Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I used to joke about:
Last breath, last nickel.

Now that I'm older and having lived a self reliant and very fair to others type life..while watching some others take advantage of the system...I'm considering a bit of a revision to:
Last breath. Bad check.
Well that new plan does not bode very well for my hopes up the moving up the line to get that Garage Bar

Go ahead spend it all, don't worry about me

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We will never be ALL equal. We were in Maui and Kauai last November and saw many private planes parked in a secluded area. Do you think those class A owners worry about gas?

My 2 sons work for Goldman Sachs and claim they are making more money now

At this point in my life, if anything has a payment attached to it...it isn't wealth (asset vs. liability), regardless of what it is. Those planes eat a lot of hay. Most likely corporate money.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 06-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The price for gas is always on our minds, but the price of freedom and fun over rules our mind so we just keep on going. The price of gas hasn't stopped us so back in March 2022 we traded in our 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS diesel class C for a 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1 class A. Yes it uses much more fuel but the room and ability to travel in more comfort will help out every time we hit the gas pumps. Looking forward to seeing more of our country.

Paul
Old 06-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Thumbs down

I put the Tuscany in the shop today for the summer. When it is cool enough to travel and not need the generator running back on the road.

Cost is certainly a factor in miles driven rather than days stayed in our case.

Today on I70 there were a lot of TT's and 5th Wheels and less than typical larger class A's. Wind was around 40-45 and everyone was struggling a bit.

Diesel running around $5.50 and upwards

Let the tank run down lower than normal on the way in after checking fuel prices in JC.

$650 to top off the tank which is the record for the 7 years of ownership.

We will see what fall brings

Camp sites were available and more empty sites than I have seen for years which is quite a change
Old 06-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post

.....cut....

$650 to top off the tank which is the record for the 7 years of ownership.

We will see what fall brings

Camp sites were available and more empty sites than I have seen for years which is quite a change
At least there is some good news, though not for reason we would want.

That is some serious cost to fill up, but not to worry, RV Industry Execs told CNN that RVers are adjusting to higher fuel rates.

The linked story mentions $900 fill up.

https://rvbusiness.com/cnn-industry-...gh-gas-prices/
Old 06-21-2022, 03:55 AM   #26

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I don’t think that anybody really likes paying for gas I sure don’t. While I am really glad that we did our 6k mile trip to fort wilderness last year this years prices would be about $1,500 dollars more. All it really would had meant was maybe we wouldn’t had done dinner at the Beauty and Beast castle, probably would have ate out less. And spent less on the kids at Disney Springs.

You still have to live life the best you can. Shorter trips closer to home. Less big trips, either way most of the time the trip is still cheaper then flying and staying in a hotel.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #27

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
At some point, gas pricing will hit that ceiling of diminishing returns. PRices will drop when demand lowers. Have you drilled into oil company profits?. We’re doing short trips to destinations. However, only got 7.2 mpg on a recent run from Charlotte NC to Beaufort SC. $300. 5 nights in an RV CG. $500. It’s getting close to being able to drive the SUV $100 gas, and stay in an AIRBNB, $900. If and when it hits that magic number to travel in an RV,it will hit RV Trader real quick.
Also, I95 through SC is terrible. If that road doesn’t shake a bunch of stuff loose, none will. So now I’m in the process of checking drawers and cabinets. Had to fix steps. All considerations. Oh, and I can get more for the RV than I paid for it 3 years ago. But, alas, I’d be giving up the pleasure of interacting with you folks if I sold the thing. Such is my Tuesday morning.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #28

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
At some point, gas pricing will hit that ceiling of diminishing returns. PRices will drop when demand lowers. Have you drilled into oil company profits?. We’re doing short trips to destinations. However, only got 7.2 mpg on a recent run from Charlotte NC to Beaufort SC. $300. 5 nights in an RV CG. $500. It’s getting close to being able to drive the SUV $100 gas, and stay in an AIRBNB, $900. If and when it hits that magic number to travel in an RV,it will hit RV Trader real quick.
Also, I95 through SC is terrible. If that road doesn’t shake a bunch of stuff loose, none will. So now I’m in the process of checking drawers and cabinets. Had to fix steps. All considerations. Oh, and I can get more for the RV than I paid for it 3 years ago. But, alas, I’d be giving up the pleasure of interacting with you folks if I sold the thing. Such is my Tuesday morning.

