Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2023, 05:14 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
As kids, we camped out often, did our "business" in a hole in the woods and buried it. We used a creek for washing. BUT... that was when we were kids... now fast forward to traveling in a motorhome as adults.

Okay... so I'm going down a rabbit hole here... likely a very personal one - because NO ONE has ever REALLY answered the question of... "How do you get CLEAN with a composting toilet?" Let me give an analogy... Has anyone ever tried to was dishes with a DRY paper towel?

For those too embarrassed to answer my stupid question, kindly post a link with DETAILED... REALLY DETAILED! instructions of use!
sand. just like the bushmen.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:18 PM   #42
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
As kids, we camped out often, did our "business" in a hole in the woods and buried it. We used a creek for washing. BUT... that was when we were kids... now fast forward to traveling in a motorhome as adults.

Okay... so I'm going down a rabbit hole here... likely a very personal one - because NO ONE has ever REALLY answered the question of... "How do you get CLEAN with a composting toilet?" Let me give an analogy... Has anyone ever tried to was dishes with a DRY paper towel?

For those too embarrassed to answer my stupid question, kindly post a link with DETAILED... REALLY DETAILED! instructions of use!
You can use baby wipes and put them in a zip lock bag. Many a hiker in the back country carry all out. Note: do wash your hands and sanitize before you eat!
Old 05-11-2023, 08:13 PM   #43

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Only used hurricane as it only experience that applies to topic.

Solar has some very good applications. I have the self charging outside lighting. Some over 5 years old. Due to tree cover, solar could be done here but would reduce shade considerably. Since my electric tab is under $3000/per year at today pricing. Ledger does not make sense from ROI standpoint.

I too have wired to allow opening of main and plugging in portable generator to power what needed in house during power failures. Minimal size gen needed to do minimum to keep fuel cost in line with load.

Do what fits in your situation.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:41 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Only used hurricane as it only experience that applies to topic.

Solar has some very good applications. I have the self charging outside lighting. Some over 5 years old. Due to tree cover, solar could be done here but would reduce shade considerably. Since my electric tab is under $3000/per year at today pricing. Ledger does not make sense from ROI standpoint.

I too have wired to allow opening of main and plugging in portable generator to power what needed in house during power failures. Minimal size gen needed to do minimum to keep fuel cost in line with load.

Do what fits in your situation.
Few years ago when they had the hard freeze in Texas and no power from power grids, we went 7 days running of out portable 3,500 watt genny. We had neighbors coming by every day because we had lights on in the house and watching TV. I left the outside landscapes light on to add insult to injury

The downside was I had to refuel about every 8 hours. It was a tough job in the middle of the night as it was cold.

But now, with RV at home and hookup to 5500 Onan to House Transfer Switch, I don't have to worry about refilling for gas.

If I really was worried about wanting to supply the entire house, I would buy a Generac from Home Depot.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:47 PM   #45

THOR #5313
Is remarkable that the Champion 3500 run watt unit will go 10 to 16 hours running RV at track. It does struggle on 15k a/c startup. Bought new almost 7 years ago. Has run steady with only refill/check oil for 3 - 5 days at a time. It has 196cc engine and a 3.4 gal tank.

The 4000run/5000 start is dual voltage to run 220v well pump 3/4 hp. It does not struggle at startup of 15k a/c and has gone 16 hours on less than 5 gal tank.

A key to fuel usage is do no more than meet requirements when sizing. My best guess is both are better on fuel than onan4000. I only run that on road and rarely when parked. When it reaches annual oil change time I will run at track. The onan has 600 hours, bought in 2016 with 240. The smaller champion is likely upwards of 5000 now.

I just tossed an old 5500 generac from hurricane Andrew last year. Was a flathead, loud and kept mosquitos away.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:32 AM   #46

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Is remarkable that the Champion 3500 run watt unit will go 10 to 16 hours running RV at track. It does struggle on 15k a/c startup. Bought new almost 7 years ago. Has run steady with only refill/check oil for 3 - 5 days at a time. It has 196cc engine and a 3.4 gal tank.

