Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 734
THOR #5313
Of note, I just replaced tires on my 07 Chevy Suburban (bought new 05/06) due cracking that was far more severe. Dry rot cracks in both tread blocks and sidewall. They were Continentals that were installed early 2011. There was only about 10k of use but had not seen much use after we got RV.

__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:25 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 5,399
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post

....cut...

Wondering if Forum members are practicing the 6yr tire replacement rule?
Canít speak for others. In my case, no. I go more by tire condition than age.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:36 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,643
THOR #11781
I have read on lots of websites that tires are manufactured with compounds that protect the tires from UV and ozone. These compounds work their way to the surface as the tire rolls and flexes down the road. When the tire is static and not moved, the compounds do not provide the protection. So I use my coach as much as possible and inspect the tires for surface cracks. When they crack, I buy new ones. When replacing tires, I always start with the steers and work my way back. I usually by them two at a time.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 734
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Canít speak for others. In my case, no. I go more by tire condition than age.
Yes, I do same depending on application. SUV loading much lower than RV as percentage. RV tires I look at very carefull as being caught out in the middle of nowhere is worth avoiding. I had heard of issues with OEM michelins start as early as 3.5 years. Tread was excellent depth, only very faint cracks why take chance? RV was smoother with the new tires. In future, will be 5 years if towing out of state.

Ordering open race trailer tires this week as spares are showing cracking so current tires are 5 years and will become new spares as I will mount new on spares.

Hot florida summer florida roads are tough on tires.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 1,207
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey get some tire spray or my favorite 303
Right on. Been using it for years and easier than tire covers.
__________________
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,817
THOR #6903
We have a great second use market for HD 22.5 inch tires in the Mid-West. Any and all take off tires wind up on trailers and are usually capped later on and ran for years.

The only tires we ever changed religiously are the steer axle and almost always went with Michelins. My current Michelins on the Tuscany are 6 years old and look new. They will be on there until next year for sure and perhaps on year 8 they will move to a grain trailer with a new set of Michelins on the steer only.

Everyone should monitor the condition of their tires but do do a thorough inspection you need to pull the duals so not an easy or cheap thing to do. Not bad for 16 or 19.5 inch but a bit of a chore for the 22.5's.
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,623
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We have a great second use market for HD 22.5 inch tires in the Mid-West. Any and all take off tires wind up on trailers and are usually capped later on and ran for years.

The only tires we ever changed religiously are the steer axle and almost always went with Michelins. My current Michelins on the Tuscany are 6 years old and look new. They will be on there until next year for sure and perhaps on year 8 they will move to a grain trailer with a new set of Michelins on the steer only.

Everyone should monitor the condition of their tires but do do a thorough inspection you need to pull the duals so not an easy or cheap thing to do. Not bad for 16 or 19.5 inch but a bit of a chore for the 22.5's.
Interesting: Our Axis had Michelins on it (see pic I posted above). When I took it to the tire shop to get them replaced the tech said "Oooh yeah Michelins we see a lot of them with rot like that". (Yes the usual caveots apply here: They didn't sell Michelin, he did have some skin in the game since he was selling me new tires, etc.).

They sold us 6 Cooper tires. So far, after 2 years they still look as good as new (of course its only been 2 years but the coach has been sitting a bit more due to the elephant in the room and I wasn't able to cover it for winter like I usually do).
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 5,399
THOR #2121
Different vehicles

As smaller single-rear-wheel van campers become more popular, please be aware that installing new tires in front is not necessarily the best choice (if only replacing two at a time).

With larger motorhomes that have dual-rear-wheels, one can make a good argument for having best tires in front because a rear blow-out has a built-in backup; whereas the fronts donít.

However, when vehicles only have four wheels (SRW) like most vans do, a rear blowout can be much more dangerous than a front blowout. For that reason I would install my best tires on rear axle when equipped with single tires.

Personally, I rotate tires often enough that I usually end up replacing all four at same time.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 734
THOR #5313
Chance - another interesting note, my rear duals showed more wear than the fronts on vegas e450. Was not a great amount after 35k miles but fronts def had more tread by +3/32" . I am meticulous with keeping pressures equal and check frequently. Front axle has a lot high % of axle capacity used even with trailer connected. Rear has a bunch of extra capacity. It was uniform across all 4 rears.

I know my buddy had a slow leak in one of duals and it wore that pair fast. Maybe in best of circumstances the rears can fight each other some?
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 734
THOR #5313
I rotate for wear on everything but RV. Relative cost and actual usage vs age, seems like not worth effort on RV.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,194
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As smaller single-rear-wheel van campers become more popular, please be aware that installing new tires in front is not necessarily the best choice (if only replacing two at a time).



With larger motorhomes that have dual-rear-wheels, one can make a good argument for having best tires in front because a rear blow-out has a built-in backup; whereas the fronts donít.



However, when vehicles only have four wheels (SRW) like most vans do, a rear blowout can be much more dangerous than a front blowout. For that reason I would install my best tires on rear axle when equipped with single tires.



Personally, I rotate tires often enough that I usually end up replacing all four at same time.


Also if you have the more worn tires on the rear they can lose traction more easily in the turns or on wet roads. This leads to oversteer which generally is much more difficult for most people to handle than understeer. Most tire dealers will advise putting the newest/best tires on the rear of your car for that reason. Notwithstanding, on my class A with duals in the rear and my driving style Iíd probably put new on the front if I wasnít replacing all six.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 3,914
THOR #13932
It only took 60 plus plus years to erase the
6 months or 3,000 mile oil change media hypnosis.
It still exists in about 10 percent of people by way of their belief in the 1954 version of their dads experience being valid today. Science and life experience be damned.


You're being sold tires.
At 6 year intervals.
Think in a direction not based on a blurb in an advertisement.
Rv magazines are designed so every possible word supports their advertiser.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,817
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting: Our Axis had Michelins on it (see pic I posted above). When I took it to the tire shop to get them replaced the tech said "Oooh yeah Michelins we see a lot of them with rot like that". (Yes the usual caveots apply here: They didn't sell Michelin, he did have some skin in the game since he was selling me new tires, etc.).

They sold us 6 Cooper tires. So far, after 2 years they still look as good as new (of course its only been 2 years but the coach has been sitting a bit more due to the elephant in the room and I wasn't able to cover it for winter like I usually do).
There apparently were some sidewall cracking issues with some of the RV Energy line a few years back. No failures that were documented. RV's tend to run on the underinflated side to use them for air springs rather than truckers that inflate them either to the max sidewall or very close and they stay at the psig for many years and are not checked daily but perhaps monthly

Michelin owns several other brands as you are probably aware of
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2