore. Convinced me to get the Magnitude. It not mine but is what Im working toward.. Lockers, bigger tires, solar, anything towards boondocking on the beach.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #17

THOR #20274
Quote:
Thor doesn’t always update site quickly or accurately, so sometimes hard for me to follow. The floor plan page shows “4X4 available”, but features page shows 4X4 standard, so you are probably correct. Anyway, rig in top picture looks cool with large off-road singles. Not sure how those would ride on pavement, or if they are loud or reduce fuel economy.
Wouldn't be nice if they had AWD with a front wheel disconnect instead of 4wheel drive
Old 02-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #18

THOR #20809
Quote:
Who were you passing? No one? Stay in right lane.

Vehicles passing you in the right lane is a sign something is wrong.
again, stop jumping to conclusions. Why are you assuming I was doing anything wrong? You weren't there and didn't see what went down.
Its crazy that you're defending the trucker when you haven't got a clue. Stop trolling.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:11 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Wouldn't be nice if they had AWD with a front wheel disconnect instead of 4wheel drive

Some who have AWD (like Transit vans) often complain about not having 4X4 (like Sprinter vans), which have a bit more off-road capability. Both have their advantages I suppose. Personally, I prefer 4X4 for off-road and AWD for on-highway slippery conditions. Both are great options though.

A couple of days ago I was at Houston RV Show and saw a few F-550 and F-600 Super C on display. Did not look at them closely because they are all way too large for my needs. If they had a much smaller unit on F-350 SRW chassis I would have taken a look; particularly with 7.3L V8. I know smaller units are made also, but by low-volume custom manufacturers at extreme prices. In any case did not see any at show.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #20

THOR #20274
Quote:
Some who have AWD (like Transit vans) often complain about not having 4X4 (like Sprinter vans), which have a bit more off-road capability. Both have their advantages I suppose. Personally, I prefer 4X4 for off-road and AWD for on-highway slippery conditions. Both are great options though.

A couple of days ago I was at Houston RV Show and saw a few F-550 and F-600 Super C on display. Did not look at them closely because they are all way too large for my needs. If they had a much smaller unit on F-350 SRW chassis I would have taken a look; particularly with 7.3L V8. I know smaller units are made also, but by low-volume custom manufacturers at extreme prices. In any case did not see any at show.
I had Jeeps and 4 wheel drive trucks and when I got my first AWD, it seemed better in the snow. We know that most 4 wheel drive vehicles have two wheel drive one in the front and one in the rear. Most 4x4s can be bought with posi in the rear 3 wheel drive and a few of them can have posi in the front. If every thing was locked up on a truck with posi/limited slip in the rear it would send power 50/50 to front and rear axles the rear would sent it's power to the wheel with the best traction and the front would send the power to the spinning wheel. These AWDs like my old one will send the power to the axle with the best traction up to 100% and shift the traction back and forth as needed. my newer suv has AWD with posi in the rear it can send 100% of the power front or rear like the old one but the rear end can send 100% to either rear tire so if only one tire has traction in the rear all the power could go to that wheel. If they could come out with a heavy duty system for these trucks it would be great. Also the newer suv can run most of the time in 2wd saving fuel