Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We had that slide mechanism on our 5th wheel. It did exactly as you describe: lift up when first retracting as it lifted over the edge, then as it came in during the last few inches it would tilt in so that the sides would remain flush against the outside wall.

Have you looked at the underside of the slide to see if there was anything that could be causing it (maybe something sticking out?), also look near the top of the one section to see if something is jamming it?

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #22

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Wish I could help you, but we're dealing with our own slide-out issues. Just this past weekend when we extending the slide-out there were a couple of loud pops near the lower front of the slide-out. We still had about 6 inches to go before it would have fully extended. We stopped after hearing the pops and in looking at it I noticed the top was out just slightly more than the bottom. When we retracted the slide-out everything was fine until the last couple of inches when it started to pop again. We brought the unit by our friendly repair center (They're starting to call us by our first names now since we've been there so much) and they said the bottom rail is starting to get stripped in part by having a steel gear turning the aluminum rail. At this point they are saying it is at least a 2 day repair project. Good thing we purchased the extended warranty.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #8469
Thank you for your replies. I have checked top and bottom of the slide room and nothing is there that would cause a jam. I have tried all the adjustments described in the service manual and nothing is working.

At this point I am thinking the motor may be weak and need replacing. But that is just a guess. Has anyone had a similar issue with one of the top corners not retracting that can tell me how it was fixed?

Thanks again for your kind replies and attempts to help solve this issue.

Thanks,
RJeanes
Old 07-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #24

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Because I'm not familiar with the model of your coach and because it's older I can't say with any certainty but is there any moving part that extends underneath into a storage area. My son-in-law had a similiar problem and it turned out some part of the mechanism was striking a chair he had loaded in the cargo area but his MH is a completely different model.
I do have a question about some of the replies... where is this 5-10 second hold coming from for the reset? Lippert instructions say 3-5 seconds. I can't imagine holding the button for 10 seconds can be good for the motor.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #25

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Many slides had 2 or more motors that need to work in tandem. Holding the button briefly after reaching the end of the track ensures that all motors have reached the finish line and are equal and ready to make the next trip all lined up.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #26

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Many slides had 2 or more motors that need to work in tandem. Holding the button briefly after reaching the end of the track ensures that all motors have reached the finish line and are equal and ready to make the next trip all lined up.
Agree, my question had to do with holding the button 3x longer than the manufacturers instructions.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #27

State: Texas
THOR #3956
Scott, we are having the same popping and rack wear issue right now with our ACE 29.2.
Ours is a 2016 model with about 30,000 miles. No idea on how many cycles on the slide going in and out, but I would say a lot. We tend to keep moving, never in one place for more than 3 or4 days. Our top rack, drivers side, got so worn, it took 2 people to push the slide out enough for the gear to engage. After that, the slide worked normally. On retract, the slide would never make it in that last 1/2 inch.
I urge all owners to check for rack wear regularly. Bus is at Camping World now for repairs. Hopefully the extended service plan will cover it. I doubt it though.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 34J
State: North Carolina
THOR #10018
Had a similar situation with our 3 track slide. Would come in and then the lower side would continue and upper side would stop and start making a loud banging.

I took everything apart and found the rollers that help keep the gear in contact with the track had came apart.

Called Lippert and they sent all parts for me to make the repair free of charge. This on a 2 year old unit and I am very happy with there customer service.