Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2021, 01:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Cables or Chains

We're headed up to Washington from sunny California, passing through Grant's Pass we may hit some snow. What is easier or better for Class C motorhome chains or cables. Thank you to all that respond in advance.

__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 1,407
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdesert RV View Post
We're headed up to Washington from sunny California, passing through Grant's Pass we may hit some snow. What is easier or better for Class C motorhome chains or cables. Thank you to all that respond in advance.
You're definitely braver than me...
Good luck and safe travels!!
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:44 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Lolol... its a possibility of snow. We're leaving Saturday, they haven't had snow yet. We've done the drive in our car in snow, that was easy.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
THOR #13932
No preference but there is a very fair chance the rear fenderwells will not allow for chains nor cable.
You'd have to mount them on the inside tire, and I don't think they'll clear the springs.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Ok. What's the tell on that? We have subaru cars and they don't recommend it either, but suggest cables because of the wheel wells. I doubt we'll need them, but will have them incase.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:15 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
No preference but there is a very fair chance the rear fenderwells will not allow for chains nor cable.
You'd have to mount them on the inside tire, and I dont think they'll clear the springs.
Ok I did some more reading. Figured out the tell on wheel well. Thank you for your help in this matter.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 810
THOR #3916
Do some research on the "Snow/Tire Sox"
__________________
current coach
An SOB called Foretravel
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:34 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Do some research on the "Snow/Tire Sox"
I saw those also. Those look pretty awesome. Have you used them?
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:35 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You're definitely braver than me...

Good luck and safe travels!!
Thank you... I'll keep everyone updated on our journey. Thank you.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 876
THOR #17765
If I drove a motor home of any size on a snowy road , my aŚ would probably be permanently puckered closed. And my hands would need to be surgically removed from the steering wheel. And I grew up driving in WV. Good luck, friend!
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
paulwadley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 1,781
THOR #12698
You might look at the vehicle owners manual to determine if they have a requirement between cables and chains. You might also want to drive after the roads have been cleared or when the sun is up to help eliminate the ice conditions while driving.

Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Texas
Posts: 168
THOR #17449
run up the Oregon Coast instead. More chance of snow on The Sexton summit coming into Oregon
__________________
GTM41261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 21,864
THOR #8860
Snowy mountain passes in a motorhome: i'd rather take the bus!
__________________
"What: me worry?"
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 810
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdesert RV View Post
I saw those also. Those look pretty awesome. Have you used them?
Not on our coach as there is no clearance between the outside tire and the air bags.. but have seen them used on an 18 wheeler.. Just keep in mind that they will not last on dry or just wet pavement.. only for running in snow pack.. I carry a full set just to satisfy the state requirements to have on board during inclimate weather..
If the roads get bad enough that traction devices are required, We just park and wait it out.. Have waited the weather out for a week or so on several occasions.. no biggie.
[Disclaimer.. Our coach has "Outboard" mounted air bags.. ]
__________________
current coach
An SOB called Foretravel
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
THOR #13932
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec...jsp?techid=125
I vaguely, perhaps falsely, remember seeing a sign somewhere that read:
'Three peak tires and chains on board required'.

You might get a pass through the pass if you have three peak.

A hint:
If you haven't installed snow chains onto frozen/caked dual tires, alongside the road, in a crowded pullout, in a windstorm...
Don't be so silly as to think you can install snow chains onto frozen/caked dual tires, alongside the road, in a crowded pullout, in a windstorm.

Chains are a practice multiple times at home, from scratch, unload, install, remove, load, unload, install....
MANY chain install turnouts have time limits and fines for going over those time limits.

Punchline:
If you haven't...
Don't
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
Posts: 163
THOR #10717
I have used the snow socks on my Thor Vegas 24.1 on a steep downhill that was snowy coming down from Anthony Lakes in Baker City, OR. It was super sketchy. It did help with slowing down (along w/ using the engine brake). Took me about an hour to descent 5000 ft and 7 miles. At low speed they do work well, you are just limited to 15-20 mph or so. They are emergency use only to get you out of a jamb or off a ski mountain resort. I would not plan a trip where i would need these on a highway in snow or ice. Its really dang dangerous to drive in the snow/ice with the RV, i avoid it as much as possible.
__________________
gte534j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:26 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
If I drove a motor home of any size on a snowy road , my aŚ would probably be permanently puckered closed. And my hands would need to be surgically removed from the steering wheel. And I grew up driving in WV. Good luck, friend!
Thank you for the response. It's the 5 fwy, so far the weather forecast is rain with possibility of snow. We have already made this our last trip up north this late into December, more if a spring trip. Its nice to get out of Southern California and experience seasons.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:29 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec...jsp?techid=125
I vaguely, perhaps falsely, remember seeing a sign somewhere that read:
'Three peak tires and chains on board required'.

You might get a pass through the pass if you have three peak.

A hint:
If you haven't installed snow chains onto frozen/caked dual tires, alongside the road, in a crowded pullout, in a windstorm...
Don't be so silly as to think you can install snow chains onto frozen/caked dual tires, alongside the road, in a crowded pullout, in a windstorm.

Chains are a practice multiple times at home, from scratch, unload, install, remove, load, unload, install....
MANY chain install turnouts have time limits and fines for going over those time limits.

Punchline:
If you haven't...
Don't
This will be our last trip up north in the winter, we will start doing spring trips there. I really do appreciate your advice and knowledge. Thank you.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:30 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
I have used the snow socks on my Thor Vegas 24.1 on a steep downhill that was snowy coming down from Anthony Lakes in Baker City, OR. It was super sketchy. It did help with slowing down (along w/ using the engine brake). Took me about an hour to descent 5000 ft and 7 miles. At low speed they do work well, you are just limited to 15-20 mph or so. They are emergency use only to get you out of a jamb or off a ski mountain resort. I would not plan a trip where i would need these on a highway in snow or ice. Its really dang dangerous to drive in the snow/ice with the RV, i avoid it as much as possible.
Thank you for replying and the information/experience you have provided. I'll ho as slow as I need to be safe.
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:32 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: California
Posts: 14
THOR #25385
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
run up the Oregon Coast instead. More chance of snow on The Sexton summit coming into Oregon
I was looking at that also. How is that drive? It's on the 1?
__________________
Highdesert RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2