Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owner Classifieds Buy | Sell |Trade > Thor Owner Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You are correct on both counts.

MotorHome magazine had done a three-way test between Sprinter Class A, B, and C. The Class B was indeed quicker to 60 MPH in 19 seconds. That's roughly 20% faster.

Because all were limited by the same Sprinter maximum GVWR, the lighter Class B had the highest realistic Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity at 2,300 pounds. By comparisison the heavier Class A Reyo only had 790 pound ROCCC.

When comparing motorhomes on otherwise identical chassis, it's easy to see why it pays big time to keep weight down. In this case much faster acceleratin, better fuel economy, and much higher occupant and cargo capacity.

Winnebago ERA 70X Sprinter Review
Wow, I didn't know it was that low. This explains why there were so many used Reyo's on the market. I was seriously looking at purchasing a used Reyo before purchasing the Axis, that would have been a big mistake.

19 seconds for a motorhome is pretty good.

Thanks for providing the link, I try to research as much as possible.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #62

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That's the main reason I can see to getting an Axis over a similar-size Class C.

As a point of interest, the first Class A built on E-Series that I'm aware of also had this capability, but did not have the step up to the driving area. Its level floor made it even nicer in my opinion because it integrated the cab area into living area even more so. That motorhome is no longer in production.
I remember reading about this on the IRV2 forum, at the time I thought the Axis was the first of it's kind. It was one of the main selling points in my decision to purchase the Axis.

There are also some dis-advantages in this design that I learned about when I had to take my Axis to the Ford truck service to have a bad alternator replaced. The mechanic stated that it was almost an impossible job to reach the bolts needed to remove the alternator. He also stated that he could see other critical components that would be tough to remove. He did state that this was not uncommon with Class A motorhomes. He said they had to actually cut a large hole in the side of a class A motorhome in order to replace a part and then send it to a fiberglass shop to repair the hole. I guess this is one advantage a traditional class C has over the Axis.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #63

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I think you can analyze, re analyze, over analyze till the cows come home (shows my age) at the end of the day you see a unit that will fill most of your needs. Its like looking at houses, you will never find everything you want but when you finally walk into that one house you'll know its right.
This is very true but i feel better when I over analyze a decision. My wife gets on me about over researching things...lol. I think it comes from being an engineer.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #64

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
[QUOTE=timp410;34236]This is very true but i feel better when I over analyze a decision. My wife gets on me about over researching things...lol. I think it comes from being an engineer.[/QUOTE

I'm the same way drives DW nuts. When we bought our RV, we saw it and bought it and it works great for us.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #65

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yeah, better to over analyze than under analyze.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #66

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
I concur, it doesn't make since to market a Class A any smaller than the Axis. When I purchased the Axis, I thought I could get away with using it similarly to the way I used my 1996 Coach House. However, it just didn't work out. My Sprinter is 22.9 feet long, so far I have been able to do most of what I did with my Coach House. The Sprinter also has a car like feel in the way it drives. I cannot believe how quite and smooth it is on the road.
What i meant was that it would make sense to market a Class B that is slightly larger than an Axis in width only, and then it would be only partially wider. Probably by using a slide out to move that 30 inch hallway such as in the Roadtrek to a 60 inch such as in the Axis. Open it up a little. That would give it a "tiny apartment living room" feel instead of the "front room, back room with a hallway in between feel" they currently have. And that trying hard to be useless shower set up they have in the 190 or 210. Some people like me would like to be a combination of traveler and sitter. Just my perspective after looking at RVs for way to long and finding too many compromises having to be made in most of them. Might slow down all this trading i see online using the excuse, "we are selling to buy larger", or we are downsizing . None of this probably makes any sense to you veterans.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #67

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
....cut....
Might slow down all this trading i see online using the excuse, "we are selling to buy larger", or we are downsizing . None of this probably makes any sense to you veterans.
I don't consider myself a veteran, but think the greater number of motorhomes you have been exposed to, the more you know exactly what you want. Why buy something you know has flaws (as they affect you).

Someone mentioned too much analyzes. I think it's more about not wanting to compromise on things you already know don't work for you.

One example: My wife and I both dislike corner beds. We tried one for a week in a rental and just didn't like it. So it makes sense we would never buy an RV with a corner bed.

Over the years you figure what works for you and what doesn't.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #68

THOR #1478
[QUOTE=KNMIB;34245]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
This is very true but i feel better when I over analyze a decision. My wife gets on me about over researching things...lol. I think it comes from being an engineer.[/QUOTE

I'm the same way drives DW nuts. When we bought our RV, we saw it and bought it and it works great for us.
Maybe most men are that way...lol.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #69

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
What i meant was that it would make sense to market a Class B that is slightly larger than an Axis in width only, and then it would be only partially wider. Probably by using a slide out to move that 30 inch hallway such as in the Roadtrek to a 60 inch such as in the Axis. Open it up a little. That would give it a "tiny apartment living room" feel instead of the "front room, back room with a hallway in between feel" they currently have. And that trying hard to be useless shower set up they have in the 190 or 210. Some people like me would like to be a combination of traveler and sitter. Just my perspective after looking at RVs for way to long and finding too many compromises having to be made in most of them. Might slow down all this trading i see online using the excuse, "we are selling to buy larger", or we are downsizing . None of this probably makes any sense to you veterans.
There maybe a structure limitation with a slide that large on a Class B. I am basing this off the current size of the make and model of the current Class B's that do have slides.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #70

THOR #2121
I've seen pictures of Class Bs with deep slides, but only off the back through rear doors.

Beyond structural issues (which I think can be overcome), the biggest problem I see is that if the slide is deep, then it blocks all traffic through a narrow van when slide is retracted.