Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Axis/Vegas spare tire

What I really want to know is.....have any of you Axis/Vegas owners ever changed your own flat tire?

I plan to carry a spare tire (mabe without rim) at minimum. That way the somewhat odd size tire would be ready to mount when repair truck arrives.

As for changing it myself, I am still fit enough to wrestle some tractor and most fullsize pickup tires. To be honest a motorhome seems like a huge job to change a flat out on the road.

Please share your story and your plan if you should have a flat.
Other model owners please jumping, but anything larger than an Axis requires equipment out ofmy league.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I haven't changed a flat but I have pulled a wheel as practice toward changing a flat.
I suggest anyone who thinks they can change a flat practice a couple of times at home.
Buy a torque multiplier. You'll be Damn sorry if you don't.
My little ryobi 18v impact wrench will take the lugs off. Buy the torque multiplier even if you have a battery impact wrench.

Also.
My 24.1 uses the same size tires as are on about a bazillion jeep wranglers.
Far from rare.
My 2018 allows for carrying a fully inflated spare inside the drivers side rear bin.
I do have a hitch mount carrier. We travel light and haven't needed the bin space so I haven't used the hitch mount yet.

Buy the wheel and mount the spare. Although some people carry only the tire, they really have never given a valid reason for doing this halfway.

Also
A government analysis has proven without the slightest doubt:
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
I, also, was considering just buying a tire so that the guy who comes out has a tire he'd sell you for way more than it's worth.

I changed my mind and got the wheel too because the mobile guy won't be able to balance the wheel/tire combo in the field. That leaves you with an unsafe wheel/tire until you get to the next town and have to get it balanced.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #4

THOR #24565
OK, good replies! My plan is one in progress and subject to me becoming smarter.
Since I don't yet have my Axis 24.1 I am seeking advice.

PS duckface, I'm not always happy either but try to remind myself that the Good Lord's blessings far out weigh my little pet peeves! Thank you.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:05 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I carry a mounted spare tire, 1/2" breaker bar with socket, 5 ton jack and jack stand. I have lifted the mounted tire (about 60 lbs) and have broken a few nuts with the bar and socket. I think I will be able to change most flats myself. If not, as in maybe the pull off is inclined too much to be safe jacking up or whatever, I will call Good Sams.

David
Old 09-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #6

THOR #24565
That is good you have a back-up plan.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I have both a spare and it is mounted on the rim. I carried it on a hitch mount when we drove from Calif. to Florida and back in 2019. I now have a tow dolly and have been towing our car with us. We did a trip from Calif to Kentucky without bringing my spare tire since we had our car. I was considering putting the r v spare inside the towed car so I have it with us too. We are planning another Calif to Florida trip in 2023 but may have a new coach to travel in by that time. It is comforting to know that if needed on the road, I have it ready whether I change it out or have a mobile tech change it out, it would be good to go.

Paul
Old 09-03-2021, 09:49 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
What I really want to know is.....have any of you Axis/Vegas owners ever changed your own flat tire?

I plan to carry a spare tire (mabe without rim) at minimum. That way the somewhat odd size tire would be ready to mount when repair truck arrives.

As for changing it myself, I am still fit enough to wrestle some tractor and most fullsize pickup tires. To be honest a motorhome seems like a huge job to change a flat out on the road.

Please share your story and your plan if you should have a flat.
Other model owners please jumping, but anything larger than an Axis requires equipment out ofmy league.
I have had several road service policies and had to use them numerous times. The first thing the operator asked is "are you parked in a safe place?". The second question is "do you have a serviceable aired-up spare?". If the answer is yes, the service truck usually arrives in a couple hours.
Once I had just installed tell-tale sensors on the tires (2005) when I found a flat tire after eating at a restaurant. I used my new flip phone to call Good Sam and ask them if the would send a truck to air up the tire. The answer was NO, they could not send a truck for air only, but if I had a serviceable spare they would send the truck. I did have a spare, so I said send the truck to change the tire. When the truck got there, I had him air up the tire after I removed the tell-tale. I signed the work order saying I was happy with the way he changed the tire and stored the spare. Both of us were happy.
Note spare on rear in the wilds Kodachrome Basin, UT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_0928_051642.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	33318  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
I carry a mounted spare on a hitch mount, I have been in the middle of nowhere sitting on the side of the road for a day + just waiting for them to even find a tire new or used. So, when I replaced my tires at 21,000 miles, changed because 5 years old, found a wheel and had the tire mounted. still have 5 good tires. in the shop. I have learned, peace of mind is more important than a little extra weight.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I, also, was considering just buying a tire so that the guy who comes out has a tire he'd sell you for way more than it's worth.