No mode of travel can replace RVing for us. It's not where we're going that's important...it's how we get there. A lot also depends on whether you're retired or not and whether you've switched over from employed income to self-income. One of our best trips so far was close to home, along the Big Bend of Florida. Travel 35-50 miles, spend 2 or 3 nights exploring an area and move on another 50 miles or so. What do oil company profits have to do with anything but watching too much TV and drinking that kool-aid?
Old 06-21-2022, 04:53 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I don’t think that anybody really likes paying for gas I sure don’t. While I am really glad that we did our 6k mile trip to fort wilderness last year this years prices would be about $1,500 dollars more. All it really would had meant was maybe we wouldn’t had done dinner at the Beauty and Beast castle, probably would have ate out less. And spent less on the kids at Disney Springs.

You still have to live life the best you can. Shorter trips closer to home. Less big trips, either way most of the time the trip is still cheaper then flying and staying in a hotel.
Well in November we both flew to Hawaii for $1400 and paid nothing since we have a timeshare..if this continues flying may be cheaper
Old 06-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Good points. If it gets that close many will calculate driving in car and airbnb..in our case we can stay Resort free all over usa & the world..never thought about it until you mentioned..

Fly or drive we pay no resort room fees

Use use viresorts.com & rci owners for 30 years
Old 06-21-2022, 05:44 PM   #31

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Well in November we both flew to Hawaii for $1400 and paid nothing since we have a timeshare..if this continues flying may be cheaper
That’s a good deal! I think I would chose that option as well. My parents used their timeshare a few years ago to spend 3 weeks in Germany. Only paid a transfer fee and then normal flight and transportation.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #32

THOR #11130
Quote:

Pretty cool!! Where are the free timeshares in Hawaii? I'm up for one of them!!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Good points. If it gets that close many will calculate driving in car and airbnb..in our case we can stay Resort free all over usa & the world..never thought about it until you mentioned..

Fly or drive we pay no resort room fees

Use use viresorts.com & rci owners for 30 years
Ok, can you explain to me how much it cost to have "Resort free all over usa & the world" and "no resort room fees"?

It takes me back to a Pizza Hut promotion we got for a free Pizza, and when we ordered; it cost us $11.99 plus delivery

We got a free Rent a car in Florida for a cruise vacation, and it cost us $224 for taxes, I guess sports crap and other fees. BTW the car was so tiny, it made Bob's old Smart car look like an 18 wheeler. We could only put one suitcase in the trunk. We had to upgrade, and when it was all said and done we paid $346 for our FREE rent a car.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-21-2022, 06:20 PM   #34
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ok, can you explain to me how much it cost to have "Resort free all over usa & the world" and "no resort room fees"?

It takes me back to a Pizza Hut promotion we got for a free Pizza, and when we ordered; it cost us $11.99 plus delivery

We got a free Rent a car in Florida for a cruise vacation, and it cost us $224 for taxes, I guess sports crap and other fees. BTW the car was so tiny, it made Bob's old Smart car look like an 18 wheeler. We could only put one suitcase in the trunk. We had to upgrade, and when it was all said and done we paid $346 for our rent car.
As many have learned, "There is no such thing as a free lunch!".
Old 06-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Well I ain't retired Like my grandmother use to tell us, "I hope I live long enough to retire." In the meantime, I whine & complain every time I am at the pump of late. My frown is just a smile upside down

Thus far $4.79 is the most I have ever spent on gas. $4.39 was the lowest on the trip. Gas was $1.99 when I bought the RV. Someone mentioned a budget? Don't think I even budgeted for gas, but I had plenty of reserves for repairs that thus far have been way overstated. It evens out in the wash
No one budgets for gas alone. These prices are ridiculous and we all know the leadership has screwed us!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #36

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
As many have learned, "There is no such thing as a free lunch!".
This always reminds me of:

She: excuse me, do you know the difference being sex and a ham sandwich?

He: no, I guess I don't.

She: I'd like to buy you lunch.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #37

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #20184
Here is the future?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73841521-FF06-489C-94C8-D0654EA0C123.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	38258  
Old 06-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
Here is the future?!
Wow, no gas, no generator!!!! So I guess the wagon must be full of Lithium batteries
Old 06-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #39

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
Here is the future?!
Very funny. .lora loved it
Old 06-21-2022, 09:00 PM   #40

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #20184
The environmentalists would say it creates too much methane!