The 4000run/5000 start is dual voltage to run 220v well pump 3/4 hp. It does not struggle at startup of 15k a/c and has gone 16 hours on less than 5 gal tank.

A key to fuel usage is do no more than meet requirements when sizing. My best guess is both are better on fuel than onan4000. I only run that on road and rarely when parked. When it reaches annual oil change time I will run at track. The onan has 600 hours, bought in 2016 with 240. The smaller champion is likely upwards of 5000 now.

I just tossed an old 5500 generac from hurricane Andrew last year. Was a flathead, loud and kept mosquitos away.
I had two Champion 2000 watt with parallel kit... used on previous Grand Design trailer. Used for two seasons and sold for about 80% of what I paid new. They were awesome... VERY quiet! So... didn't your Champion have the eco-mode that throttled down unless a load applied? These 2000 watt sipped fuel, but we're not needed with the MH.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:08 AM   #47

THOR #5313
Quote:
I had two Champion 2000 watt with parallel kit... used on previous Grand Design trailer. Used for two seasons and sold for about 80% of what I paid new. They were awesome... VERY quiet! So... didn't your Champion have the eco-mode that throttled down unless a load applied? These 2000 watt sipped fuel, but we're not needed with the MH.
Both of my Champions are open frame types. Little need for quiet units at dragstrip. Buddy has a quiet one but has small tank and 3 times cost. If I am close to someone in a popup of truck type camper, will run on onan after racing done. It is quietest on outside.

I have considered soft start for a/c, flipside is not sure how much longer can stay competitive. Too many b-days has had negative effect on working on car and getting in/out.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:29 AM   #48

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Both of my Champions are open frame types. Little need for quiet units at dragstrip. Buddy has a quiet one but has small tank and 3 times cost. If I am close to someone in a popup of truck type camper, will run on onan after racing done. It is quietest on outside.

I have considered soft start for a/c, flipside is not sure how much longer can stay competitive. Too many b-days has had negative effect on working on car and getting in/out.
Okay gotcha I use an open frame 6.5k headbanger at home for backup through a transfer switch. I've considered a Generac whole house (like many of my neighbors)... but the electric has been off here a total of 3 hours in nearly seven years... so I rest my case.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #49

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
There are similarities between what OP wants to accomplish with motorhome solar, and living in a house without electricity for a week or two following a hurricane. We have much experience with that.

Sizing of solar system for MH off-grid living, and sizing of generator for most home emergencies, will both take a huge jump in size and cost when “normal” air conditioning is added as a required load. Because of this, one can save a lot of money by eliminating or limiting air conditioning requirements during these unusual periods.

For us the most important need is to power fridge so we don’t lose food. Fridge, LED lights, fans, and new TVs require very little power by comparison. Cooking food can be done with 1,000 Watts even if house is all electric. A 2,000-Watt portable generator should make life much easier.

Air conditioning entire house would require minimum of 50A X 220V generator so very high cost by comparison. I’m not spending that kind of money unless power outages become a routine occurrence.

In retrospect, I wish that when I recently replaced 5-Ton central A/C I would have gone with 4-Ton and added a low-capacity Mini-Split for our bedroom. That would have given us a place to stay cool requiring only a small generator.

People who have electric heat and lose power in winter have a different problem that is not as comparable to motorhomes. Fortunately we have natural gas so only need to power furnace blower.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:11 PM   #50

THOR #5313
When we bought this place, we were warned power unreliable as pop density low. Turned out in 5 1/2 years have only had 4 instances where power out long enough to use RV and generator. Once they said power next morning, turned on 2am and slept in RV anyway. 2 times it was hurricanes, one extended outage that required empty freezers and fridge. I have window unit in wall of back shed that can be removed and put in bedroom window if needed. Is a plan "B" for extended outage.

None of the outages amount to any more than bump in road. I could spend a great deal of money and have a seamless setup but cost/extra maintenance not really justified. I am retired, have plenty of time so a few bumps is just a little extra work. When I get older, maybe that change but we play cards dealt right now.