Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2022, 03:07 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
RV Travel Wizard / RV GPS

Not sure if there was anything already like this on the site, but wanted to see if anyone had quick answers to my initial experience with the RV Travel Wizard & RV GPS. I just used them both for 1st time for trip that I am currently in.

Few things I struggled with

1. When you schedule a trip you can schedule a number of stops. But the apps seems to act like the stop is a place you spend overnight. For instance, I scheduled a stop for a Gas station about an hour from Dallas. When I got to the Stop, there was no way for me to tell the RV GPS I was at the stop Part of the issue was the RV GPS was sending me to a wrong location and not the actual location of the Gas station. I tried to ignore to go because I had 10 other Stops, but it would not allow me to tell it I had completed the 1st stop to go on to the 2nd stop. It seemed like I had to go back to RV Travel Wizard and delete the trip and reload just to get rid of stop 1. I figured I was doing something wrong so I had to turn it off, because I did not want to log into RV Trip wizard on my phone. What am I missing?

2. Does the RV GPS app rotate to be horizontal?

3. Is there anyway to have the app calculate expected delays associated with a stop, I call a waypoint. i.e. 20 minutes to get gas?

4. Is there anyway to change the password to the RV Travel Wizard & RV GPS without changing password on the forum? My reason is I would like to give my wife access to the RV Travel Wizard & RV GPS to help plan trips, but why do I have to give her my forum password? Currently when I am driving she is on the phone looking up next stops etc.

5. Because it assumes your stops are final destinations, it does not show you the true arrival time for you actual destination. i.e. I plan to drive to Memphis, spend the night but I want 5 stops on the way.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Your time at stops such as fuel stops should be factored into you average distance per hour. My system is set to 50 miles per hour with a 7 hour travel day.

Check out the various you tubes on RV Trip Wizard. The fuel feature is great once you learn how it is used and set.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:33 AM   #3

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Your time at stops such as fuel stops should be factored into you average distance per hour. My system is set to 50 miles per hour with a 7 hour travel day.

Check out the various you tubes on RV Trip Wizard. The fuel feature is great once you learn how it is used and set.
I have looked at a number of those You Tube videos. Don't laugh but it took me 3 videos to figure out how to enter a destination. It was very clear to get a Start Location but not intuitive to tell it where you wanted to go. But I admit it is easy now that I know.

I think I have it set to let the system calculate and I can play with adjusting drive speed, but if I can't have a few planned stops or waypoints on my trip for a given day or 7 hours; it diminishes value. I would like to know how far I am away from my next rest stop / gas and how far away I am from where I am going to spend the night. It treats everything as a Stop.

But the biggest hurdle I saw in 1 day of usage was not being able to tell it that one of the Stops was complete so I could move on to the next Stop. That was only necessitated because it had wrong direction for my very 1st destination about 2 1/2 miles to be exact. It would have had me turnaround and go opposite direction of where I was headed. So I had to just turn it off and go back to my regular GPS.

On the flip slide, I think the RV Trip Wizard is great tool for planning when just sitting down figuring out where you want to go. On my return trip I will try again, but this time I once I get my trip, I will manually enter into normal GPS tool and see how that goes.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-22-2022, 01:23 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

I'll second that comment. Over the years we have learned that we average 50 miles an hour even on freeway days. This allows for a stop to walk around in a park or antique shop. We try to plan fuel stops late in the day unless we're heading for a state with higher fuel prices.

I still miss the old Streets &Trips software.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 38KB
State: Florida
THOR #23660
Timely thread as I am looking to begin a cross North America trip next week. I am looking for thoughts on RV trip Wizard vs. RV Life Pro. Any pros and cons between the two??
Old 01-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmerrithew View Post
Timely thread as I am looking to begin a cross North America trip next week. I am looking for thoughts on RV trip Wizard vs. RV Life Pro. Any pros and cons between the two??
RV Trip Wizard is part of RV Life Pro
Old 01-28-2022, 06:28 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmerrithew View Post
I just got back from a trip. Kind off mixed on what to say. It is like when you get that Sweater for Christmas, you wish to be nice and respectful and you put it own to see how it fits, but somehow you never get back to putting it on again.

I think it has so much potential, but I could not make it outside of Dallas 1 hour before I had to revert back to my status quo. I even tried the return trip hoping I may fair better; but it just didn't seem to want me to plan a trip the way I need; rather it was fixated on camping stops. Even when had a trip the way you light, there was no way that I could find to tell the tool you had completed one plan stop for it to move on to the next without having to delete the stop which required going back into the RV Wizard Tool.

With all that said, I would love to be a part of where they are soliciting input for future features. Really look forward to seeing your experience. I may learn something that I missed.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #8

THOR #13058
I tried again

It has been 3 months and the RV Trip Planner and RV GPS has has some upgrades. I used over this past weekend, and while I did see some relevant improvements. This tool is still not functional for my needs or application.

I had to shut it down mid trip again.

Issues noted.

1. It was not updating the remaining miles to the next turn. I tried stopping restarting several times. It was as if that part of screen was frozen.
2. If you change plans mid trip, you can not tell the RV GPS to skip a previously planned stop or that you completed it. Example, I had a planned stop for a Loves gas station, but on the way I saw an incredible price $3.44 at a Pilot, so I stopped their and filled up. I could not tell the RV GPS to skip my next planned stop. Eventually I had to turn it off.
3. It would repeatedly give you obvious bad directions. If it really knew something to take me off course, I could not trust it base on it telling you to turn around going wrong way on interstate where you may have stopped
4. To many User buttons to press to start a trip.
5. Overall it is still too buggy, but it is loaded with potential. I can't see it replacing my Waze but at one point I had both running at the same time. I wish they would tell you why the RV route may be different than the Auto route? The RV route in one city took me down road with lots of overhanging trees, where if I had gone my normal route I would have been on a Interstate in 1/2 mile going down a one way street to get there.

Update: Adding link to similar thread
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...tml#post342216