Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 03:13 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Of note, I just replaced tires on my 07 Chevy Suburban (bought new 05/06) due cracking that was far more severe. Dry rot cracks in both tread blocks and sidewall. They were Continentals that were installed early 2011. There was only about 10k of use but had not seen much use after we got RV.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:25 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post

....cut...

Wondering if Forum members are practicing the 6yr tire replacement rule?
Can’t speak for others. In my case, no. I go more by tire condition than age.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:36 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I have read on lots of websites that tires are manufactured with compounds that protect the tires from UV and ozone. These compounds work their way to the surface as the tire rolls and flexes down the road. When the tire is static and not moved, the compounds do not provide the protection. So I use my coach as much as possible and inspect the tires for surface cracks. When they crack, I buy new ones. When replacing tires, I always start with the steers and work my way back. I usually by them two at a time.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #24

THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Can’t speak for others. In my case, no. I go more by tire condition than age.
Yes, I do same depending on application. SUV loading much lower than RV as percentage. RV tires I look at very carefull as being caught out in the middle of nowhere is worth avoiding. I had heard of issues with OEM michelins start as early as 3.5 years. Tread was excellent depth, only very faint cracks why take chance? RV was smoother with the new tires. In future, will be 5 years if towing out of state.

Ordering open race trailer tires this week as spares are showing cracking so current tires are 5 years and will become new spares as I will mount new on spares.

Hot florida summer florida roads are tough on tires.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #25

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey get some tire spray or my favorite 303
Right on. Been using it for years and easier than tire covers.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #26

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We have a great second use market for HD 22.5 inch tires in the Mid-West. Any and all take off tires wind up on trailers and are usually capped later on and ran for years.

The only tires we ever changed religiously are the steer axle and almost always went with Michelins. My current Michelins on the Tuscany are 6 years old and look new. They will be on there until next year for sure and perhaps on year 8 they will move to a grain trailer with a new set of Michelins on the steer only.

Everyone should monitor the condition of their tires but do do a thorough inspection you need to pull the duals so not an easy or cheap thing to do. Not bad for 16 or 19.5 inch but a bit of a chore for the 22.5's.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We have a great second use market for HD 22.5 inch tires in the Mid-West. Any and all take off tires wind up on trailers and are usually capped later on and ran for years.

The only tires we ever changed religiously are the steer axle and almost always went with Michelins. My current Michelins on the Tuscany are 6 years old and look new. They will be on there until next year for sure and perhaps on year 8 they will move to a grain trailer with a new set of Michelins on the steer only.

Everyone should monitor the condition of their tires but do do a thorough inspection you need to pull the duals so not an easy or cheap thing to do. Not bad for 16 or 19.5 inch but a bit of a chore for the 22.5's.
Interesting: Our Axis had Michelins on it (see pic I posted above). When I took it to the tire shop to get them replaced the tech said "Oooh yeah Michelins we see a lot of them with rot like that". (Yes the usual caveots apply here: They didn't sell Michelin, he did have some skin in the game since he was selling me new tires, etc.).

They sold us 6 Cooper tires. So far, after 2 years they still look as good as new (of course its only been 2 years but the coach has been sitting a bit more due to the elephant in the room and I wasn't able to cover it for winter like I usually do).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Different vehicles

As smaller single-rear-wheel van campers become more popular, please be aware that installing new tires in front is not necessarily the best choice (if only replacing two at a time).

With larger motorhomes that have dual-rear-wheels, one can make a good argument for having best tires in front because a rear blow-out has a built-in backup; whereas the fronts don’t.

However, when vehicles only have four wheels (SRW) like most vans do, a rear blowout can be much more dangerous than a front blowout. For that reason I would install my best tires on rear axle when equipped with single tires.

Personally, I rotate tires often enough that I usually end up replacing all four at same time.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #29

THOR #5313
Chance - another interesting note, my rear duals showed more wear than the fronts on vegas e450. Was not a great amount after 35k miles but fronts def had more tread by +3/32" . I am meticulous with keeping pressures equal and check frequently. Front axle has a lot high % of axle capacity used even with trailer connected. Rear has a bunch of extra capacity. It was uniform across all 4 rears.

I know my buddy had a slow leak in one of duals and it wore that pair fast. Maybe in best of circumstances the rears can fight each other some?
Old 05-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #30

THOR #5313
I rotate for wear on everything but RV. Relative cost and actual usage vs age, seems like not worth effort on RV.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As smaller single-rear-wheel van campers become more popular, please be aware that installing new tires in front is not necessarily the best choice (if only replacing two at a time).

With larger motorhomes that have dual-rear-wheels, one can make a good argument for having best tires in front because a rear blow-out has a built-in backup; whereas the fronts don’t.

However, when vehicles only have four wheels (SRW) like most vans do, a rear blowout can be much more dangerous than a front blowout. For that reason I would install my best tires on rear axle when equipped with single tires.

Personally, I rotate tires often enough that I usually end up replacing all four at same time.

Also if you have the more worn tires on the rear they can lose traction more easily in the turns or on wet roads. This leads to oversteer which generally is much more difficult for most people to handle than understeer. Most tire dealers will advise putting the newest/best tires on the rear of your car for that reason. Notwithstanding, on my class A with duals in the rear and my driving style I’d probably put new on the front if I wasn’t replacing all six.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It only took 60 plus plus years to erase the
6 months or 3,000 mile oil change media hypnosis.
It still exists in about 10 percent of people by way of their belief in the 1954 version of their dads experience being valid today. Science and life experience be damned.

You're being sold tires.
At 6 year intervals.
Think in a direction not based on a blurb in an advertisement.
Rv magazines are designed so every possible word supports their advertiser.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #33

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting: Our Axis had Michelins on it (see pic I posted above). When I took it to the tire shop to get them replaced the tech said "Oooh yeah Michelins we see a lot of them with rot like that". (Yes the usual caveots apply here: They didn't sell Michelin, he did have some skin in the game since he was selling me new tires, etc.).

They sold us 6 Cooper tires. So far, after 2 years they still look as good as new (of course its only been 2 years but the coach has been sitting a bit more due to the elephant in the room and I wasn't able to cover it for winter like I usually do).
There apparently were some sidewall cracking issues with some of the RV Energy line a few years back. No failures that were documented. RV's tend to run on the underinflated side to use them for air springs rather than truckers that inflate them either to the max sidewall or very close and they stay at the psig for many years and are not checked daily but perhaps monthly

Michelin owns several other brands as you are probably aware of