Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
We enjoyed Philidelphia, but not driving in the area. Very few options for RVs, and the roads getting to them are narrow steep and overgrown with trees. We scraped the top once and actually
scraped a bridge railing when forced over.
Glad to be out of there.

We are in DC. Staying at the Cherry Hill Park in Maryland. Expensive but really worth it! All the amenities you could need, and they really make it easy to see DC which is what everyone wants. Orientation meeting every evening where they explain all the tours available, how to see DC without a tour and how to get into the city. The metro bus actually stops in the park.
When returning to the park from the metro it's only a $10 uber charge and way faster than making all the bus stops

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
In Savannah. Roads have really been quite nice getting down the east coast. As weather warms, mileage is suffering due to AC use. Between 9.5 and 10. Enjoyed Myrtle Beach immensely. Between the golf and the beach, pretty nice place.
Got introduced to love bugs yesterday between Charleston and Savannah. I don't love them. What a pain to get off.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #43

THOR #6934
We spent 10 days in Cape San Blas, which was great! Then to New Orleans, for a couple nights, and down the coast of Texas. Plan on South Padre by tomorrow night. I 10 is way better than the roads up north, although there is a lot of construction.
Mileage is hanging at just under 10. Should be able to better that if I ever get to cooler weather.
Best Gas price, $1.96 at Costco in northern Houston.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #44

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
You won't get gas in California for $2.80 per gallon. Try $4.30 per gallon on up. I just paid $4.59 for super at a Shell gas station near my house in Anaheim Hills, Ca (near Disneyland).

Paul
Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #45

THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You won't get gas in California for $2.80 per gallon. Try $4.30 per gallon on up. I just paid $4.59 for super at a Shell gas station near my house in Anaheim Hills, Ca (near Disneyland).

Paul
Yep, I plan on timing it so I don't buy any gas in California.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:47 AM   #46

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Paul
I’m in SanDiego County
Same outrageous gas prices and taxes here

Maybe we can get a group of CA Thor owners to purchase a piece of property in NV, AZ, or TX. Create our own RV Park and use the group address as our 50.1% residence.

Any takers?
Old 10-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #47

THOR #6934
We are in extreme west Texas. Changed our route a little and followed the coast all the way to South Padre Island, then north. Finally some cooler weather. Yesterday was the first day we used no AC for 24 hours. Enjoyed Texas Hill Country, staying near Kernville. Even with the hills, out mileage seems to be much better without the AC.
On to Carlsbad.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #48

THOR #13362
Great updates
Are you gonna do Roswell-NM also?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 AM   #49

THOR #6934
I thought about it, but we need to be in Tucson in a couple days.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 AM   #50

THOR #6934
We went to Carlsbad Caverns today. The road from Fort Stockton north is horrible. This is Oil field country and the heavy trucks have destroyed the highway. Very heavy truck traffic. I would go the El Paso and back track if I ever came back.
But having said that, the Caverns are amazing. Truly a sight of a lifetime.
Everyone should see them at least once in their life.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #51

THOR #6934
Well, we finished up, New Mexico, Arizona,Nevada, and Home.

8487 miles
Average mileage 9.9 (wind killed us in NV)
We never used the coach AC/ generator except for a couple hours when we had to leave the dog alone.
Average fuel price $2.49
Mich. Has the worst roads
Followed by Utah
I-10 is getting a lot of work and will be great soon.
Oregon has the best roads.
Fuel cost $2142.47
Old 10-26-2019, 03:36 AM   #52

THOR #13362
So it looks like about 56 days (8/28-10/24?), 150 miles/day average
You certainly kept things moving.

Thanks for letting us ride along
It was educational and fun
Old 10-26-2019, 03:47 AM   #53

THOR #6934
I guess we did. We had 20 non travel days
Old 11-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #54

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Florida
THOR #13725
The Big Loop

I apologize for the long post -----but it is a long trip!! We recently completed a 113 day trip across the country. There are so many places to see and things to do its incredible. The #1 recommendation I have for you is to plan your trip with seasonal weather in mind . #2 - Fuel - COSTCO far your best value, then Flying J (7cent gal discount with their card) #3 - take your time and do not rush ---Overall, for the time of year at each point of interest, we had very good weather. We left Florida in April and headed northwest to Stone Mountain, then Nashville, Huntsville (US Rocket Center), and then Memphis. From there we dashed to Cortez Colorado to visit Mesa Verde Nat'l Park, then Four Corners, Monument Valley (an absolute must see) Grand Canyon, Mesa and then Phoenix. We chose this route based on the seasonal weather forecast. Across the desert to SanDiego, Los Angeles, Sequoia, Yosemite, and Kings Canyon Nat'l Parks. On to San Francisco and then north to the Redwood State & National Parks. The drive up the Oregon Coast was fantastic and we stayed at State Parks each night (Humbug Man, Beverly Beach, Nehalem) and they were absolutely great! Continued north to Lewis & Clark Nat'l Park, Mt St Helen, Mt Rainier Nat'l Park , Seattle, and on to Surrey British Columbia. Turned east and hit Jasper Banff and Waterton Nat'l Parks in Canada before returning to the states at Montana where we stopped off at Virginia City (old west town) before visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Parks. A quick jaunt north to Devils Tower Wyoming and then continued using east to Wind Cave Nat'l Pk, Crazy Horse Mountain, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood and then back east again to Wall Drug, Badlands Nat'l Park, the magnificent Dignity Sculpture in Chamberlain South Dakota, a quick stop at the famed Corn Palace in Mitchell and then on to Chicago, Niagara Falls, Syracuse and then south back home to Florida.