Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2021, 01:13 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I use Google maps and go over the route before any trips. Still want to buy a Garmin 770 or something similar just haven't gotten around to do it

Jerry
Get Garmin’s 780 or 785 you will be happy

Old 02-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #42

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Gps

I just give the wife a map and she tells me where to go
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Mine tells me where to go without even using a map.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:11 AM   #44

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mine tells me where to go without even using a map.
Same here and it's often
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:19 AM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've decided that my name should be "Beelzebub"
She's given me so much Hell over the years; that I must own the entire thing by now!
Old 02-24-2021, 12:44 AM   #46

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Same here and it's often

My DW likes to tell me how her phone maps ap would go a different way and it shows that if would be like 5 minutes faster. She likes it a lot.....
Old 02-24-2021, 02:29 AM   #47
BC1

Model: 24HE
THOR #20090
Hey Guys,

2 things - I put sale on hold temporarily. I literally can't dig out the snow to be able to open the slide for the MH so I can't really show it right now. I did get a couple of people who wanted to see it. In the meantime I'll see if I can figure out a plan B. I have some thoughts.

I guess I should clarify that I am not opposed to new technology, it's just that I don't need a piece of technology for so many situations. Some consider an RV GPS so valuable or important that you have to have it. I do not. Some would probably say you are saving a few bucks (or some time) for something that might save your life but that still doesn't change my mind.

I have a work-issued iPhone and an android for personal phone. I have 3 laptops, 1 desktop, smart TVs, digital photo frames, 2 high end digital cameras, etc. I DO NOT have Alexa or Ring doorbells and things like that. They are a time suck to me (just another thing to deal with programming/fixing/charging/batteries, etc). I hear my daughter say "Alexa turn on the kitchen lights" when she walks in the house. She tells me "well it's helpful when you have your hands full of groceries" - humm ok - but that's not something I would ever want.

I DO, however, have the Nest CO/Smoke detectors because I have had CO leaks two times and my daughter had a very bad CO leak that her Nest detected very early. The firemen were impressed. It was so bad they wouldn't even let her in the house to get her cat for a while. If I'm at work my phone will tell me it is going off so I don't come home to find my animals dead. That is technology that I consider valuable. But everyone has a different definition of valuable and that is totally fine. I'm just trying to get away from so much technology and get back to living because I realize how much time I spend dealing with technology (not necessarily using it but all the other stuff that comes with it).

Hope you all have a great week. Take care, Beth
Old 02-24-2021, 02:40 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Beth,
Sorry to see that you are so seriously snowed-in.
But I hope that a Plan B makes itself known to you...
Old 02-24-2021, 02:47 AM   #49

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
Hey Guys,

2 things - I put sale on hold temporarily. I literally can't dig out the snow to be able to open the slide for the MH so I can't really show it right now. I did get a couple of people who wanted to see it. In the meantime I'll see if I can figure out a plan B. I have some thoughts.

I guess I should clarify that I am not opposed to new technology, it's just that I don't need a piece of technology for so many situations. Some consider an RV GPS so valuable or important that you have to have it. I do not. Some would probably say you are saving a few bucks (or some time) for something that might save your life but that still doesn't change my mind.

I have a work-issued iPhone and an android for personal phone. I have 3 laptops, 1 desktop, smart TVs, digital photo frames, 2 high end digital cameras, etc. I DO NOT have Alexa or Ring doorbells and things like that. They are a time suck to me (just another thing to deal with programming/fixing/charging/batteries, etc). I hear my daughter say "Alexa turn on the kitchen lights" when she walks in the house. She tells me "well it's helpful when you have your hands full of groceries" - humm ok - but that's not something I would ever want.

I DO, however, have the Nest CO/Smoke detectors because I have had CO leaks two times and my daughter had a very bad CO leak that her Nest detected very early. The firemen were impressed. It was so bad they wouldn't even let her in the house to get her cat for a while. If I'm at work my phone will tell me it is going off so I don't come home to find my animals dead. That is technology that I consider valuable. But everyone has a different definition of valuable and that is totally fine. I'm just trying to get away from so much technology and get back to living because I realize how much time I spend dealing with technology (not necessarily using it but all the other stuff that comes with it).

Hope you all have a great week. Take care, Beth

I dont think anyone said you were against technology and I agree for my travels I dont think I need one. Google maps has worked just fine. at some point I'll get one because I want it not because I need it. I have all kinds of gadgets at the house. Alarm, cameras, ring, wemo, wyze Everything I think that would protect the house when Im gone. I can control all of it from my phone Technology is great but I dont really need a gps now

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:59 AM   #50

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Perhaps you read my repsonse to beths sale post.

If not Luddite, than what?

Buggywhip and typewriter.
Usable but the value/time/ability is certainly questioned.
I have a gazateer for every state we offroad in.
It is not primary. With what's available it should not be considered primary, no more than taking your horse to walmart is the best or even reasonable, tack.
One step Less than a paper map is hanging your head out the window and asking a local. This has its advantages...on occasion, not as a rule.

I did not say to take to my path. I said some here use a path that has been greatly improved upon. To disregard those improved paths simply for the sake of disregarding them...is Luddite territory.

Have your paper map find an open cafe at 3 am or an emergency clinic and their phone number.
Get back to us.
There isn't a thing wrong with a map. There is a thing wrong wit not considering the better tool for any job. I can change a clutch with a pipe wrench and a big screwdriver. It does not suit the job well.

The pictures are of about half of my maps for what equates to about ONE county and a vaguely small percentage of another.
I rely heavily on old technology. I do not mire myself because of it.

But those without a smart phone have a reason. Its unreasonable usually, but they have their own reason.
Just don't try to foist it on me as some cure for the evils of advancement,
If you're not running bias ply tires as part of the 'not me' plan, where does technology stop for you?

My original response was so those maybe unfamiliar and a bit apprehensive could see the myriad of choices and availabilities.
This response is to question why something as fully serving as a map app is disdained.
Do what works best for you and what you like, don't pass judgement when others do not use your preferred method and try to force your opinion on others. No one way of navigating the roads is better than the other, they will both get you too your destination when used correctly.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #51

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
I got stuck on Truck Map. It's free phone app and only shows you where a rig your size can go.

It's very easy to use and its worked so well that I haven't looked any further at anything else. But some good suggestions in this thread so I probably should take a look.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Truck Map"? I'm gonna take a peek at that: thanks!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #53
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
My wife argues with the GPS. Calss it Sally because she says it is annoying
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #54

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
My wife argues with the GPS. Calss it Sally because she says it is annoying

Ha!! We refer to ours as "Chatty Cathy."

And half the time, I go the way I want to anyway. That's how one finds subjects to photograph.

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
In a Tiffin RV: ours is named "Tiffany".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #56

State: Ohio
THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
In a Tiffin RV: ours is named "Tiffany".
I don’t go anywhere with out my gps with built in dash camera.it’s what it is