I changed my mind and got the wheel too because the mobile guy won't be able to balance the wheel/tire combo in the field. That leaves you with an unsafe wheel/tire until you get to the next town and have to get it balanced.
An unbalanced wheel/tire is not a safety issue.

For the OP, I have an ACE with 19.5" wheels/tires. I have removed and reinstalled tires several times including the duallies. 150 Ft-lb torque and heavy tires/wheels but I could change a spare if I needed to.

I do have a RA plan but failing that I could remove a flat dually, or move a good dually to replace a flat steer tire. Luckily, my there is a large margin between where the duallies normally run with air pressure/load and what pressure they can be pumped up to in an emergency slow trip back to civilization and I do carry an air pump that can do that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:29 PM   #11

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
An unbalanced wheel/tire is not a safety issue.
Really?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 09-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Really?

Really. Most semi trailer tires are not balanced. Utility trailer tires are not normally balanced. It is a comfort issue and for a way out of balance combo possibly a wear issue.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #13

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Really. Most semi trailer tires are not balanced. Utility trailer tires are not normally balanced. It is a comfort issue and for a way out of balance combo possibly a wear issue.
In most states, semi's don't go 70+ on the freeway.

Comparing a utility trailer to an MH, well.......

My MH rattles enough with balanced tires. Running with unbalanced? Well.....

Old 09-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
I contemplated caring a spare for many years but chose to purchase a industrial plug kit just to get us out of a bind, would only plug the rear duels but if a front tire goes you have to remember that you have two spares on the rear axel. Take one of your duels off and put on front until you can get to a tire shop... not much storage on the Axis so I decided not to carry one.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #15

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
I contemplated caring a spare for many years but chose to purchase a industrial plug kit just to get us out of a bind, would only plug the rear duels but if a front tire goes you have to remember that you have two spares on the rear axel. Take one of your duels off and put on front until you can get to a tire shop... not much storage on the Axis so I decided not to carry one.
I am fortunate to have a spare tire well built into the garage of our 28A. In considering all options, I went with what would get us back on the road as quickly as possible with the amount of work I was willing to put into the situation.

I opted for a spare wheel/tire. Hopefully a NASCAR pit crew is nearby.

Who knows, after I experience a failure, I may think things differently.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:09 AM   #16

THOR #5332
Heck ya if I had the room to fit a spare that would of been the route we took for sure but the Axis is limited...
Old 09-04-2021, 12:24 AM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm pretty sure, not sure sure
That
A 24.1 has 64 cubic feet of bin storage, more than most everything of any brand this side of a pusher.
Op is buying s 24.1

Someone who cares more can check the number for sure.

I carry my spare in a bin, the soft shackles and snatch straps and the 'damn berm! I'm stuck!' Kit live in the wheel under it, the fresh water hose, the macerator hose, my shore power line live on top. And there's still room above those. I also carry an 18 wheeler plug kit and, something few have heard of, emergency valve stems that can be used from OUTSIDE the wheel without breaking a bead, and two compressors.

If you utilize the wheel as a bucket, I don't think a spare takes up much space at all.
Or
99 bucks gets you a hitch mount carrier.

Get a spare.
The excuses to not have one are a bit vague.

Signed,
I havent had a flat on a rolling vehicle in 45 years, yet carry a spare.

P.s. it's not always about me. I carry it for others as readily as I carry it for myself.
Because
I
Can.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #18

THOR #5332
Different strokes for different folks...
Old 09-04-2021, 12:43 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

You must not be traveling the same Interstates I do. Not only to I get passed by semis in my MH when doing 65, I get passed by semis in my 4 wheeler doing 80.

And an out of balance tire may be fine at 50, bounce hard at 55, and be fine again at 70. Speed is not the only dynamic variable. But if you want to believe an out of balance tire is a safety issue you have my permission. Real world experience dictates otherwise.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #20

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:

Where i travel i get passed doing 70 by semi tractors all day